Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream  (Read 661859 times)

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
Re: Dr. Berry's Freckle Cream
« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2012, 06:54:31 PM »

To Joe Cerniglia, if you are interested in pulling the reigns on this project, I would be most happy to hand them off to you with all the data I have collected and the contacts.

Thanks Bob, but I have my hands full just interpreting and pulling together all the scientific data from the labs on the jar.  We're not even done with the experiments.

Thanks for thinking of me.  Maybe when I'm in the clear, I can take a look but it won't be for a while.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078CER

Mark Pearce

• T3
« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »

There is clear evidence Gallagher owned at least one bottle of skin lotion during his time on the island. 
I had been noticing that about a year ago, and yes, it bothered me, too.  Maybe our British readers could tell us whether "skin lotion" was the way one referred to after shave.  That would be convenient if it was, but I don't know if linguistically that is true.

Campana's Balm was used as an aftershave lotion in the 1930s by men here in the USA.  I think it's safe to say men in England used it for the same purpose.  Gallagher probably went through a lot of 'aftershave/skin lotion' while he was on the Island.  He looks clean shaven in photos. Google "Campana's Italian Balm barber shop".

THIS WONDERFUL OLD BARBER SHOP BOTTLE WAS STILL MOUNTED ON THE WALL OF THE OLD DOWNTOWN BARBER SHOP BEFORE IT WAS TORN DOWN, THIS IS MARKED CAMPANA'S ITALIAN BALM AND WAS USED AS AN AFTER SHAVE LOTION.  A NICE EARLY BARBER COLLECTABLE
--------------------------------------

This is a Great Barber Bottle with a White porcelain Shaker/pouring top! The bottle is made of a Clear Glass with a Basket weave pattern in the middle of the bottle.  It has raised lettering on the bottom that says Campana Italian Balm.

--------------------------------------

Vintage Antique Glass Lotion Bottle Wall Mounted Campana's Italian Balm
Up for grabs is this beautiful Campana's Italian Balm bottle. It would have been used in a barber shop and held an aftershave type product.

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »

The email was simply to several bottle sellers on Ebay and Etsy to ask for a photograph of the bottom of the bottle they were selling so we could have a look at any markings on the bottom.  That was all.

Jeff, let me say first of all that your research on the Skat is probably some of the finest work I have seen in my association with TIGHAR.  When Robert Ballard spoke of putting his students "through the ringer," in the State Department's announcement of Earhart Search 75, he surely had someone such as yourself in mind.  I can't compliment this work enough.

You've shown that it is definitely possible that at least 1 additional product besides Campana Italian Balm carried the same distinctive OI stamp with date code, factory code, maker's mark and patent number as the artifact.

I have some good news to report as well regarding the Skat:  I think we can safely eliminate this product from consideration as a possible identity for the artifact bottle.  Tonight I stumbled upon the complete formulary for "Gallowhur Skat."  (Gallowhur Chemical Corporation is the name on the 1943 bottle Jeff initially brought to our attention.)

From Marion Gleason, Clinical Toxicology of commercial products, 1957, the following ingredients are listed:

2-ethyl hexanediol-2, 3: 20%
Alpha, alpha-dimethyl-alpha carbobatoxydihydro-gamma-pyrone: 20%
Dimethyl phthalate: 60%

A screen print of the relevant page is attached.  Gleason's is the same book used to verify the ingredients in Campana Italian Balm.  Both EAG Labs and Jennifer Mass at Winterthur Labs thought it authoritative enough to cite in their own reports.  These reports showed from lab testing that both the remnant on the artifact bottle and Campana Italian Balm contained Tragacanth Gum.

The ingredient list for Skat does not contain Tragacanth Gum, nor does it contain rapeseed oil or linseed oil, all compounds identified from the testing.

Therefore, it is impossible for Skat to be the identity of the bottle on Niku.

This is the good news.

