Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New show on history channel about Amelia Earhart  (Read 69321 times)

Alfred Hendrickson

• TIGHAR member
Re: New show on history channel about Amelia Earhart
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:27 PM »

"Yamano's evidence, which he says he obtained in 30 minutes, undercuts the History Channel's claim that the famed aviator crash-landed in the Marshall Islands and became a prisoner of the Japanese military."

I like that they point out he obtained the evidence in 30 minutes.

:)

Jim M Sivright

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »

The 1935 date slams the door.  Their refusal to accept it just makes them look desperate.

Has the History(sort of) Channel issued any kind of response to the Tighar's announcement disproving their
theory show? It took the Tighar team, what 2-3 days to prove that the photo was bunk, how long was the production of the show? Don't ya think someone would have at least thought of checking it out first?

Jim #1938R

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »

And it's likely, in my opinion, that's all they'll ever say. 

It's a really a shame how far the History Channel has sunk, putting "breathless journalism" and advertisement revenue above thorough, professional and honest research.  Sad to see someone like Lt Col Hampton led down the garden path by people with a pre-determined conclusion who cherry-picked the stories and ignored all of Tighar's research because it didn't fit with the story they wanted to sell.

Col Hampton should contact Ric if he's interested in learning about the Tighar hypothesis. 

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:42 PM »

Did anyone record this show?

We were out at sea when it was broadcast.  I'd like to see it even though it is not totally debunked.

Andrew

Russ Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2017, 01:37:11 AM »

You may be able to stream it on the History Channel website.

http://www.history.com/specials/amelia-earhart-the-lost-evidence

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »

Col Hampton should contact Ric if he's interested in learning about the Tighar hypothesis.

I know Dan Hampton.  I helped him with his recently published book "The Flight - Charles Lindbergh's Daring and Immortal 1927 Transatlantic Crossing" (Harper Collins, 2017).  He gives me a glowing endorsement in the Acknowledgements:
"Ric Gillespie executive director of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) made the prologue possible. His exhaustive compilation of reports and personal experiences concerning the disappearance of the White Bird are unparalleled."
I appreciated his compliments and and I hoped to be able to write a glowing review of his book, but it turned out to contain some egregious errors that will be apparent to any pilot. So, as Thumper said, "If ya can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all."
I had no idea Dan was working with the History Channel on a show about Earhart.  He never asked me anything about it, so don't paint him as a victim.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »

If you check the tighar Facebook page you will see a post about a press release from Republic of the Marshall Islands Ministry of Foreign Affairs that claims the dock in the photo was built in 1936 and therefore the date from Japanese book ( of 1935) is wrong.  The information appears to based on the same elders recollections that also recalls the presence of AE and FN.  In my opinion the wooden dock that most of the figures stand on in the photo looks fairly unworn while the road that leads up to it is much more worn.
There are photos online of a much bigger dock present during the German colonial occupation ( see picture 1) around the turn of the century which may have been destroyed in a cyclone that hit the islands.  The second picture (from this website https://sportshop02.ru/Jaluit/0) is titled "The Germania arrives near empty in Jaluit Lagoon about 1911.".  The dock is mostly obscured  in this photo but what can be seen matches up with what is in the history channel photo

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »

If you look at recent pictures of the Jabor or “Jabwor” harbor, there is a dock that looks “L” shaped. If you were looking out from the island the dock has a projection extending from the left side. You can see this in marketing pics as well as google earth. It looks to be made of concrete.

In the older pictures it looks like the sides of the dock are made of wood piles holding back fill.
In the picture published in 1935 there is no extension to the left so it is not “L” shaped at that time and you can still make out the tops of what looks like wood piles. The very end of the dock transitions to a wood deck instead of fill.

I don’t see any tracks/ railway in the picture from the 1935 book but see them in much earlier pictures posted here and on the Facebook page?

3971R

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:02:55 PM by Greg Daspit »

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »

You may be able to stream it on the History Channel website.

http://www.history.com/specials/amelia-earhart-the-lost-evidence

It's not currently on the History channel AFAIK, but someone posted it on YouTube on July 12, probably as a bootleg so who knows how long it will be there. I find it hard to watch because of the sensationalizing.

Jon
Jon Romig 3562R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31:33 PM »

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dirk_Spennemann/publication/277964781_Typhoons_in_Micronesia_A_history_of_tropical_cyclones_and_their_effects_until_1914/links/5579fdb608ae752158717c7c.pdf

This has a lot of information on the Jabor dock before the 1905 typhoon with pictures of damage to the "Coaling Pier" or "Gesellschaft"(society) pier. It also includes a map showing where the pictures were taken from and names for structures. Starts on page 115.
The wood decked section at the end was destroyed along with the wood structures on the solid section. The wood section at the end looked larger in earlier pictures. Maybe it was rebuilt with smaller dimensions  after the storm. "The Germania arrives near empty in Jaluit Lagoon about 1911" photo Matt Revington posted looks like it has a smaller wood decked end similar, to the one in the 1935 book.  The double bitt bollard at the end also looks in the same place.
3971R

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:52:17 PM by Greg Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 08:19:12 AM »

Like the smell of napalm in the morning:
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amelia-earhart-1202499852/

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »

First I've heard the authenticity of the book is being question.  Any details?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »

Pure desperation.  The date is a librarian stamp, not a copyright.  So?  Why would a librarian stamp the book as being received in 1935 if it was not received in 1935?  The book is not bound but is two-hole punched and the pages secured with cord - therefore the picture could have been added to the book later.  Really?  The rest of the book puts the photo in context with the authors travels.  There is no evidence that any pages were added later.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »

The date is a librarian stamp, not a copyright.  So?  Why would a librarian stamp the book as being received in 1935 if it was not received in 1935?  The book is not bound but is two-hole punched and the pages secured with cord - therefore the picture could have been added to the book later.  Really?  The rest of the book puts the photo in context with the authors travels.  There is no evidence that any pages were added later.
In addition to the stamp, if you look on web page 113 there appears to be a printing notice.
http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/1223403/99?platform=hootsuite

This was translated on this forum by "Bonnie". I ran the character she translated as "printing" through an online translator and did translate to "Printing"
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/busy-time-for-project-amelia-earhart-flyer.572498/page-8
She also talks about the binding being typical.
See PDF for with her translation annotated to what appears be a printing notice at the back of the book.

Edit: Characters provided below that you can copy and insert into a Japanese to English Translator.

昭和 = Showa (Showa 10 is 1935 http://seinenkai.com/articles/dates.html)
十 = ten
年= year

十 = ten
月 = month

五 = 5
日 = day

印 = mark
刷 = printing
3971R

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:36:25 PM by Greg Daspit »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »

Pure desperation.  The date is a librarian stamp, not a copyright.  So?  Why would a librarian stamp the book as being received in 1935 if it was not received in 1935?  The book is not bound but is two-hole punched and the pages secured with cord - therefore the picture could have been added to the book later.  Really?  The rest of the book puts the photo in context with the authors travels.  There is no evidence that any pages were added later.

A friend of mine wrote the following about all this:

"Good drama and true facts are only occasional bedfellows"

amck
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org