Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircraft height  (Read 21844 times)

Craig Romig

• T3
Aircraft height
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

I read a thread that the front tires were 35 inches. I'm going with that number. How tall would the aircraft sit on 35 inch front tires? The point of the skin over the bottom of the engine to the flat surface of the ground. With properly inflated tires and in a unload cargo and fuel condition. How many feet and inches would it have been between those 2 points?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Aircraft height
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »

Why do you need to know that?

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 04:25:58 PM »

I was curious about water depth.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »

The important question is how high would the water need to be to reach the transmitter.  The answer is one meter.  The water on the reef never got that deep during the time credible post-loss signals were heard.

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 07:12:20 PM »

One mete that's not very deep. It's over three feet.

I had thought from betty notebook that water up to or was it over there knees. That they were inside the cockpit with water up to thier knees inside the cockpit.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »

One mete that's not very deep. It's over three feet.

I had thought from betty notebook that water up to or was it over there knees. That they were inside the cockpit with water up to thier knees inside the cockpit.

Read the notebook. Betty has one of them (she thinks it was Fred) say "Water is knee deep." Where was water knee deep? If it was knee deep in the cockpit the transmitter would be underwater so that can't be what he meant.  If it was knee deep in the cabin the transmitter would still be underwater so that can't be what he meant. If the water is not knee deep inside the airplane he must mean that the water is knee deep outside the airplane on the reef.  How did he know the water was knee deep?  Was he guessing or had he been out wading in it? Knee deep on Fred would be less than one meter.

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »

That changes how I thought about that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org