Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 289600 times)

Barbara Schultz

• T1
Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »

This is an exciting forum with so much information.  I look forward to learning more about the on-going projects!  To introduce myself, I have written three aviation history books, two of which contain information on Amelia.  Those are Pancho: The Biography of Florence Lowe Barnes and  Flying Carpets, Flying Wings: The Biography of Moye W. Stephens.  Moye related to me that he had discussed his around-the-world flight with Amelia previous to departing on hers.  At present I have several pieces of Amelia's early luggage and wondered if anyone had any information of her endorsements for the luggage other than what is already printed in several bios.

RICHARD PAYNE

• T1
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2013, 04:09:26 PM »

I guess I don't understand since Amelia was such an important person why didn't the Navy send landing parties to the islands in the vicinity? Why did they ignor the reported radio signals.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »

I guess I don't understand since Amelia was such an important person why didn't the Navy send landing parties to the islands in the vicinity? Why did they ignor the reported radio signals.

Welcome, Richard.

There's a lot of information on this site, as I hope you will have discovered.  There's quite a lot of information. 

But if you haven't explored, I suggest a good place to begin might be the Forum FAQ document.  Your first question has an entry there that's right in line with what you've asked.  It's entitled "Why didn’t the Navy put searchers ashore on Nikumaroro in 1937?".  And by the time USS Colorado reached the Phoenix Islands, radio signals had ceased (and enough signals had been confirmed as hoaxes by then to cast serious doubts among the searchers that any of them were legitimate).

Weaving a coherent path through the scads of documents on the TIGHAR website is aided by several roadmaps in addition to that FAQ document.  Maybe you've seen one or two of them -- they differ in intent and depth of detail.  But I can recommend what I'd call the Roadmap for the Initially Curious.  Another I call the Roadmap for Those Who Love Details.  For those who love the Wikipedia paradigm, there's the Ameliapedia.  Those are all there to compensate for the lack of a "reference librarian on duty 24/7".  It's pretty much a self-service situation. 

And if you just like to curl up with a good book about the topic, the TIGHAR Store has Finding Amelia, a great read for those who love Detective Joe Friday ("Just the facts, ma'am.").   

For those who become dues-paying members of TIGHAR, there's the periodical TIGHAR Tracks that occasionally finds its way to our mailboxes, but old issues of TIGHAR Tracks (lots of them, 25 years worth in fact, up through the end of 2010) are just a click away. I hope you have l-o-t-s of free time.  :)

Enjoy!
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:02:28 PM by Bruce Thomas »

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2013, 05:47:55 AM »

Welcome to the forum Andrea. Be sure to participate so we can get some of the female perspective. We do need more of that but be sure you have a thick skin. Some comments here can be a little tough.

We have an "old" Spad pilot from the Vietnam era on the forum and you might want to converse with him. His name is Bill Roe, a part time Floridian I believe, but not very active lately. You might try a personal message to him.

Again, welcome to the forum and join in the discussions as you can.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2013, 06:13:40 AM »

I just cannot know if Mr. Mellon is being a comedian or really serious in the things he says.  I laugh then think that I don't know his stuff like he does so I better just keep quiet.

Andrea, again Welcome!

And the answer to your question is serious. The FAA still permits me to fly, so I guess my eyesight is not all that bad. And I guess my skin is thick enough, too, because I'm still here to kick around. But I sincerely invite you, and everyone else on the Forum, to contribute what you can, and then we will all benefit.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Andrea Fisher

• T1
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »

Mr. Herndon thank you.  I haven't really found anything to comment on yet because I don't know too much about bones and that stuff. 
I searched out Mr. Roe and read some of his stuff but I'm having a hard time sending him a message.  I think my Grampa would like to talk to him.  Oh boy, I'd like to talk to him.  Have you seen some of the stuff those old Spad pilots did? Does anybody know how to get him to message us?
Mr. Mellon, I am sorry I even questioned you about you seeing that stuff and the things you say here.  My boyfriend thinks I have ruined any chance of flying for your company if the opportunity ever comes up.  I wouldn't move anyway.  I live in a great fly-in community. So I hope you forgive me.

Andrea

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »

Andrea, look at the topic bar at the top of the page and click on "MY MESSAGES". I sent you a Personal Message about Bill Roe.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2013, 07:07:06 PM »

Mr. Mellon, I am sorry I even questioned you about you seeing that stuff and the things you say here.  My boyfriend thinks I have ruined any chance of flying for your company if the opportunity ever comes up.  I wouldn't move anyway.  I live in a great fly-in community. So I hope you forgive me.

Andrea

Andrea, you have possibly not yet learned yet about CRM - cockpit resource management, the FAA mantra for crews of 2. It stands for "challenge-respond-modify" as a means to overcome PIC overcommplacency.

