Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Evidence on l'Oiseau Blanc (Project Midnight Ghost)  (Read 21412 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

James G. Stoveken

• T2
Re: New Evidence on l'Oiseau Blanc (Project Midnight Ghost)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:10:50 PM »

Interesting.  Thanks for posting the link.  My first reaction is that the prevailing ocean current wouldn't have carried the wings toward Boston but in the opposite direction.  Thoughts?
Jim Stoveken

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »

Interesting.  Thanks for posting the link.  My first reaction is that the prevailing ocean current wouldn't have carried the wings toward Boston but in the opposite direction.  Thoughts?

I'm not an oceanographer, but I've visited an olive farm planted by one (may he rest in peace).

I suspect that it is not a simple situation.  The Gulf Stream is a deep ocean current that runs clockwise (more or less) in the Atlantic basin; but that doesn't mean that surface currents follow suit.  It seems to me that it would not be unreasonable to suppose that temporary or recurrent wind and wave patterns might carry debris in a direction counter to the Gulf Stream.  

This image from http://www.anthonares.net suggests that there is a deep return flow that goes southward along the Atlantic coast:

The famous rubber duckies seem to have floated south along the coast.

To calculate the odds of the wings drifting to where the Coast Guard saw them, you need some facts and some guesses.  How long was the sighting after the loss of the plane?  Where do you think the plane came down?  How rare and unusual a circumstance would you need to get the wings from the crash site to the Coast Guard ship that might have seen them?  
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:22:26 PM by moleski »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »

Tantalizing to say the least ...
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »

Now that I have had a bit if time to ponder, with the few details in this story, would it not tend to negate most of the TIGHAR and NUMA theories, that the White Bird ended up on land?

Still, two "white wings" found floating in the ocean three months later don't have too many other likely suspects. Even though the White Bird jettisoned its gear on takeoff and was theoretically supposed to be able to land on the water, and float for some time, I don't fancy trying to land a non-seaplane on anything other than a mirror-flat body of water and have it come out OK. The chances of catching a wingtip or doing a noseover are just that much greater than with a proper seaplane, especially if they had to attempt it at night or under reduced visibility. Still, it looks more and more like they did make it.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »

From Karen Hoy:

"Fresh clues hint doomed transatlantic flight reached Canada"

Looks like a busted link.  Is the article archived somewhere within Tighartown?

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »

Walter, here is the article from Google's cache.
Jim Stoveken

Walter Runck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »

Walter, here is the article from Google's cache.

Thanks James.  Is any of the detail on the Coast Guard sighting available?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org