Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream  (Read 666261 times)

Gus Rubio

• T2
Re: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »

Well that tears it, I'm archiving all my shopping lists from now on, in case someone needs them decades from now to solve the mystery of my disappearance.  Cheap insurance, right?    ;)

Kidding aside, it's an exciting clue, gender-specific IMO, and seemingly supported by known facts about AE.  I'm constantly astounded by what TIGHAR has been able to learn in pursuit of the truth.  Excelsior!

-Gus

Mark Ramsey

• T1
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »

Ric....i will be in Dallas on Jan 21.  Any word from the real estate office if they did locate a jar of Dr. Berry's?  I live
part time in Dallas....so fairly familar with the local antique shops.  I may spend a few hours poking around to see if
I can stumble across one of the jars......remote chance, but worth a bit of time.

If the real estate office reps did happen to find a jar....I am happy to pick it up, pack it and send it your way.

Just let me know.

Mark

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »

Hey Guys...Over the past couple of days I have been keeping an eye out for the jar that contains the freckle ointment, Well after searching a major antique mall in Topeka, Kansas, I stumbled upon a small jar-like container this afternoon, that actually has some of the freckle ointment still in it. Anyway, it stands about inch and a half tall and has a black lid and the rest of the container is black too. However, the box that I found stands about 2-3 inches tall and about 2 inches wide. Anyway, this particular box is the box we need to find Amelia's other jar of ointment. Anyway, both of these items are from the same company. I believe however that these were made at different time intervals...cause the black container has chicago and Paris as its manufacturer...and the box has New York and Chicago as its manufacturers. So I don't know what to tell you...Other than I have these items and am ready to ship these Ric!!!!! Thanks!!!!   Randy

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »

Thanks Randy.  I'll be interested to see them.

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »

It looks like Dr. Berry's Freckle Ointment was available through Sears, Roebuck in 1936.  There is an ad for it here.  It looks like a different container, but a Sears line of research may reveal more about the packaging or perhaps lead to a sample bottle.  Is there a Sears museum somewhere?

I don't know if the ointment and cream were different products, but it seems like there is probably something out there that we haven't found yet.

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 09:51:12 AM »

cause the black container has chicago and Paris as its manufacturer

Found an article where they (manufacturer of Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream) where found in violation of laws of truthful labelling, could be they move their operation overseas where the laws didn't exist.

As an interesting aside:

From a report from the University of Phoenix in 2009 one of the paragraphs state:

http://www.uac.arizona.edu/VSC443/Alternmethod/Fdapap03.htm

""As a result of the number of cases of injury related to Lash-Lure, and other aniline based lash/brow dies, many states began to ban the use of aniline dyes. The Food and Drug Administration supported the ban but could not prevent the manufacture, false advertizing, and sale of this hideous product, because the Pure Food and Drug Act did not cover cosmetics. Lash-Lure was not alone in causing suffering to scores of American women. There were many, many products on the market that were causing injury: Anti-Mole, a remedy, contained 50% nitric acid and 25% glacial acetic acid. It took off the moles along with the side of the victim’s face! Berry’s Freckle Ointment contained 12% mercury and produced mercury toxicity. Some unsuspecting people purchased Bleachodent to whiten their teeth and burned their gums and tongues because of the high content of hydrochloric and sulphuric acid. Carbon tetrachloride, which we know today is carcinogenic and produces hepatic toxicity was a common ingredient of “dry” shampoos. Is your scalp itching? Use Dr. Dennis’s Compound which “prevents and stops the itch in one minute” because of it’s concentration of chloral hydrate, or Dewsberry Hair Tonic which stops an itching scalp with copper chloride and pryogallic acid.""

Maybe some of AE's bad decisions were not a result of poor judgement but more a result of mercury toxicity. ::)

LTM,

Don

Thom Boughton

• T2
  • Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »

I know I am digging up an old thread here, but.....

What is the status of this one?  Have we found a jar of Dr. Berry's?

As it turns out, I've an associate I have known for about 20 years.  All of the time I never knew it, but it turns out that he actually DOES collect antique jars and bottles.  And it seems his collection is quite sizable and he apparently knows quite a few others with similar collections and interests.  I recently have described the matter with him and he is quite interested. 

Can anyone point me to everything we have on this one?  I searched, but am not finding much...nor even finding some of the information I recall having read in the past.  Clearly, I am missing some of it.

I'd like to print everything we have on this, along with all the pics, and pass it to him.  Not sure how successful it will all be, but he is quite interested and 'knows the biz', as it were.

Many thanks,

TB

TIGHAR #3159R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »

What is the status of this one?  Have we found a jar of Dr. Berry's?

I have seen steady and very detailed traffic on the EPAC mailing list for the last year or so.

I haven't been keeping score, and the results of the research haven't yet been pulled together in a research paper for public consumption.

As it turns out, I've an associate I have known for about 20 years.  All of the time I never knew it, but it turns out that he actually DOES collect antique jars and bottles.  And it seems his collection is quite sizable and he apparently knows quite a few others with similar collections and interests.  I recently have described the matter with him and he is quite interested. 

Can anyone point me to everything we have on this one?

I can't.