The bad news is that any other product with the distinctive stamp (attached) found, if any, must undergo the same process of elimination, based upon chemical analysis and ingredient matching. 
Since some of the 1943 bottles did not have periods, we must evaluate any products with the stamp on the merits of their contents, not their stamp date codes.

For now, at least in my opinion, Campana Italian Balm is still amply shown to be the most probable match for the artifact.  It matches on enough FTIR spectra to make this, in the words of one scientist, a "very good spectral match."  The putative date range on the stamp (1933-1943) is safely within the production dates for the product; however, the fact that Campana was not using a straight-sided bottle after 1941 would seem to indicate that the 1933 date is much the favored.

The good news is - for now - a delight to me.  My research on this bottle can stand, until proven otherwise.  The bad news has a silver lining - it is true news, the only kind really worth reading about.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078CER

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #363 on: October 11, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »

Campana's Balm was used as an aftershave lotion in the 1930s by men here in the USA.  I think it's safe to say men in England used it for the same purpose.  Gallagher probably went through a lot of 'aftershave/skin lotion' while he was on the Island.

If that chain of speculations were true, I would expect him to buy his 'aftershave/skin lotion' in bottles bigger than 2 or 3 ounces and I would expect him to have more than a single bottle in his inventory at the time of his death (he had just returned from Fiji where he presumably could have stocked up if he was getting low).  Amelia, on the other hand, might be expected to have "travel size" bottles of personal care products with her.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #364 on: October 11, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »

His guvmint kept a lot of records - might there be more about Gallagher's where-with-all buried somewhere?

As I recall, there were some invoices that had to be settled after his death.  I'll check the file (we have lots of stuff from the WPHC records that is not yet digitized).

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #365 on: October 11, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »

I'll check the file (we have lots of stuff from the WPHC records that is not yet digitized).

Nope.  Nothing there.  In fact, there are no references in the correspondence of Gallagher ever ordering anything for himself.

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #366 on: October 12, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »

I might argue that "travel" to Gallagher, in this case, was for much longer than your average Vegas weekend.

His assignment was for many months, if not years, to the South Pacific.  In his case the travel size bottles would run out far too quickly. He likely had larger containers.  His initial supply of products from home could be his only supply for many months.  Its not like he could resupply at thevlocal airport gift shop.  Even you noted Jeff that when you found a rare supply of Brut you bought bulk as well.  Likely because you weren't sure of future supply. Could this not likely rule him out as a candidate for the source of the small bottles?  Please note the use of he words "likely" and "could".
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Joe Cerniglia

• TIGHAR member
  • Niku in a rainstorm
« Reply #367 on: October 12, 2012, 05:23:05 AM »

I just received the Skat bottle in the mail.  I do believe we've removed Skat from comsideration as a match to the artifact based on comparison of its complete ingredient list to the substances found on the artifact.  The union of those is a null set.  However, because the question was asked and I presume some would still like to know, I will provide the base dimensions. It is 1" exactly in width and about 1.75" in length at the longest possible side.   The bottle itself looks to be a size match to me to the artifact.  Checking back through my emails, Ric confirmed the width of the artifact is 1".  I'm almost certain the length is right.

Had there been a match between even one of the many ingredients compared, I would have wanted this tested and would have arranged to see that done.

Impressions: Seeing this type of bottle whole in what I presume to be the correct size for the first time is exciting.  It looks like a cosmetic bottle that has been borrowed for the wartime purpose.  The period after the 3 is clearly visible.  I have no time to post photos right now, but I will next week.  Again, I may be away for much of the weekend and unable to reply immediately.

Joe Cerniglia
TIGHAR #3078CER

Jeff Carter

• T2
« Reply #368 on: October 12, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »

Don't know if anyone is still buying Freckle Cream jars, this one claims to still have some material in it.
http://www.junkwhat.com/antique%20vintage/6204n5%20lot%20of%205%20pcs.htm

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #369 on: October 12, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »

Hi Jeff. Thanks for your much appreciated comments.

