Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289582 times)

Mark Ramsey

• T1
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

Hi-

My name is Mark, and I am currently living between Hawaii, Dallas and Prague for work.  My parents ran a flight
school and FBO when I was growing up, so I was an airport brat.  I have always been interesting in the Earhart
story and finding out what really happened.

I saw the write-ups on TIGHAR in the press reports on the most recent expedition....which led me to the site.  As
a new member, I am reviewing all of the great work that has been done to date and looking for ways that I may
be able to help the cause.

Mark

Bruce Burton

• T1
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

Hello. I'm glad to have just joined. :)  I'm a semi-retired college teacher, living in Fort Worth, Texas with a hobby of photography - especially infrared photography.  I love to see myth-shrouded mysteries (e.g., siege of the Alamo, Custer's Last Stand, sinking of the Titanic) laid bare through solid historical research.

Signing on for an exciting ride through the Earhart riddle.

Bruce

James Edward England

• T1
  • EC-24A on Wake Island
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »

Lessee, WESTPAC brownshoe sailor, Naval Flight Officer [P-3 TACCO, EC-24A NAV/EWO] who’s used a Kollsman sextant and aviated down in the spume, golden age aviation historian, flight test engineer, distant relative of Amelia’s, that’s it in a nutshell…
And I love an unfolding, if enduringly persistent, mystery.

jim

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »

I have been a TIGHAR member since 2003 (#2583R). I'm a structural engineer; I live in Montana Wyoming. I first heard of the Earhart/Noonan disappearance when I was a boy of about 10. It amazed me that these two people and a plane could just disappear without a trace. It was many years later when I learned that people (and things) don't just disappear without a trace. They leave evidence behind. They leave traces. I turned 50 a few months ago; it is my sincere hope to see this mystery conclusively and convincingly solved in my lifetime.

I am in awe of the massive amount of information and data that TIGHAR has pulled together over the years. There are many people involved here. I don't want to praise one at the expense of others, because all are contributors in their own way; Tom King, Marty Moleski, Walt Holm, Randy Jacobsen, Ron Bright, Alan Caldwell, Bob Brandenburg, Andrew McKenna, Hue Miller, the list goes on and on. Having said that, Ric Gillespie is, in my opinion, the most knowledgeable person on the planet on the topic at hand here. I think this mystery will be solved, and it will be done in large part because of Ric's efforts. I really enjoy reading Ric's writing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:40:12 PM by Alfred Hendrickson »

Brad Beeching

• T3
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »

Hello All! I suppose this is where we meet an' greet. My name is Brad and I am a retired heavy industrial mechanic. I specialized in pumps, power transmission (gear trains) and various other mechanical things. While I don't have a Dr. in front of my name, I do have a brain. Well, at least I remember having one.... now if I can just remember where I put it.....
I have been interested in all things aviation since I was a boy, and before the FAA told me I can't be a pilot, I was working toward my private license. After visiting here for over a year, I'm hooked. I hope that maybe I can contribute something sometime....

Gums
Brad

#4327R

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »

Hello to everyone,

My name is Irv Donald and I live and work near Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.  I am 56 years old and am neither a pilot nor scientist nor engineer. I am co owner of a manufacturing company that makes custom ATM's and kiosks. Both the hardware and software. Happily married with wife, three kids and a dog.  I am an avid photographer who also submits monthly to our two local community newspapers.

I have been interested in aviation all my life with the highlight being a 90 minute flight in a Lancaster bomber out of Hamilton airport two years ago. I regularly attend local air shows.

I have followed TIGHAR events and forums for the past year and am fascinated by the theories and evidence searches that have transpired over the years. I am extremely impressed with the TIGHAR membership for their dedication and thought provoking theories as well as the processes used to dissect and analyze each nuance of this mystery. I believe the mystery, as we know it, may be solved given enough time and money but, as evidenced by historical press releases, sometimes the path goes cold quickly. I look forward to reading, and contributing in my own way, in the period of time prior to the solution being found, and the analysis afterwards. Thanks for such a great site.
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »

Very interesting observation:  "I look forward to reading, and contributing in my own way, in the period of time prior to the solution being found, and the analysis afterwards. Thanks for such a great site."

