Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Lexington search map  (Read 14291 times)

Mona Kendrick

• T2
USS Lexington search map
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
Re: USS Lexington search map
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »

Find the ship's roster and look for initials F. T. W.  F.W.T. (from note on map).

From the item description:

Antique Map

U.S.S. Lexington in Seach of
Amelia Earhart
July 1937

Found in a scrapbook owned by My Uncle who was serving on the Lexington.

Looks like he had pretty good access to the navigator and/or ship's logs.  Often things like this appear to be singular items, but many members of the crew actually ended up with copies.  Has anyone else ever seen a similar map?

Nice piece of Ameliana.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:59:37 PM by Walter Runck »

Mona Kendrick

• T2
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »

Find the ship's roster and look for initials F. T. W.

Where do you see the F.T.W. initials?  I can't get the image to zoom up enough to see details.

Mona
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:08:01 PM by J. Nevill »

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »

Actually, the initials are F.W.T. and if you go back to the ebay listing you can see them on the photo on the lower right.
Jim Stoveken

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »

Here's a beautiful Golden Shellback certificate from the Lex during the search.

Zach Reed

• T1
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »

Speaking of search maps, has the Niku Grid Map ever been superimposed onto the Lambrecht photo? Where is ER 29 (I think those are the Ren Tree coordinates)? The photo would appear to be looking almost straight at the Seven Site, albeit from well up in the air, and slightly off to the northwest. And this at just one week to the day that AE and FN went down.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 05:15:30 AM »

Speaking of search maps, has the Niku Grid Map ever been superimposed onto the Lambrecht photo?
Your question reminds me of this Forum thread from last year involving superimposing the Lambrecht photo.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org