Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?  (Read 551132 times)

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
Re: Can you add to the list of sextant numbers?
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »

Hi All

Could the box under Fred Noonan's hat be a sextant box ?

You can see the hat clearly overlap's side's of box so we have good idea of box size.

Worth a closer look i believe

Thank's Richie

Hi Richie, from all the sextant boxes I've looked at, it sure seems plausible that it is one. In the upper right corner of the box you can see a segmented horizontal line going across the box. Seems that would signify that the "box" in the picture opens just as a sextant box would.. Or maybe it's just a stepping block, to reach higher while working on the aircraft. ???  ::)
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

Could the box under Fred Noonan's hat be a sextant box ?

I don't think so. I applied a couple sharpening filters and the dark spots appear to be just blotches.

If there was a sextant in the box, placing it where it could be easily kicked then covering it with a hat doesn't seem like something Noonan would do. Of course, maybe that's why they couldn't find Howland.
------
Doug

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »

Hi Doug

I believe the hat an sextant box are at least 10 to 12 feet away from work area

But on a serious note why would you kick a box an then cover it with a hat ?

I believe you would place all belongings in one spot near or far from abode ?

Thanks Richie
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »

Doug

Can i ask you your reasoning behind previous comments ?
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »

Can i ask you your reasoning behind previous comments ?

Just because a delicate piece of optical equipment would be handled with care. It looks like it's 5-6 feet away from the nearest worker where it could be easily kicked and knocked out of alignment. I just felt that an experienced navigator like Noonan would take particular care of his sextant.

I certainly don't know what was going on.
------
Doug

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

Found another Brandis & sons, http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/solid-brass-w-silver-inlay-brandis-sons-sextant    Has NO# 1810, and no box...
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »

Found another Brandis & sons, http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/solid-brass-w-silver-inlay-brandis-sons-sextant    Has NO# 1810, and no box...

Thanks, Jimmie.

We need the other number--the Brandis serial number--to make a pair for the sextant table.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »

Thanks, Jimmie.

We need the other number--the Brandis serial number--to make a pair for the sextant table.

You are quite welcome Mr. Moleski, to bad there was not a better description for us. I will make sure both numbers are documented, on any future post I make within this thread.
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »

... too bad there was not a better description for us. I will make sure both numbers are documented, on any future post I make within this thread.

I've modified the first post in this thread to make it more clear that, at a minimum, we are interested in the maker's number and the Naval Observatory number.

Hope that helps.   :)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2013, 06:58:15 AM »

Hello all, I have put quite a bit of time into trying to add to the list of sextant numbers. A few months ago I spoke with a veteran Navy Captain of 27 years. I explained what we were looking for. He told me to try to contact the "office of the oceanographer of the Navy, or the Bureau of Navy Aviation" He stated that the answers we seek might possibly turn up there. I have not had much luck, however I know I could be trying harder. Which I intend to do. I just thought with all of the professionals and military personnel that are engaged in this forum, one of you might have alot more strings to pull on then myself. It's a world of strings... Which one's can you pull?     
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »

Looks like another Brandis showed up on eBay, Navy 1982 and Brandis 4717.  In the photos all I can see is the USNO label, and 4717 stenciled on the corner of the box.  I've asked the seller if he can verify any numbers on the arc of the instrument. 

Price is way out of line with past sales by about a factor of 3.  No wonder they're offering free shipping....

amck

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »

Looks like another Brandis showed up on eBay, Navy 1982 and Brandis 4717.

I've added it to the list.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2013, 09:13:03 AM »

The plot thickens

seller tells me that the USNO number etched on the arc is actually 4017, not 4717, and he didn't find the Brandis number on the arc.  I've tried to direct him to where he can find the Brandis number, so hopefully he will see it and report what it is.  I've asked him to provide photos of the numbers, and check the old label on the box.  Box does have what looks to me to be 4717 stenciled near the hinge, but the second digit is a bit fuzzy.

So, we may actually get two pairs of numbers out of this set - 1982 and 4717, and xxxx with 4017.

Stay tuned.

amck

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »

Ok, here is the latest from the seller

The Sextant itself is USNO 4017 and Brandis 5156

The Box is USNO 4717 and Brandis 1982

He said he'd send me photos

Andrew

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »

The Sextant itself is USNO 4017 and Brandis 5156

The Box is USNO 4717 and Brandis 1982

OK.  I think I've fixed the table.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org