Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ray Mahoney of Cincinnati, OH  (Read 30949 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Ray Mahoney of Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 12:12:23 PM »

Forum reader Bert Kyzer found this information and sent it to me via email.

Topic: Ray Mahoney of Cincinnati, OH 
 Army Enlistment Record from World War II

Was hoping to get a hint about his occupation since that might help guess what kind of work he did for Amelia in Hollywood when he was aged 21 or 22; which then might be a breadcrumb to the actual record.  Maybe payroll tax or Social Security tax records for example..

No need to click this link since the data is pasted below, but I'll provide it in case needed:

http://www.ww2enlistment.org/index.php?page=directory&rec=994682

Here is a cut and paste:

Name
Raymond C Mahoney
Serial Number
State
Ohio
County
Hamilton
Rank
Private
Army
Regular Army - Officers, Enlisted Men, and Nurses
Birth Year
Enlist Date
07-17-1940
Enlistment Place
Fort Thomas Newport Kentucky
Term
Enlistment for Assignment To Another Corps Area
Nativity
Kentucky
Race
White
Citizenship
Citizen
Education
Grammar School
Marital Status
Single
Dependents
No Dependents
Enlistment Source
Civilian
Conflict Period
WWII, World War 2
Summary
Abstract for Raymond C Mahoney - Brief overview of enlistment file

Harbert William Davenport

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »

https://www.newspapers.com/image/102531307/?terms=Gertrude%2BMahoney

There is a link to the April 2006 obit of Raymond Clinton Mahoney's wife Gertrude nee Holzapfel.  It lists a son Roger and a grandson Marty, as well as other relatives.  I will soon be trying to contact Roger and Marty, both of whom have addresses in western Cincinnati.
    On July 11 Marty Mahoney wrote me that he has no recollection of his grandfather's ever mentioning Earhart or anything related to the published reports of his having heard her distress calls.
H. Wm. (Bill) Davenport
3555R Prof of Philos, ret.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:01:36 PM by Harbert William Davenport »

Jennifer Hubbard

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »

Very good catch Jennifer.

The key was the address you posted from that article!

It just goes to show that shared research works best.

Yes, it's great to see puzzle pieces coming together from multiple sources. Now let us hope the Mahoney family has some info ...

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »

It is evident from public records that Raymond Clinton Mahoney (1915-1995) was for some years virtually an orphan, and led a troubled childhood that did not prepare him well for being truthful with authorities.  He received no more than an 8th grade education, in a Louisville orphanage and a Kentucky state reform school (1930 US Census).  The only postwar employment I have found referenced was as an animal caretaker with the Cincinnati zoo.
   There are still some gaps in the available records, filling which could conceivably help bolster his credibility.  I still have not found what work he was doing in California in Feb 1937 when he was issued his Social Security card there.  And I have found no record of his WW2 service beyond his enlistment in the Army Corps of Engineers, including the info Ric has already posted above.
   In short, I have so far found no reason in the public records to recommend changing the TIGHAR assessment of “not credible,” concerning his reports claiming to have heard AE’s distress calls: https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/ResearchPapers/Brandenburg/signalcatalog3.html
   I have not yet received any reply to the letters I mailed just last week to his son and grandson in Cincinnati.  I will be very happy if they are able to shed any light on the matter.
   On July 11 Marty Mahoney wrote me that he has no recollection of his grandfather's ever mentioning Earhart or anything related to the published reports of his having heard her distress calls.
H. Wm. (Bill) Davenport

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:04:05 PM by Harbert William Davenport »

Clarence Carlson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »

This is good work Bill. I pecked away at this also and found an item in, if I recall correctly, the Louisville KY newspaper when he was 15. He was discovered at the front of a school with a brick and was detained for vandalism. That explains the 1930 census entry for the Kentucky House of Reform.

I look forward to anything you hear from surviving relatives.
Clarence Carlson
TIGHAR Member #3976D

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »

Raymond’s arrest for “attempted schoolhouse breaking and delinquency” in Louisville occurred mid-October 1931, so a year and a half AFTER the 1930 Census records him as an inmate in the Kentucky House of Reform (& also as NOT having “attended school”). (See Louisville Courier-Journal 15 Oct 1931 p 19; Cincinnati Enquirer 16 Oct 1931 p 26 https://www.newspapers.com/clip/5872681/raymond_mahoney_arrested_in_louisville/.)
  In Oct 1931 he gave his address as Cincinnati, and his only relative there, other than his sister in a residential girls' school, was his father, with his second wife and their 5 young children.  So we can guess that his father might have helped get him out of reform school by offering to take him into his home.  But as far as we know Raymond had previously lived in an orphanage in Louisville, rather than with his father’s second family.  So it’s easy to imagine that as a troubled teen he did not fit well into a household with his step-mother and five half-siblings all under ten years of age.  And if he was living in Cincinnati in Oct 1931, what was he doing back in Louisville, 100 miles distant?  Possibly visiting his old friends from the Baptist Orphans Home, from which he had run away as a 10 year old in 1925 (Louisville Courier-Journal, 27 Nov 1925, p 22 https://www.newspapers.com/clip/5872771/raymond_mahoney_at_age_10_ran_away_from/)?  (Ten-year-old Raymond was found in Jeffersonville as a runaway from the Louisville Baptist Orphans Home, according to that news report.  That is no doubt Jeffersonville INDIANA, directly across the Ohio River from Louisville, NOT Jeffersonville Kentucky, as I first thought.  That helps explain why the boy was “scantily clad and covered in mud.”  He somehow made it across the Ohio River.  Must have been a pretty good swimmer!)

H. Wm. (Bill) Davenport

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:54:56 PM by Harbert William Davenport »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org