Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?  (Read 551415 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »

Seller of this first sextant says the following

"Hi. Yes, the number is 6028 and the box says 3850. There are no numbers etched on the arc or on the box. It appears that a label may have been removed from the inner lid, but it is no longer with the set. Thanks for your interest."

Couple of Brandis popped up on eBay today.

First looks like Serial 6028 in Box 3850

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122449968517?ul_noapp=true

From the photos, I can't see any USNO number etched on the arc.  I'll ask the seller if there is one.

Interesting that the serial number is in its own little polished "bubble".  I would take that, along with the high serial number, and no USNO number to mean that this unit is a later manufactured instrument compared to most of the sextants we've seen, and probably was never in the Navy inventory.

Andrew

Andrew, do you mean Brandis 6028?  I can't tell whether the 3850 is from Brandis or N.O.  Offhand, it sounds like two Brandis numbers to me, with no N.O. intervention in the case.
[/size]
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »

Marty asks (I had to get my magnifying glass out to read the teeny tiny print !)

<<<<
Andrew, do you mean Brandis 6028?  I can't tell whether the 3850 is from Brandis or N.O.  Offhand, it sounds like two Brandis numbers to me, with no N.O. intervention in the case.
>>>>>

Yes, the first is Brandis 6028, found on the left end of the arc, inside box #3850, which I take to be also a Brandis number as it is stenciled onto the box as other Brandis numbers are.

Apparently there is no USNO number for this instrument.

Andrew

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »

Seller of the second sextant has the following to say

"Hi.
There are no numbers at the left end of the arc. All numbers are shown in images, some of which are new. The number on the box is 5756."

Checking the posting again,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332184487778?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

there are some new photos of the USNO number on the arc, and the calibration stickers from 1935 and 1937.  The numbers on the stickers and the instrument of course do not match, so bear with me.

The sextant
Serial unknown
USNO # 1142

The Box
5756 stenciled (Brandis)

The calibration sticker
USNO 1114
Brandis 5756

So, the box matches the sticker and originally held Brandis 5756, USNO 1114

Instrument in the box is Brandis ????, USNO 1142.

I've asked the seller to please eyeball the instrument again for the serial number at the end of the arc or elsewhere.

Andrew

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »

Marty asks (I had to get my magnifying glass out to read the teeny tiny print !)

Sorry about that!

There is some bug (or feature) in Chrome that does not play well with the Forum software.   :(

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2017, 02:14:31 PM »

OK.  I've put Brandis 5756 NO 1114 into the table.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »

Has anyone been able to search through this collection; http://rs5.loc.gov/service/mss/eadxmlmss/eadpdfmss/2013/ms013013.pdf
Though born in a foreign land, he immigrated to the U.S. and started a navigational school in California. I believe it was he who was shown the box found on Gardner and was asked for his opinion concerning it.  Mr Gatty may have been familiar with Brandis boxes, and the sextants within, having resided in the U.S. for some time before that event. It would be interesting to see if there is any reference to the Gardner box in his papers. I wish I were closer to the collection.
Box 22 has some photographs , but I suppose the chance that the Gardner box would be included in one would be small.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:01:40 PM by Jerry Germann »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: April 20, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »

Seller of the second sextant has the following to say

"Hi.
There are no numbers at the left end of the arc. All numbers are shown in images, some of which are new. The number on the box is 5756."

Checking the posting again,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332184487778?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

there are some new photos of the USNO number on the arc, and the calibration stickers from 1935 and 1937.  The numbers on the stickers and the instrument of course do not match, so bear with me.

The sextant
Serial unknown
USNO # 1142

The Box
5756 stenciled (Brandis)

The calibration sticker
USNO 1114
Brandis 5756

Instrument in the box is Brandis ????, USNO 1142.

I've asked the seller to please eyeball the instrument again for the serial number at the end of the arc or elsewhere.

Andrew

Seller of this sextant sent me the following:

<<<<<<<<
Great news! Not having ever held one of these before, I was holding it upside down, so there were no numbers on the "left" end. Having righted the world, and removing a bit of smutz, I find 5981 in tiny numbers in the silver band. Thank you for sticking with me on this!

Kimberly
>>>>>>>>>>>>

So this instrument is
Brandis 5981
Navy 1142

in Box originally for
Brandis 5756
Navy 1114

It is interesting that these relatively high Brandis numbers have relatively low Navy numbers.  Sure would love to find the USNO calibration archives....

