Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post-loss radio signal statistics with tides  (Read 21214 times)

Mike Piner

• T1
Post-loss radio signal statistics with tides
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »

I have been studing the chart called "Post-lost statistics with tides". It seems that the date change should be made at the GMT time of 1130 hours. In the chart the change is made at 2400 GMT.
 It  is commonly known that a 11.5 hour differential exist between GMT and local time at Howland Island.
  Further, Betty heard AE from 4:30 PM to 6:15 PM. Fla time.  Subtracting 6 hours I get Gardner time of 10:0AM to 12:15 pm, or 15 minutes after noon. 
LTM
Mike Piner
PS More to come on this chart.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Post-loss radio signal statistics with tides
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:35:07 PM »

I have been studing the chart called "Post-lost statistics with tides". It seems that the date change should be made at the GMT time of 1130 hours. In the chart the change is made at 2400 GMT.

I take it you mean "Post-Loss Signal Statistics for Source at Gardner," which is linked to from "Post-Loss Signal Statistics with Tide Information."

If not, please post the correct URL for the chart you're talking about.  That way, people can see what you are talking about.   ;)

I think the reason for changing the day's date at 2400 is that the days are also calculated in GMT.  That way, you can go from the GMT timeline to any locality you want by applying the right offset.  

That's just a guess ...
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:36:38 PM by moleski »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:13 AM »

Marty is correct.  Everything is calculated in GMT.  Time Zones in this investigation are a nightmare.
Itasca, standing off Howland, calculated local time as GMT minus 11.5 hours.
The Dept. of Interior personnel on Howland and the Coast Guard radio operator temporarily positioned on the island used GMT minus 10.5 hours - Hawaiian Time - for ease in keeping radio schedules with Honolulu. Today Hawaiian Time is GMT minus 10 hours.
The Coast Guard and Navy calculated local time at Gardner Island as GMT minus 11 hours.
Today, because the International Dateline was adjusted to keep all of Kiribati on the same day, we calculate local time at Nikumaroro as GMT plus 11.

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:45:36 AM »

Please click on Earhart Project, then click on "Tighars extensive archive of historical documents....", finding "The Earhart Project Archiives finding any subject", then scroll to "Post-loss Signals with Tide information"  click on "Statistics with Tides"  this brings you to the chart called "Post-loss Signal Statistics for Sources at Gardner".  Ric found it with no trouble.
   I agree that GMT is universal and easy.  Don't change the chart.  sunrise was at 1747 GMTon July 2, 1937 (probably will be this year too), sunset was at 0538GMT, midnight was at 1130GMT.
  I was going nuts trying to correlate the daytime, nightime, hightides, lowtides etc with the messages that is why i found this difference.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »

Please click on Earhart Project, then click on "Tighar's extensive archive of historical documents....", finding "The Earhart Project Archives finding any subject", then scroll to "Post-loss Signals with Tide information"  click on "Statistics with Tides"  this brings you to the chart called "Post-loss Signal Statistics for Sources at Gardner".  Ric found it with no trouble.

You'll notice that I found it, too.

That's because I'm familiar with how the website works and know how to search TIGHAR's website.

I'm asking you to please learn how to insert links into your Forum posts.  It is a grave discourtesy to those who would like to see what you are talking about to expect them to search the website to find the relevant text or image.

Ric did not have to search the website to find the document.  He helped to write it.  All he had to do was look in his head to confirm that the dates are deliberately given in GMT and therefore change at 2400 GMT. We are trying to arrange for a new interface that will allow everyone to look into Ric's head but it is not ready to go online at the present time.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23:27 AM »

We are trying to arrange for a new interface that will allow everyone to look into Ric's head but it is not ready to go online at the present time.

Talk to my wife, she has a working one installed on me.  She uses it so that she knows whenever I am planning anything devious or mischevious and stops it before I have had my fun.  Damn the bad luck... >:(

LTM,

Don

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »

... It is a grave discourtesy ...

Ah, but in this modern age, one can repent of such discourtesy in new and fascinating ways.  I'm sure that Marty has already forgiven you, Mike.   :)
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »

... It is a grave discourtesy ...

Ah, but in this modern age, one can repent of such discourtesy in new and fascinating ways.

That app only helps you do an examination of conscience.

Absolution still requires going to confession.   :P

I'm sure that Marty has already forgiven you, Mike.   :)

In principle, yes, of course.  "Let the one among us who has never forgotten to provide a hot link throw the first stone."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »

We are trying to arrange for a new interface that will allow everyone to look into Ric's head but it is not ready to go online at the present time.

When it does it will carry a warning:

Contains strong language and graphic imagery. Viewer discretion advised.

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

Ive logged out
mike

Mike Piner

• T1
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »

I thank Don and Bruce for their charitable attitudes in defending little ole me from the boorish attact of Feb 10 on this forum.  I apologize for being off topic.  I fully appreciate all the knowledge gained by me from this site.  I believe the Tighar Hypothesis will be proven sometime in the future.
Thanks
LTM
Mike 2777

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »

"Grave", Marty?  Come now - I would be damned to perdition... surely not!

Repentance is always an option.  You may make reparation for your wrongdoing at any time by modifying your old posts.   ;)

I really, seriously do want to encourage people to make it easy for their readers to go directly to what they are discussing rather than having to search for the material themselves.  The website is a labyrinth.  The more paths we mark out in it for others to follow, the better.  

The only thing worse than being able to see inside Ric's unabridged / un-edited head is the thought of mine being that accessible... which it often is at the fault of my own big mouth.  ;D

We've taken an oath against using ESP when dealing with mere mortals.  You may remove the tinfoil now.  

Yeah, the links are handy, but I'm still in Mike's camp for the most part when sharing or looking things up.  Guess I too should learn better... egad - gotta go and do some 'CBTs' online at work (that's 'Computer Based Training courses' to all who may not have had the joy).

Here is the tutorial on how to insert links in a post.  I'll add a video tutorial to it in a minute for those who learn better by watching videos.

OK, it took more than a minute, but I've added two video tutorials to the post on "How to insert links in a post":

You may practice in the Chatterbox--that's what it is there for.

And seriously, my thanks to Mike anyway for piquing interest in tides and times - as he and Ric have pointed out, it is a daunting thing to sort out.

Agreed.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:02:54 PM by moleski »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org