Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine recovery on Nikumaroro map  (Read 26412 times)

Alex Fox

• T1
Re: Engine recovery on Nikumaroro map
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »

Wow, thanks for the new maps!  Those are great.

Have you read any of TIGHAR's expedition reports?  It's not like looking around a shopping mall or even a small town. 

Yeah I've read most of those, that's why I thought it was kinda ludicrous the guy would just "stop off" again at Nikumaroro to search again, but you never know what people with Ameliamania will do.

Having not been intimately involved with TIGHAR for very long, I had not read some of the old issues from the 1990s (mail fraud, etc, seriously wow...), so I'm catching up with that.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »

Wow, thanks for the new maps!  Those are great.

My pleasure!

Yeah I've read most of those, that's why I thought it was kinda ludicrous the guy would just "stop off" again at Nikumaroro to search again, but you never know what people with Ameliamania will do.

Agreed.  One of the odd events in the history of the Phoenix islands was the voyage of the Yankee.  We also have some evidence from an island police officer and from the activity of a tuna trawler that boats can and do visit Niku without permission and without leaving a record. 

One last piece of evidence along these lines from the old Forum:

Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:42:20
Subject:      TIGHAR's everywhere

Here is a posting made today on Google Earth Community (board) on Google
Earth's "Gardner Island Theory". ...

Rick J #2751

"Gardner Island Theory [Re: A30]

I worked on Canton Island, Phoenix islands 1972-1975. This was an
operational location for SAMTEC and supporting SDC and NASA. We had
several helocopters operated by a contractor that ferried me and my
suppervisor to Enderbury Island. Hull Island had a crew to operate
the tracking equipment located there.

In their rare visits to the the other islands, they would drop off emergency
fuel and supply caches in case the case an emergency landing was required.
They would do some exploring. We later found out that the 65' Korean tuna
fishing boats that worked these waters raided these emergency caches. So it
was discontinued. A loss to all. The flight operations to these island where
discontinued in "late 73." ...
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

Delving into the voyage of the Yankee I looked up the address of Johnson's Bookstore, and it is still there. That was given as the address of the ship's owner, I believe. Maybe somebody should call them to see if they remember the Yankee. I wouldn't know exactly what questions would be most useful. When I refer to the "natives" in my posts, I just mean the Natives of the Pacific Islands in general. I'm just curious why Kilts and the PBY pilot got info possibly pertaining to Amelia, and the regular Coasties apparently did not. Not that I think they would have swum out to look for plane parts, but maybe they had a boat they could have searched with. Or did they? When I let my mind really wander, I speculate on the possibility of there being someone on the island  if and when  Amelia landed there. Especially in the days when there was probably little or no control of whoever wanted to go there. They might not have been friendly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:24:04 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

david alan atchason

• T3
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »

Yankee

I've modified your post for you.

You can do the same for any of your old posts.

Look at the post.  The "modify" button is up toward the right-hand corner.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org