Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Schmidt Ocean Institute ROV live video -- 27 October 2017  (Read 57887 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Schmidt Ocean Institute ROV live video -- 27 October 2017
« on: October 26, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »

The Schmidt Ocean Institute research vessel R/V Falkor is currently conducting deep coral surveys of the seamounts in the Phoenix Islands Protected Area using a sophisticated camera-equipped Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV). Live video feeds from the ROV are available during dives at https://schmidtocean.org/rv-falkor/status/
The ship is currently en route to Nikumaroro and should arrive sometime in the next day or so. They will make one ROV dive at Niku - duration somewhere between four and nine hours.
This is a tremendous opportunity for us to watch for any sign of an airplane or airplane debris and we need volunteers who will help us monitor the video feed during the dive. If you are interested in helping, please send me an email at ric@tighar.org with your name, your time zone, and what times during the day or night you are willing to watch the video feed from the ROV.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
Re: Volunteers Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »

Do you know what parts of the reef they intend to dive on?

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »

This is very interesting, although we are likely to get an abundance of pareidolia.

I have a couple of questions.
Can Tighar send out an email notification when the dive starts?  I will be watching in the Eastern Time zone but can't commit to a time until I  approximately when the dive is going to occur.

Are they going to make a recording of the feed available to TIGHAR?  Would it be a violation of the copyright to record the feed myself over the internet?

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »

I'm not sure how to set this up and it may be too late to try, but can we cobble-together a live voice network between those watching so we can interact and que each other if we see something interesting?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »

Do you know what parts of the reef they intend to dive on?

That has not been decided but this morning one of the senior scientists aboard, my friend Randi Rotjan, emailed me to ask where, in a perfect world, we would like them to dive.  Told her, "All of the evidence points to the airplane being washed off the reef-flat about 400 meters north of the shipwreck.  Our side-scan survey of that area off the northwest end of the island from the landing channel up to the northwest tip in 2012 showed several possible targets that were too deep (1200 to 1500 meters) for our ROV to investigate.
If that neighborhood fits your bio goals it would great if you could dive there."
I haven't heard back but at least she asked.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »

Can Tighar send out an email notification when the dive starts?

As soon as I know when the dive is scheduled to begin I'll send an email notification to everybody who signs up.

Are they going to make a recording of the feed available to TIGHAR?

Yes.  After the cruise, all of the data will be archived and publicly available.

Would it be a violation of the copyright to record the feed myself over the internet?

I don't think so.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »

I'm not sure how to set this up and it may be too late to try, but can we cobble-together a live voice network between those watching so we can interact and que each other if we see something interesting?

That's beyond my pay-grade.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »

"As soon as I know when the dive is scheduled to begin I'll send an email notification to everybody who signs up."

Sign me up.  Email sent to you.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »

That's beyond my pay-grade.

All that is necessary is to pick a tool and get everyone who is interested to prepare their credentials to use the tool.

Skype supports multi-person chats.

So does Zoom.

WhatsApp might.

Maybe JoinMe.  I haven't used that one myself.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 11:46:35 AM »

I'm familiar with Skype although I don't think I've ever done a multi-person session - either text or voice.

I wonder about the practicality of doing a multi-person Skype session that lasts eight hours.  I've done a (pardon the expression) shitload of ROV video monitoring.  It sounds exciting and it is - for the first 20 minutes or so.  If you're really into deep corals, like the folks aboard Falkor, I'm sure it's riveting, but if you're just waiting for something man-made to show up it's BORING.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »

Their navigation page shows they are spending a lot of time on western slopes of the seamounts. If they do the same at Nikumaroro that would be great. It  looks like they are just north of McKean Island right now.
3971R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »

Their navigation page shows they are spending a lot of time on western slopes of the seamounts. If they do the same at Nikumaroro that would be great.

Randi wants to find that airplane almost as much as we do.  If there is any way to justify it within the ship's primary mission they'll dive the west side.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »

I'm familiar with Skype although I don't think I've ever done a multi-person session - either text or voice.

I've done voice.  It works.

I wonder about the practicality of doing a multi-person Skype session that lasts eight hours.  I've done a (pardon the expression) shitload of ROV video monitoring.  It sounds exciting and it is - for the first 20 minutes or so.  If you're really into deep corals, like the folks aboard Falkor, I'm sure it's riveting, but if you're just waiting for something man-made to show up it's BORING.

Understood.

Having someone to talk do MIGHT help pass the time.

Might not.

Skype can do both audio and text at the same time.  So can Teamviewer, I think.  Of course, watching the text window for comments could distract people from watching the live stream ...

If any of your volunteers want to set it up, the time to practice the conference call and work out the wrinkles is BEFORE the day of the live video stream.

I don't think it should be imposed on anyone who just wants to watch for a while all by themselves.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »

I'm willing to try Skype voice if anyone is interested.  Would help coordinate coffee and bathroom breaks between participants.

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »

Ric, what's your best guess of the time of day/night our time (EDT) they might start their ROV operations?

I'd hate to go to bed and miss your alerting email. :'(

I'm sure they are capable of working at night Niku time if the Captain is ok staying that close to the reef in the dark, but daylight at Niku is oh-dark-thiry here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org