Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Research Needed - H.O Chart #1198  (Read 87594 times)

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: Research Needed - H.O Chart #1198
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »

Sometimes these little details are more of a curiosity than of importance, ...but just noticing the little ribbon like feature that is attached to the handle of the case, makes me wonder what is on the other end , if anything. In the first attachment , the ribbon is draped over the edge and the end of it goes inside the case. In the second, it appears as if something is in Earhart's hand as she begins to open the lid. Key? Tag?  Just a conversation item.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »

I would guess key.

My dad had several metal boxes with slanted lids like the case in the photos, in which he mostly kept maps and other papers he needed in his paleontology field camps, and they all had a lock with a key.

Andrew

Arthur Rypinski

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2017, 06:16:20 AM »

I would guess that the map box is a piece of custom luggage made for Earhart by Orenstein, who made and sold "Amelia Earhart" luggage.   There is an interesting illustrated account of Earhart's dealings with Orenstein in Barbara Schultz' "Endorsed by Earhart."   

I suspect (but don't know) that the contents were the collection of strip maps, airport diagrams, and other information produced for the first world flight by Clarence Williams, much of which ended up at Purdue.  Each envelope perhaps contained material for a specific phase of the trip. 

Note that the pile by the aircraft  includes an ungodly long roll of paper that is presumably contains maps that are much wider than the width of an Electra cockpit.

adr

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »

I haven't seen the case in later images, during the second attempt, still looking for any, but she may have abandoned that means of carrying them by then.

Then again, in this image thought to be taken just before the second attempt, it appears it is still part of the items she plans on taking with her the second go around. Maybe a revision of the map list and contents though this time, because of the course change. This bulletin https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/18_FireExtinguisher/18_Fireext.html seems to verify the time when this photo was taken.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:58:34 AM by Jerry Germann »

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2017, 02:00:14 PM »

On the Luke field inventory

"51   1   "   Carrying case with key containing 14 folders" "

As Jerry noted in an earlier post the ribbon attached to the handle  of the case visible in some photos likely was there to hold the key, so it was brought on the first attempt, since AE had Manning and Noonan on that flight it would seem likely that it didn't hold maps but maybe other necessary documents and perhaps manuals for the electra and other onboard equipment.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org