Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1953 reef analysis  (Read 10932 times)

John Klier

• TIGHAR member
1953 reef analysis
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »

Since discussions have been light lately I've been rummaging through the forum and past news letters to re-familiarize myself with past discussions, expeditions, etc....

I was looking at a past bulletin with this image.

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/56_WhereIsElectra/Photekanalysis.jpg

What I'm curious about is what's different about the bright spots that are the objects of interest in comparison to all of the other bright spots on the reef?  I assume there's more to see in the original vs. the online image.

I did do a forum search but didn't find any discussion specific to that image.  My apologies to Marty if my search was not thorough enough. I really did try.  ;)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: 1953 reef analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:06:32 AM »

What I'm curious about is what's different about the bright spots that are the objects of interest in comparison to all of the other bright spots on the reef?  I assume there's more to see in the original vs. the online image.

The thing that's different is that the objects of interest occur in two separate photos.  All the other bright spots are  dust particles or flaws in the photos.  The objects of interest are real things and one of them is exhibiting what's called a "specular reflection" that you only get from metal.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:24:55 AM »

I did do a forum search but didn't find any discussion specific to that image.  My apologies to Marty if my search was not thorough enough. I really did try.  ;)

You da man, John!  Keep up the good work with searching and reading and questioning.  Well done!

I don't think I've seen a direct answer to your particular question in the Forum before.  This search apparently finds 49 references to 1953 arial photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1953+aerial+photos&sitesearch=tighar.org

(Browsing through those results pages turns up the possibility that Adam Marsland has participated in an earlier version of the Forum!  If it is the same Adam Marsland, he has participated an epic search for Bill Ewasko in the Joshua Tree National Park.)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »

I don't think I've seen a direct answer to your particular question in the Forum before.

The four objects on the reef are mentioned in "Corroboration," a short article in the September 1997 issue of TIGHAR Tracks.
articlehttps://tighar.org/Publications/TTracks/13_1/corroboration.html

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

Hi John,

Welcome aboard!

There's some more information and interesting reading here:

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/41_WheelofFortune/41_Wheel.html

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »

I hate to start another camels in the clouds thing,

Don't worry.  You won't.

but I'd like to know what the shiny object is on the coast of Niku.  The first picture is the enlarged google earth view, the second picture shows some context.  I wondered if it might be part of a more recent wreck of some kind? Or is it something left over from the british evacuation back when?  Or a shadow and my imagination?  Thoughts?

I don't see a shiny object.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »

I've drawn a sophisticated yellow box around the area in question.  Please no smart remarks.

Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but I just don't see any yellow boxes in the picture at all.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »

I see the yellow box drawn with hi-liter, but I see nothing of interest in the box.  That area is just a short way up the beach from the landing channel.  We walked past there every day.  This is what it looks like.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »

I see the yellow box drawn with hi-liter,

OK.  That was the clue I needed.  I was looking for a different kind of yellow box.

My monitor must not be calibrated correctly.

Or my mind.

Now I see it!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:12 PM »

Took me a while, but now I see it.  I believe what you are looking at is a depression in the coral that happens to have the odd aircraft shaped look to it.  It can look like the inverse, where it seems to be an object, but is actually a void.  If you notice, there are a bunch of shadows visible - the dark spots all on the south east side of several corners which happen to be in line with the shadows from the trees.  In the end, I don't think that what you see, or think you see, is there.  It is coral formations and the gaps between them.

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org