That is what this Forum needs. Don't be timid challenging opinions you encounter. Your opinion might be novel and CORRECT.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:10:33 PM by Tim Mellon »

Arthur Carty

• T1
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2013, 11:54:16 AM »

I have been with TIGHAR since 1999 (I was asked how I got involved at the Department of State shindig in 2011 and I am completely blank....must have been Ric's magic).  Anyway, I've been privileged to be on the TIGHAR Board since about 2007 and my wife Janis (who is also a member) and I went on Niku VI in 2010 on the good ship VvS1.

I have focussed on the genealogy of Gerald Bernard Gallagher and his family looking for clues as to what happened to Gallagher's personal effects, last thought to be in Fiji in early August 1945.  Through this research, we definitively identified the "Miss Clancy" at Clanmere listed as the consignee for Gallagher's effects, found out what and where Clanmere was, and had a pleasant two day visit with the daughter of "Miss Clancy".

Current activity is focussed on a long shot effort to find out what happened to the sextant listed as being in Gallagher's effects on Niku in late September 1941 and which evidently was given by Dr. McPhearson to the Captain of the Viti, Commander James Patrick Mullins, who died in February 1999 in Flintshire East, Clywd, Wales.  I evidently am the only one who thinks it odd that an empty sextant box was found at one end of Niku at the 7 site and a sextant without a box was found at the other end in the village.

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2013, 04:05:15 AM »

Hi Gang.. my name is Bill de Creeft and upon joining the Forum it was suggested I post my reply to him on here as a quick way to introduce myself, so...I'll be 81 in May so I'm not proficient with forums but i have great interest in the project so this gets me started. As a five year old child in Santa Barbara I went down to the beach with my mother and she told me that big ship out there was the Lexington and that it was "leaving to go look for Amelia Earhart" and I've been fascinated ever since!
Retired from almost 50 years and 20,000 plus of flying floatplanes in Alaska (Goose, Beaver and Otter ,etc.)... see www.alaskaseaplanes.com ...As a company we put 16,000 hours on the beaver and I sat in the Otter for 24 years.
If you go to this site you'll see me flying the 1929 Travel Air Transport Monoplane I owned for 40 years and restored in 2002...look along the left side and click on 'floatplanes' for a nice video of it flying over the glaciers...
I finally sold the T-Air and got a couple of annuities, paid my bills and retired (that is success in the aviation business (!?!)...
I recently sent Jeff Glickman some pictures of radial engins that had been weathered in the surf for years just for any help they might be but not "through channels'' because I hadn't joined...So here i am: I hope they got there and will be some help !
I see some stuff that interests me...as we all do ...maybe hub, rods and a tuning fork shape that looks like a landing gear fork (I used to have a Twin Beech)...in the underwater pics so I'm awaiting further developments.maybe saw some koroseal from around the brake lines or engine hoses
I am sure the assumptions on the forum are correct, but, like you all, would like to see it check out...
I have found lost people and dragged in relics and dealt with salt water operations for many years...I have no money these days but am greatly interested and will help any way I can...I "fly the beach" at about 300 feet all the time on google and "hi def noaa radar" (iphone) and i think we would have found those people back then...about the time the nessie pic was taken.
I am hooked on this whole deal !!
Bill de Creeft
Homer, Alaska
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:55 AM »

Hi Bill. Welcome to the forum. I flew the Beaver while I was in the Army back in the 1970's. Great flying aircraft and I loved to fly it. Never saw an Aeronca Sedan on floats before. Interesting picture.

Again, welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Bill de Creeft

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

Thanks Woody...
Near the bottom of the opening page of my website theres a picture of the Beaver on floats coming out of McNeil River on a rough day you might like.
(Good Days gone by...)
Hope this use of the forum is not bad protocol...I'm learning my way around.ßß
Bill
Bill de Creeft

Tighar Member #4131

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50:19 AM »

Bill, if you will go to the topic FAQs and problem solving most of your questions about the TIGHAR Forum will probably be answered. (clicking on the blue letters will take you there)

Be prepared to do a lot of  reading. ;)
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Lauren Palmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »

What a great idea!!  How can I go about selling my ex-husband to come up with the money for the Pre-Expedition school??? :-*

Ben Stevens

• T1
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »

Hello,
I've been following Tighar since I read abot the freckle cream jar. I consider the castaway found by Gallagher, the freckle cream jar, the post-loss radio receptions, and Betty's Notebook to be the most impressive pieces of evidence for the 'Niku Hypothesis'. I've read a lot on the site but I can see there's still a lot more for me to read and learn about. Looking forward to learning more!

Ben
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org