Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery Channel Show  (Read 134430 times)

Tim Collins

• T4
Re: Discovery Channel Show
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 07:25:13 AM »

Do I dare ask for a few criptic hints as to what to look forward to.

I know, I know, I just had to ask!

t

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 08:08:54 AM »

Do I dare ask for a few criptic hints as to what to look forward to.

I haven't seen the final version but I can tell you a couple of my favorite bits in the cut I saw.  I like the way they tie the Nessie photo into Emily Sikuli marking the map where she saw airplane wreckage.  It's a real convincer.
And there's a great sequence late in the show where forensic anthropologist Kar Burns describes, and shows, what happens when the crabs come for you. It's pure Hitchcock.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 09:33:11 AM »

and the air date is when??
Tom
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »

and the air date is when??

"Finding Amelia"

Date changed.  Now set for Saturday, December 11 (it seems).

No link available at present.

:'(
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:43:36 AM by moleski »

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »

Ric,
Let me ask this simple question, knowing that you can't give away the Discovery Cannel's final conclutions; is there anything of subsence from the last visit to Niku that adds to the TIGHAR theory?
Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »

I'll say this much.  We didn't waste our time out there but don't expect parting clouds and heavenly choirs either.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »

Yeah, it's never an OMG moment ... it's the six months ... nine months ... three years later moment when it all comes together. Been there, done that.

I told my daughter we had to rent Hitchcock's Psycho before watching the Discovery TIGHAR program. When she asked why, I said, "No reason ..."  ;D
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

> ... Kinda challenges the notion of a 'desert isle in paradise', doesn't it?  

Roger Kelley talked our way into the Grand Pacific Hotel in Suva in 2003.

We went all over the place--even up onto the roof, where I took some pictures.

I was laughing at myself even as I took the pictures.  The sun on the roof, beating down on the asphalt roof, was almost unendurable.  I figured that the pictures would turn out well.  Tropical islands photograph beautifully, but the sunshine is harsh!

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »

I haven't seen the final version but I can tell you a couple of my favorite bits in the cut I saw.  I like the way they tie the Nessie photo into Emily Sikuli marking the map where she saw airplane wreckage.  It's a real convincer.
And there's a great sequence late in the show where forensic anthropologist Kar Burns describes, and shows, what happens when the crabs come for you. It's pure Hitchcock.

Sounds awesome! I'm sure the documentary was fun to make/do. :) I can't wait to see this; thanks for the hints, Ric!

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »

I'm sure the documentary was fun to make/do.

The trick to being filmed for a documentary is to forget that you're being filmed for a documentary.

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »

The trick to being filmed for a documentary is to forget that you're being filmed for a documentary.

Haha, I'll keep that in mind! :)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »

Actors are said to have said, "Once you learn to fake sincerity, you've got it made."   8)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 06:14:57 AM »

"Once you learn to fake sincerity, you've got it made."

LOL!  I sincerely believe that!
An important part of my job is to be TIGHAR's principal storyteller, both in print and on-screen.  In the latter respect I have a couple of advantages.  Throughout high school and college I was active in theater, so I'm comfortable in front of an audience. For the Discovery documentary it also helped that nearly all of the interviews with me - before, during, and after the expedition - were shot by Mark Smith of Oh Seven Films. Mark is a Peabody Award-winning cinematographer who filmed our 2001 and 2007 expeditions and numerous research activities leading up to the 2010 trip. Mark knows TIGHAR; he knows the island; and he knows me. If my interviews come off as if I'm just telling a great story to a good friend, it's because I am.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 06:53:13 AM »

... If my interviews come off as if I'm just telling a great story to a good friend, it's because I am.

You do good work.  We wouldn't be here without your gift for synthesis.  Go, Ric!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 08:32:06 PM »

An important part of my job is to be TIGHAR's principal storyteller, both in print and on-screen.  In the latter respect I have a couple of advantages.  Throughout high school and college I was active in theater, so I'm comfortable in front of an audience. For the Discovery documentary it also helped that nearly all of the interviews with me - before, during, and after the expedition - were shot by Mark Smith of Oh Seven Films. Mark is a Peabody Award-winning cinematographer who filmed our 2001 and 2007 expeditions and numerous research activities leading up to the 2010 trip. Mark knows TIGHAR; he knows the island; and he knows me. If my interviews come off as if I'm just telling a great story to a good friend, it's because I am.

I agree with Marty; you do awesome work, Ric! I know all of us here appreciate your hard work on those expeditions (and all of the TIGHAR members who have gone on previous exhibitions)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org