Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?  (Read 550093 times)

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
Re: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »

Two Brandis Sextants showed up on eBay

This one has USNO # 4812. In one of the photos, I think I see the Brandis number 3298.  I've asked about the serial number to verify.  Doesn't appear to be a box with this unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131202642055&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Update 6/2/14 - Seller verified that the Brandis number is 3298, USNO 4812

[/quote]
Next one is a unit in a box, no numbers are noted.  The box has a calibration sticker, but it is unclear whether this is a USNO sticker or not, the Maker is listed as Brandis, but the number simply says HIGH GRADE and is dated 11/15/38.

Photos supplied are of low resolution, so it is impossible to see any detail where the serial number ought to be.  I've asked the seller to look for numbers and perhaps upgrade his photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231245054066&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Andrew
[/quote]

Seller indicates that the number "5859 is stenciled on the inside of the box."  Frustratingly, they didn't verify if the same number was at the end of the arc, but my guess is that it is there.  If so, it would be a pretty high Brandis number in our list, and perhaps never made it into the USNO inventory.  I've asked for verification.  Appears not to have a USNO number.

Andrew

richie conroy

• T5
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2014, 08:57:35 PM »

Sorry if this has been posted previously

:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARINE-SEXTANT-BY-COOKE-OF-HULL-NO-1668-IN-ORIGINAL-BOX-AND-IN-GOOD-CONDITION-/351083732093?pt=UK_Antiques_Marine_RL&hash=item51be389c7d

Thanks

It doesn't fit the profile that we are investigating: sextants with two numbers, one from the manufacturer and one from the Naval Observatory.  I don't see any NO number on this one.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2014, 10:04:08 AM »

Different Brandis on eBay, this one made into a lamp!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221466836499&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I asked the seller if there are any numbers to be found.

Update

Seller says:
"Hello I found on the one backside of the piece of wood 5391 and on the other side of the piece of wood it says you USED looks like I added those two photos to the auction I hope this helps you"

I don't think we've ever seen a Brandis with the numbers in the wood of the handle.  This would be a fairly high serial number,second highest one we've seen, and one that perhaps never made it into the USNO inventory.

I think the USED is actually U.S.E.D, as in United States, E..... D...... as it appears to me that there are periods between the letters.  No idea what the U.S.E.D. might be.  Education Department?

will attempt to post photos

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:41:31 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Hal Beck

• T1
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:12 AM »

Hello,

I've read Tighar reports and Ameliapedia about the sextant box. From what I've read here (and in the 2001 edition of the Tom King et. al book) I understand that in the late 90's and even until 2001, it was not yet clear that the two numbers seemed to be Brandis/USNO numbers.  When did the breakthrough occur, and how?  Is there a report on this that I missed?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:26:49 PM by Hal Beck »

Steve Lyle Gunderson

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2014, 12:33:14 PM »

Different Brandis on eBay, this one made into a lamp!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221466836499&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I asked the seller if there are any numbers to be found.

Update

Seller says:
"Hello I found on the one backside of the piece of wood 5391 and on the other side of the piece of wood it says you USED looks like I added those two photos to the auction I hope this helps you"

I don't think we've ever seen a Brandis with the numbers in the wood of the handle.  This would be a fairly high serial number,second highest one we've seen, and one that perhaps never made it into the USNO inventory.

I think the USED is actually U.S.E.D, as in United States, E..... D...... as it appears to me that there are periods between the letters.  No idea what the U.S.E.D. might be.  Education Department?

will attempt to post photos

Andrew

Looks like 5931 to me. I googled U.S.E.D. and got this. United States (Army) Engineering Department?
Steve G
#3911R

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:49:21 PM by Steve Lyle Gunderson »

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »

Hal,
Info regarding the sextant box and numbers can be found here and here.

A lot of information can be found using the TIGHAR site map, TIGHAR search, and the Ameliapedia.
Jim Stoveken

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »

Now that I look at it closer, you are right, does look like 5931.

I've asked the seller to verify which.

amck

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »

Hal

It was only after we started examining sextant boxes in detail and collecting the numbers that we were able to see that the pattern of two numbers per sextant was predominately reserved for Brandis sextants.  When did this occur?  I'm not sure of the exact time frame we came to that realization, but I think it was shortly after the 2001 expedition during which we found the little serrated "giddies".  If memory serves, we thought those might be parts from a sextant box that held parts in place, and research into sextant boxes followed.

Best.

Andrew

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »

Seller of the sextant / lamp verifies that the number is 5931, not 5391.

Puts this sextant even farther down the serial numbers, although there is # 5953 on our list.  I think these later sextants never made it into the USNO inventory, and the U.S.E.D. could very well be the US Army Engineering Dept.

See photo

amck

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: July 04, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »

Here is an interesting item that showed up on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-Brandis-C-O-Transit-ANTIQUE-IN-ORIGINAL-CASE-WITH-ORIG-label-/121376562755?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

A Brandis & Co Transit with box.  We haven't thought much about what other instruments were contained in boxes that might be mistaken for a sextant box, but note how the box for this transit is constructed substantially the same as the boxes for the Brandis sextants with the same latches, keyhole, interwoven corners, and hinges.  The shape is certainly different - considerably larger for one thing, and I would have to believe that anyone very familiar with sextants and their boxes would recognize that this was not a sextant box, but was Gallagher that familiar?  Certainly Harold Gatty who examined it later was.

Serial number on the unit is 1648, blurry in the photo, but confirmed by the seller who also verified that there were no other numbers imprinted, etched, or stenciled anywhere on the instrument or the box.

See Photos attached.

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:18:02 AM by Andrew M McKenna »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »

So that begs the question, Would Fred have used some other type of box for his "preventer" sextant? Or was it for something else entirely?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

Latest Sextant on eBay

Brandis 4182
USNO 2868
No Box

Fits right into the pattern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-NAVAL-SEXTANT-BRANDIS-SONS-BROOKLYN-N-Y-4182-ARC-READS-TO-185-/331277784216?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

see photos attached

Andrew

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »

Latest Sextant on eBay

Brandis 4182
USNO 2868
No Box

Thanks, Andrew.  Added to the table.

DRAT!  We've gone wrong somewhere.  I've tried to figure it out, but I can't decide which number is wrong.  We've got two 4180s:

Brandis  4180    2859 eBay; (no box) N/A
Brandis   4182    2868 eBay; (no box)
N/A
Brandis  4180    2895
no
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:35:00 PM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »

I noticed that too.

My guess is that the one with the link to Bill Morris is probably correct, and the numbers of the other one are simply transposed 59 instead of 95.

We could try to contact Bill Morris, or look through his book to see if we can verify the right number.

amck
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org