The TIGHAR board and advisory members have to be the ones determining how the scarce funding dollars are spent. My hope is that the finding of the debris field doesn't stop any other initiatives from being considered. As has been pointed out in prior posts the ROV search consumes vast sums of money.  A land based search costs less. But the finding of the new debris field has to take priority in terms of funding priorities. Just as you suggest Jeff. It's now the "low hanging fruit" that needs to be harvested.  I look forward to more of Ric and Jeff Glickman's updates as I am sure everyone does.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Jeff Carter

• T2
« Reply #370 on: October 17, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »

Jeff, let me say first of all that your research on the Skat is probably some of the finest work I have seen in my association with TIGHAR.  When Robert Ballard spoke of putting his students "through the ringer," in the State Department's announcement of Earhart Search 75, he surely had someone such as yourself in mind.  I can't compliment this work enough.

Thanks for the kind words. 

In regards to the Campana bottle sizes of the 1930s, the 25 cent size that was offered during the mid 1930s was apparently a tube.  Attached is an ad from "Motion Picture" magazine.

http://i.imgur.com/Eg3Yz.jpg

This is the first evidence I have seen that Campana was also available in tubes.

Jeff Carter

• T2
« Reply #371 on: October 17, 2012, 06:05:30 PM »

In the fall of 1937, Campana Italian Balm was listed in the Sears Catalog in 3 sizes, 29c, 44c and 79c.  File attached.  We don't know the ounce sizes.  Attempts to find all three sizes today from sellers to compare have not been successful.

I have found some newspaper ads which give the ounces in the Campana Italian Balm bottles for sale.  Most newspaper ads don't list a size in ounces, but occasionally the ads do.  But, as with everything, sources don't agree. 

First the good news, for the 1930s, all newspaper ads I found seem to agree on 4 1/2 ounces for the medium 60 cent size.  The large $1.00 size is not mentioned very often, but one or two ads mentioned 9 ounces.

Now, the bad news (where the newspaper sources don't agree with each other).  For the small 35 cent size bottle:
     The Oshkosh Northwestern22 Nov 19342 oz.     (might be old square bottle)
     The Oshkosh Northwestern     31 Jan 19352 1/2 oz     (also in July, Aug. & Nov. 1935 ads)
     The Hammond Times.18 Jul 1935.     2 1/2 oz.     
     The Clearfield Progress. 26 Sep 1935.     2 1/2 oz.   
     The Hammond Times. 21 Nov 1935.     2 1/2 oz.   
     Chronicle Telegram, The (Elyria, Ohio).      Feb. 10, 1938.      2 oz.     (Drene offer ad)
     Reno Evening Gazette. March 16, 1939.     2 oz   (savings matrix-type ad)
     The Clearfield Progress. 16 Mar 1939.     2 oz   (matrix)
     The Hammond Times. 28 Mar 1940.     2 oz.    (matrix)

One 1933 ad mentions a 1 1/2 oz. 25 cent size which I assume is the tube mentioned above.

Sample size is quite small since so few ads list ounces.  Also, one of the reasons the newspaper names repeat is that I am using ancestry.com which does not have very many newspapers to search.  The matrix ad lists a bunch of products and show the savings in buying the large size -- so that explains why the size is listed in the ad.  I suspect when the old "square" bottles switched over to the new bottles, and both size bottles worked thru inventory, advertisers needed to be clear which size was being advertised, and then no longer felt the need after the old bottles were totally depleted.

So did the Campana bottle sizes change?  Did Campana start putting less liquid in the bottle? 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:23:24 PM by Jeff Carter »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #372 on: October 17, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »

Refresh my memory.  When and how did we decide that the bottle bottom found on Niku was from a 2 oz. bottle?

Jeff Carter

• T2
« Reply #373 on: October 17, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »

If question is in regard to my "bad news" reference, I only meant that the newspaper ad sources don't all agree.  I'll edit the post to reflect that.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #374 on: October 17, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »

My question was as I stated it.  When and how did we decide that the bottle bottom found on Niku was from a 2 oz. bottle?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org