Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fecal matter in the Fire  (Read 15955 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Fecal matter in the Fire
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »

Ric...Hi! Thanks for the book and thanks for the recent posting on Youtube (Finding Amelia) and the recent interview on AVWEB. I was really intuned with the part of your interview when you were talking that ancient fecal matter becomes hardened like a rock. We all know that most likely the island was wet at the time of her existence on this island and we all know that like most fecal matter when it reaches or hits water it dissolves. So I have a question for you and Tom, and the rest of the expedition staff...what happens to fecal matter if it becomes engulfed with fire. Let's say for example.....and this is only an example...that Fred is somewhat fatally injured from the wreck. Amelia has no other means to rid of his body, but to burn it. Does fecal matter become trapped in the body and harden at the time of decompsition due to the fire, or does it too dissolve like normal fecal matter does?

Also, several weeks ago you and I discussed the issue of freckle cream jar being found on the island. My question is....when the colonists were on the island...how many white people were there or were they only black people. Also, and your other readers can help me out with this question...but do black people get freckles? Why I ask this question is...if the colonists were only of black nature, and do not have freckle related features...is it true then that the finding may indeed hold a clue to Amelia's existence on the island? Also, the hangar that the military supposely had at the other end of the island...was it only operated by several men personnel or did it include women as well...? Anyway, let me know guys...thanks!!!!

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Fecal matter in the Fire
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:37:48 AM »

... We all know that most likely the island was wet at the time of her existence on this island ...

Evidence?  How do "we all know" that? 

Amelia has no other means to rid of his body, but to burn it.  ...

In the wet environment that "we all know" to have been the case in 1937?

You evidently have not burned enough fish, turkey, and chicken bones to find out how hard it is to reduce them to ash.  I haven't experienced anything larger myself, but the smaller carcasses suggest to me that turning a human carcass to ash would take a fairly sizable fire of long duration.  I doubt AE would think it easier to build a funeral pyre than to walk away from Fred's last resting place (with or without scraping something over him).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »

Also, the hangar that the military supposely had at the other end of the island...was it only operated by several men personnel or did it include women as well...?

As I understand what I've read it was not a hangar but rather a series of quonset huts.  Also, during WWII woman were only allowed to join the Coast Guard Auxilary and the largest part of their mission was: 

"The overarching mission of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary is to contribute to the safety and security of our citizens, ports, waterways and coastal regions."

In other words homeland security, they would not have been at an overseas site.

Also, my best guess would be that freckle cream would not be real high on the list of wants or needs of a 1940's era Pacific Islander.

LTM,

Don

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »

Ric...Hi! Thanks for the book and thanks for the recent posting on Youtube (Finding Amelia) and the recent interview on AVWEB. I was really intuned with the part of your interview when you were talking that ancient fecal matter becomes hardened like a rock. We all know that most likely the island was wet at the time of her existence on this island and we all know that like most fecal matter when it reaches or hits water it dissolves. So I have a question for you and Tom, and the rest of the expedition staff...what happens to fecal matter if it becomes engulfed with fire. Let's say for example.....and this is only an example...that Fred is somewhat fatally injured from the wreck. Amelia has no other means to rid of his body, but to burn it. Does fecal matter become trapped in the body and harden at the time of decompsition due to the fire, or does it too dissolve like normal fecal matter does?

Firstly it is highly unlickly that the survivor would have the time, energy or resources to build a fire big enough to burn a body.  Even if that were the case there would still be bone fragments as Marty says bone is hard to burn.  In cremation they rake the remains to a machine that then processes the bones into a dust. I havn't been able to find a reliable mention on what becomes of fecal matter that is 'cooked'.  My guess (forgive the sin) is that it would become dust like as the water content evaporates.

Also, several weeks ago you and I discussed the issue of freckle cream jar being found on the island. My question is....when the colonists were on the island...how many white people were there or were they only black people. Also, and your other readers can help me out with this question...but do black people get freckles? Why I ask this question is...if the colonists were only of black nature, and do not have freckle related features...is it true then that the finding may indeed hold a clue to Amelia's existence on the island? Also, the hangar that the military supposely had at the other end of the island...was it only operated by several men personnel or did it include women as well...? Anyway, let me know guys...thanks!!!!

The records show only service men at the Loran Station

There was at least one recorded western female visitor, pictured at the north end of the island. She might have left all her cosmetics on the island but i've never met a lady who would  :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:25:23 PM by Chris Johnson »

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »

If there was any fecal matter in the body (and that is, if AE had any reason to burn Fred's carcuss) at the time, you'd think that the matter would melt along with the rest of the body, unless I'm wrong on my assumption.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »

If there was any fecal matter in the body (and that is, if AE had any reason to burn Fred's carcuss) at the time, you'd think that the matter would melt along with the rest of the body, unless I'm wrong on my assumption.

I've done a lot of reading about 'poop' today (good job I run the web filter at work) and as it is made up of mostly water it appears that in high heat it will dry out and then turn to dust.  It dosn't mean that a slow cook might not make it harden as long as it isn't exposed to moisture again.

Many cultures dry out 'poop' and use it for making fire. but that is usualy 'poop' from herbivours that contains more fibrous materials.  Omnivors and carnivors produce less fertile 'poop' because of this.

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »

I've done a lot of reading about 'poop' today (good job I run the web filter at work) and as it is made up of mostly water it appears that in high heat it will dry out and then turn to dust. It dosn't mean that a slow cook might not make it harden as long as it isn't exposed to moisture again.

Many cultures dry out 'poop' and use it for making fire. but that is usualy 'poop' from herbivours that contains more fibrous materials. Omnivors and carnivors produce less fertile 'poop' because of this.

Thanks for the correction, Chris. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org