A solution will probably be found but the analysis that will follow will not be pretty!  There are way too many contrary theories out there to let it go with a mere finding that seems to provide a solution to one of the greatest mysteries of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Ted Campbell 

Irvine John Donald

• T5
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »

Hi Ted

I do believe strongly that TIGHAR has done an excellent job of fact finding and an equally excellent job of debunking many of the myths surrounding the disappearance of AE and FN. Many newcomers have this excellent website as a research tool whereby they can ponder a detail or question and find a very well thought out and reasonable answer or explanation. I personally think it has to be the TIGHAR version of events. It would be interesting to take this case into a court of law with judge and jury and see if the jury would be convinced with the current evidence. However, as is true with most mysteries when they are finally solved, a host of so called experts, fame seekers, fence sitters and a whole lotta people you never heard of before will try to grab some of the glory. New stories will emerge. More rumors, scuttlebutt and other theories will be heard that suggest how AE and FN struggled to survive. Ric and TIGHAR will be proven right when they find the one piece of evidence that no one can deny. But then the stories will fly. Will the navy of 1937 be given a black eye for their poor search techniques? Will the alternate theorists stand up and admit they were wrong? Or, sadly, will it just be RIc and his TIGHARS who care?  How many will say "Amelia who?"
Respectfully Submitted;

Irv

jack dunn

• T1
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

Hi guys

Just joined the site today. Have been reading the TIGHAR site for some time. This site is really interesting, theres a lot of information. I live in the United Kingdom. I spent many years in retail. This is one of those things that just bugs you, every time you think you've got an answer, you end up with more questions, I've got some theories, hopefully you'll be able to tell me what you think.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »

Just noticed this thread so I will jump in. 

I have been following Tighar for a couple of years now.  Found it simply surfing the net googling Amelia Earhart.  Now living the Metro Atlanta area, when I was a boy I flew with my Father in a J-3 Cub out of a grass field in Mississippi.  Later, in Atlanta, gaining my license in '71, I then went on to multi-engine and instrument ratings.  Flying was a huge part of my life, strictly private and personal business, and it was so much in our blood and a great common denominator with my Father.

I have always been interested in the Amelia Earhart mystery. I never bought Steven Wright's (comedian) explanation that she was alive and well and in a holding pattern over LAX.  So when I discovered Tighar's interest and educational website, it was (is) fantastic.  I visit it regularly.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Paul John Patten

• T1
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »

Hello
New member #3215
I was first introduced to TIGHAR due to my interest in White Bird (Nungesser-Coli). I am a retired airline pilot but in my younger days made numerous pond crossings in small twin engine airplanes. We had no HF radios, only VORs and ADF. We'd track a radial off Stornway Scotland for 30 miles or so and then you were on your own until you picked up something on the other end. I can only imagine the anxiety of those early pond fliers. Most of the time, even with our "hitech" navaids we were very apprehensive. AE's mystery also fasinates me having logged thousands of hours in Beech-18s. Though not up to par with the Lockheed L-10, it was "same stuff..slightly smaller package". 

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »

Paul John,
The "Twin Beech", as we used to all it, brought the 'ground loop' to an art form.  You sir, were a real pilot if you flew those alot....and survived it. 

TIGHAR Member #4154

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

Hello,

I notice there are many engineers here, and I am yet another joining the ranks.  I am an aerospace engineer specializing in flight simulation and aerodynamics.

I first became interested in this subject about 4 years ago when I coauthored an article giving an overview of the various Earhart disappearance theories at http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/conspiracy/q0299.shtml.  We made a conscious decision to present each scenario fairly and not bias the reader toward any particular one.  I've read several books (Finding Amelia, most recently) and continued visiting the TIGHAR site periodically to see what new information has turned up.

I'll be honest that I've not been convinced by any of the theories and think there isn't enough evidence to prove or refute any of them (although Irene Bolam stretches credulity, IMHO).  Nevertheless, a landing on Gardner Island seems like one of the more likely outcomes, and I applaud the thoroughness and dedication of TIGHAR in its investigation.  I am also impressed that people here seem open minded as opposed to some others out there who are convinced only their theory is the right one and immediately discount any contradictory facts.

My job leaves me little free time and I likely won't be able to participate often.  However, I hope to learn and contribute what I can.  I may ask some tough questions, but they aren't intended to attack, only to challenge assumptions and clear up misconceptions.
It's not too late to be great.

John Cheney

• T1
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

Semi retired insurance and financial services guy here. Have lurked on this website for a couple of years.

I have been an aviation buff since I can remember; my dad having flown PBY missions in WWII. Lived at Patuxnet Naval Air Test Center.

My idea of a date with my soon to be wife was a visit to an airport, Wash. Nat. or BWI to watch planes come and go.

Finally at age 38 did what I always wanted and got my private SEL license. Owned a 172-RG for a while.

Anyway, how can an aviation buff not be interested in AE? I have some questions and thoughts after reading just about everything posted on this site.

Mark A. Cook

• T1
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »

HI:

I am new member also... Hope This is a OK way to say Hi to all..

I did not want to post a new member Topic next thing you know we got 377 New Member Topic posted just on one thread..

Thank You greatly Don Dollinger for use of your new member topic ...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org