Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mysterious new object on Nikumaroro  (Read 12965 times)

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
Mysterious new object on Nikumaroro
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »

I was just browsing google earth and noticed a new white object has appeared on the beach near the Beavington Object side of the NW corner of the island. If you use the way-back feature and go back to the 2007 photo it's not there. But on the last two photos from 2014 it is there.  What could it be?

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Mysterious new object on Nikumaroro
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »

Styrofoam fish cooler... part of a hatch cover ... one of those plastic folding tables from Walmart ... one of Bigfoot's flip-flops ...
It might be interesting if the Betchart trip going next summer could check and see of it's still there, it might give an idea of how long things stay in once place on that shoreline.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:18:41 AM »

"Styrofoam fish cooler... part of a hatch cover ... one of those plastic folding tables from Walmart." The object is way to big to be any of those things. Probably a couple meters long.  It is not there in July 2012 satellite imagery.  It probably arrived during the big storm event that hit the western end of the island roughly a year before we were there last year.  The beach slope in that area is tall and steep.  I have a recollection of a big washed-up structure of some kind along there somewhere.  Stuff comes and goes depending on how often really big waves hit the island.  It has been happening more frequently over the past twenty years due to climate change.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:15:17 AM »

I should have said commercial styrofoam fish cooler. Some of the types used by near-offshore fishing boats are rather large boxes, 8-12 feet long and 4-8 feet wide, based on what I have seen at various fishing port docks.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Gary Vance

• TIGHAR member
  • "Virtual" member #4847
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »

I hope someone will make a trek in the upcoming June visit to go see what this thing is!

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »

Bunch of us hiked past this object in 2015.  I don't remember anything in particular of notice, but there was some debris up there.  Often there are bundles of fishing floats all caught in in part of a net, or other raft like objects that have a lot of white floats on them.

Maybe I can find a photo from 2015.

amck

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »

This afternoon I caught something from the object 2014 picture that looked somewhat out of its place. Thing is its not in the other picture...which is very odd! It appears rectangular shape...up and down...as shown follow the red arrows. There also is another mysterious object more inland from the beach but may appear to be a part of the rectangular structure or whatever it may be. Okay Tigharees...and Tigharetes...Sound off on this one...thanks...and let's get this forum a buzzing again...By the way...Mr. Tom King had a wonderful podcast last night on Facebook. You all need to check it out. It runs for quite sometime and very informative and outstanding if I may say so. Thing is Tom...it ended for some reason and you were still talking..I might have to go back and listen again...But, those of you who want to get involved...this is the thing to listen to...Well Done Mr. King!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org