Andrew

Arthur Rypinski

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #412 on: April 23, 2017, 05:44:35 AM »

Re:  Gatty papers

Harold Gatty has many different connections with the Earhart saga.  I had no idea that his papers even existed, much less that they are in the Library of Congress in Washington.  Gatty was an Australian, and a a famous navigator on several early long-distance flights.  He was a proselytizer for the use of celestial navigation in aviation.  Along with Weems, he worked on several inventions to make it more practical.  He was hired by Pan Am, circa 1935, to organize their air service in the South Pacific.  I don't know exactly how and when he first went to Fiji, but he was consulted on the sextant box when it turned up.  Gatty certainly lived in Fiji after World War II, where, among other activities, he started an airline.  He died in 1957.   

Paul Blackman

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »

Hi Ric, Hi fellow TIGHARs

Greetings from Warsaw, Poland ! Have just joined so apologies in advance if this post is in the wrong place.

Have been fascinated by the Niku hypothesis for a while now and having had some time on my hands over the weekend decided to take a look at the whole sextant piece. Maybe our search filters work a little better over here or maybe being mildly autistic helps :) but I may have found an additional 13 sextants online, 11 with USNO numbers and 8 with both USNO and Makers Number.

Have prepared a detailed Table using the same headings as the Ameliapedia Sextant Table and have tried very hard to find a way to attach a screenshot with details or a file but can't seem to figure that out. Table has links to the relevant websites. Anyone able to help me out with how to share this ?

In the meantime, I guess the really good stuff is as follows in the following format:        Maker / Maker Number / USNO Number, - = Unknown, K&E = Keufel & Esser, B&B = Buff & Buff, B= Brandis

- / - / 33
K&E / 470 / 107
K&E / 14279 / 330
K&E / - / 350
K&E / - / 438
B&B / 13024 (Box), 13135 (Sextant) / 1365
B&B / 13029 (or 13020) / 14XX
- / 3126 / 3126 (either or, Listing Unclear)
K&E / 37305 / 3277
B / 2551 (or 2561) / 4244
K&E / 3884 (Crossed Out) and replaced with 8737 / 5225
B&B / - / - Only partly visible
B / 5996 on Box. Crossed out and replaced with 6006 / -

Haven't tried to analyse these, will leave that to others far more qualified.

Anyway, hope useful. Will post full details including links as soon as someone lets me know how. That being said I'm just leaving for the airport for a flight to Moscow but have tomorrow morning free so would try to do then.

Hope useful and Happy Hunting.

Best

Paul

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »

Anyway, hope useful. Will post full details including links as soon as someone lets me know how.

You mail email me the file with the links--spreadsheet or pdf or html or whatever.

There are tutorials on how to attach images, insert links, etc.

Putting tables in these Forum posts is nearly impossible.  I've tried many times, with unsatisfying results.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Paul Blackman

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2017, 11:41:25 PM »

Hi Marty
Can't make that work either.
Shall I just send to the general Tighar email address ?
Paul

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: April 26, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »

Hi Marty
Can't make that work either.
Shall I just send to the general Tighar email address ?
Paul

moleski@canisius.edu is where I get the email from TIGHAR.

moleski@canisius.edu has been in service for me since 1990.

It is a working email address.

All that this link does is to let you access that email address with your default email client.

Trying to send formatted material via our "contact us" form might
work, too.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Paul Blackman

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »

Hi
Done, sent to this mail.
The issue is not the address but rather that the link opens up in Microsoft Outlook whereas I'm running a Zoho system.
Best
Paul

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: April 27, 2017, 06:37:52 AM »

Done, sent to this mail.

Thanks.  I'll work on updating the sextant table after breakfast, all things being equal.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: May 01, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »

OK, this took a while to sort out.

I've done a temporary sextants table so that Andrew and others can see the new items that you proposed to add to the big table.

With any luck, I've also attached the spreadsheet that Paul emailed me, with coloring and comments.  I've made some corrections in inspection dates and made decisions about various numbers.

The last entry, Brandis 5996/6006 is most interesting.  I think it is an aviation quadrant, with an electric light (see the wires and the on/off switch on the handle.  I suspect that the inspection certificate was for 5996 and that 6006 got placed in the wrong box.  The mysterious "Weems 805W" on the inspection certificate is tantalizing.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org