Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Research Needed - H.O Chart #1198  (Read 87188 times)

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
Re: Research Needed - H.O Chart #1198
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »

Okay, after studying the HO 5050 index map a bit longer, it looks like the best choices for the Howland flight would have been a combination of HO 5050 sheet 16 and HO5050 sheet 17.  Both charts cover from about 18 degrees N latitude to 8 degrees south.  Sheet 16 runs from Lae to the Gilberts, and Sheet 17 runs from the Gilberts to the Line Islands, and includes Howland and the Phoenix Group.  A third chart would be needed for the Howland-Honolulu leg.  Most of what passed for alternates to Howland are on Sheet 17.

Arthur,

Here is Plotting chart number 16

Map images courtesy NARA;
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:24:42 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2017, 09:27:56 PM »

Here is a nice little map H.O 124

Map images courtesy of NARA

The map makers didn't do too bad a job depicting Gardners shape ( needs a little tweeking)....tree height mentioned
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:33:17 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »

With all this map talk, I skimmed through some more images , trying to find additional images of Earhart and Noonan carrying maps aboard the Electra. I could be way, way off on this one,( it could just be a record case or something), but upon looking at the image where Earhart is posed packing her clothing for the trip, we see another suitcase (for lack of a better identifier), sitting on the floor in front of her. What are the objects in and beside the case? Are they maps attached to folded pieces of cardboard, along with a couple of large atlas books inside the case? It may or may not indicate the size of the maps she took aboard,...just throwing it out there. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:01:00 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

I could be way, way off on this one,( it could just be a record case or something),
If by record case you mean phonograph records, I think the proportions are wrong (too long compared to height).

It looks like a custom flight case but sized for (and containing) a larger than usual number of maps and atlases. Note the bias (slope) of the top of the case body that makes access to the maps easier.
Jon Romig 3562R

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:07:47 PM by Jon Romig »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »

I could be way, way off on this one,( it could just be a record case or something),
If by record case you mean phonograph records, I think the proportions are wrong (too long compared to height). It looks like an early version of a document briefcase but sized for (and containing) maps and atlases.

My bad.....yes 78's or other phonograph records of the era.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:05:17 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »

It seems odd to me that Amelia would have all these maps rather than Fred. Could it be a travel set of fabrication drawings for the Electra?
Jon Romig 3562R

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2017, 10:45:57 PM »

My best guess would be, The party organizing the photo op, wanted a capture trying to convince the viewers of the seemingly preparedness of the subject. "I'm taking all essentials!" Nice catch by the way Jon, I hadn't noticed the sloping top before, it would make for easier access to objects front and back.( noted by red lines).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:48:41 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »

If by record case you mean phonograph records, I think the proportions are wrong (too long compared to height).

It looks like a custom flight case but sized for (and containing) a larger than usual number of maps and atlases. Note the bias (slope) of the top of the case body that makes access to the maps easier.

It appears the case with whatever it is inside, is part of the Earhart luggage line. It has identical design lines, etc ,as the ones she is sitting on and are beside her, in her advertising photo....(see attachment). I haven't found an ad where it identifies this particular style case though, all have been other use designations. I don't know if she repurposed this case to hold the objects we see in it, or if she designed it for that purpose originally ( to hold books, magazines, papers, etc). Looking in old ads, trying to find that particular case.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2017, 09:49:41 AM »

It looks like the bag made to the airport for a photo shoot, I'm fairly sure this is it. We need to remember that Fred was only with her on the world flight.  AE flew the Electra to Purdue, around the midwest in the fall of 1936 and other flights without  Fred where she would need her own maps and other documents
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:12:43 AM by Matt Revington »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2017, 11:27:56 PM »

I don't know if she repurposed this case to hold the objects we see in it, or if she designed it for that purpose originally ( to hold books, magazines, papers, etc). Looking in old ads, trying to find that particular case.

No luck in my search yet, ....one site showed an assortment of sizes and shapes, from hat boxes along with regular looking suitcases,but one carrying case did have a similar top as the one we are discussing, that was labeled as a dress carrying case, but I don't believe the article we are looking at would be that. I did find she didn't design the luggage, but did have some requirements if she were too have her name attached to them... https://www.kovels.com/collectors-questions/amelia-earhart-luggage.html , so that dispels my thought about her designing a literature carrying case for herself or the populous.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:30:44 PM by Jerry Germann »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »

Here is a phonograph record carrying case. As Jon mentioned, the one Earhart has seems to long to be that, though shaped the same as the smaller one shown below. Did they make double length examples, for those who had large record collections?

Daniel R. Brown

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

This photo legend (3_12_37 Oakland Tribune ) says the suitcase is to hold maps.

Dan Brown, #2408

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »

Thanks Daniel,  That answers some questions I had concerning that item. There are several images , whereby she is looking at maps, ( with cylindrical tubes nearby)....but it looks as if she decided on this apparatus to carry them aboard, at least during the initial planning. I haven't seen the case in later images, during the second attempt, still looking for any, but she may have abandoned that means of carrying them by then.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »

Thanks Daniel,  That answers some questions I had concerning that item. There are several images , whereby she is looking at maps, ( with cylindrical tubes nearby)....but it looks as if she decided on this apparatus to carry them aboard, at least during the initial planning. I haven't seen the case in later images, during the second attempt, still looking for any, but she may have abandoned that means of carrying them by then.

Fred was navigating on the second flight.  He probably had the maps and his own method of carrying them around with him.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »

Here is another image of Earhart with that unusual style case ( see attachment)....with Noonan and Manning aboard. I wonder what maps either of them had along, but it seems Earhart was prepared map wise, to go the rest of the way after dropping her passengers off. Seems a rather large map rolled up ( red arrow) leaning against the assemblage of goods. Appears she didn't have any qualms about taking larger maps aboard. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org