There are roughly a dozen search tools on this page.  Try glass, bottle, shards, pieces, salt sellar, beer ...

I'd like to print everything we have on this, along with all the pics, and pass it to him.  Not sure how successful it will all be, but he is quite interested and 'knows the biz', as it were.

"Everything" is a lot to ask for.  Here, for example, is the Google search for broken + glass, generated by the Google search box on the page indicated above.

Does he have a computer?  Could you teach him to browse the site?

I imagine that there will be a session on the glass analysis at the Symposium.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »

I'm afraid I don't have time right now to assemble a complete report on the jar but the bottom line is this:
The artifact jar is clear glass
It fits in a Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream box
All of the known Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream jars we've found so far as white "milk" glass, but none of them fits in the Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream box.
So...there was obviously a Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream jar that fit in the box.  We just haven't found an example yet.  The big question is whether the jar that fits in the box was clear glass like the artifact jar.
Any example of a known Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream jar that is clear glass would be a big help.

Harry Howe, Jr.

• T5
  • Nuclear Physicist(Ret) Pilot(Ret) Scuba(Ret)
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »

Is the Hazel Atlas Glass Company out of the business?
I'm sure that they, like the Glass Company that I worked for (Kimble Glass Co, a subsidiary of Owens-Illinois), had samples of every jar, bottle that they ever made.

When I worked in the industry as a Quality Inspector and then a Draftsman/Designer we had a saying:  AH  HA are good, but KG and OI are better.  AH =Anchor-Hocking, HA=Hazel-Atlas, KG=Kimble Glass, and OI=Owens-Illinois.  Oh well, guess ya had to be there, LOL.
No Worries Mates
LTM   Harry (TIGHAR #3244R)

Daniel Paul Cotts

• T2
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »

Thom,
http://tighar.org/news/index.php?start=9  scroll down to "Help Wanted – Artifact Example" dated Thursday, 30 December 2010 10:30

Harry,
Per an earlier post in this thread - Hazel-Atlas Glass went out of business in 1956.

Thom Boughton

• T2
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »

http://tighar.org/news/index.php?start=9  scroll down to "Help Wanted – Artifact Example" dated Thursday, 30 December 2010 10:30

Thanks Daniel.  I had found that one....but nothing else. 

In the past, I thought I'd seen something more than just that.   Bad memory, I guess.

Thanks again,

tb

TIGHAR #3159R

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:29:48 PM by Thom Boughton »

Thom Boughton

• T2
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 11:29:07 PM »

I'm afraid I don't have time right now to assemble a complete report on the jar but the bottom line is this:
The artifact jar is clear glass
It fits in a Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream box
All of the known Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream jars we've found so far as white "milk" glass, but none of them fits in the Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream box.
So...there was obviously a Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream jar that fit in the box.  We just haven't found an example yet.  The big question is whether the jar that fits in the box was clear glass like the artifact jar.
Any example of a known Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream jar that is clear glass would be a big help.

Ric....

No need to go out of your way on the matter. When you've a spare moment, can you find the dimensions of the Dr. Berry's box we have?

As I said, I've no great reason to expect this to be terribly fruitful.  But this fellow IS quite interested in such things and seems to also be interested in our dilemma re this jar.  He doesn't THINK he's got anything close in his own collection (but it is quite a large collection, I am told)....I am hoping more that he can put the word out to others he's acquainted with equally as in-depth collections.   

Who knows.....always the chance we might get lucky.

tb

TIGHAR #3159R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »

on Tighars next expedition to Nikumorro any chance of finding an artifact that was in popular demand ?  :)

i have looked through over 2000 bottles on ebay, the nearest jar that matches dr berry is dr freckle  :'(

is it possible that the ointment pot in question was a one off type,  made just to give amelia as a present ?

We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »

Hey Ric...and fellow Tighar members...The time is drawing near for this awesome conference! Can't wait!!! Anyway, Ric...as I was glancing at the posts this afternoon ran across your posting with the freckle cream jar and I remembered something I saw several weeks ago while I was doing research on looking for a jar of that caliber. Anyway, followed up the search from the glass company that made this particular jar. As I was browsing on the net I stumbled upon a website( pray I still have it in my bookmarks) ran across an article that talked about the milk-glass jars made by this same company. As noted by this article, the company didn't start making milk-glass products until 1936. I also looked through a 1920's sears and roebuck catalog that my grandfather had in his estate of goodies and found that the freckle cream jar listed looked like the bigger size of freckle cream, but had no mention of a smaller version or listed the known box we have. Therefore, we have to ponder was there other distributors of Dr. Berry's freckle cream. Anyway, I believe that the jar found at Niku, has some major signaficant history here. I believe that we are looking at a major specialty item here. Kinda of what you would want at Christmas time. The item that is  hard to buy, or too pricey, and you can't find it in any ma and pa store. I believe this ointment pot was a rare one time thing. If it wasnt we all wouldn't be banging our heads against the wall trying to find it!!!! Anyway, like many of  you...I've looked in 6-10 antique malls and no luck...Now, considering that some may have indeed seen the bigger or smaller milk-glass versions of Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream. But, I believe this particular ointment jar is priceless! Afterall, it may have indeed been especially made for Amelia Earhart herself! Something to ponder!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org