Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you tell what the can or container was that these fragments came from?  (Read 25544 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator

What kind of metal box would have had little rivets like these?

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John Ousterhout

• T4
Re: Can you tell what the can or container was that these fragments came from?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:32:56 PM »

The cross sectioned picture looks a bit like stackable "tin-ware" pans I remember seeing in my Grand Dad's cluttered shop, about 40 years ago.  He used them for storing odd parts - nuts, washers, etc.  The wire rolled in the edge strengthened the otherwise very thin sheet metal.  I recall them being made of a blued steel, presummably for baking, and I vaguely recall a sort of diamond embossed pattern on the bottom, and maybe sides as well. The angled sides allowed them to be stacked when empty.  The sheet metal was literally folded at the corners, like paper.  I don't recall exactly how the corner "tabs" were fastened, and I don't recall any rivets or washers, but the wire was visible at the 90-degree corners where the sheet metal didn't cover it.  They were about 12 x 25 cm, as I recall.
I don't recognize the other pieces.
Cheers,
JohnO

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:17:26 AM »

The cross sectioned picture looks a bit like stackable "tin-ware" pans I remember seeing in my Grand Dad's cluttered shop, about 40 years ago.  He used them for storing odd parts - nuts, washers, etc.  The wire rolled in the edge strengthened the otherwise very thin sheet metal.  I recall them being made of a blued steel, presumably for baking, and I vaguely recall a sort of diamond embossed pattern on the bottom, and maybe sides as well. The angled sides allowed them to be stacked when empty.  The sheet metal was literally folded at the corners, like paper.  I don't recall exactly how the corner "tabs" were fastened, and I don't recall any rivets or washers, but the wire was visible at the 90-degree corners where the sheet metal didn't cover it.  They were about 12 x 25 cm, as I recall.

Perhaps some kind of biscuit tin?

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »

I've got an old baking pan that looks like a good candidate.  It has the slanted wire edge, rivets, and layers at the corners. American vintage, but unknown exact year:
Cheers,
JohnO

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

Remains of a food tray from the LORAN station!

Would be interesting to know its context in the 7 site i.e. in or near a fire feature or closer to the rifle shells?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:18:29 AM »

Seems also the 7 site is much like so many other sites of human record in the world - more than one 'generation' found the place attractive for some variety of reasons - first the castaway, then the coasties - maybe (probably?) Gallagher & Co. in between.  That  does not make it easy to sort out the record, does it?

I believe that the islanders may also have hunted turtles there.

Some may also have honeymooned in the vicinity (with or without benefit of prior church services).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:44:13 AM »

Some may also have honeymooned in the vicinity (with or without benefit of prior church services).

'Honeymooned' is another matter - velly intellesting... I won't even ask what artifacts may support that ...

The claim I made was not based on archeology but on anecdote about courtship customs.  Some time during the last eleven years, I read or heard that young couples might spend some time together away from the village.  This suggests to me that some of the evidence of habitation at the Seven Site (multiple fire pits) might have been caused by couples.

I have searched in vain for this anecdote.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member

One of the critical items I suggest that would be salvaged from the plane and also taken to the 7 site is a First Aid Kit.
I googled the Tabloid Burroughs Wellcome & Co First Aid Kit listed in the invetnory of the Luke Field report and found these pictures of a metal box. It looks about 40cm so about the right size.
It appears to have fold-overs, rivets and round corners as well as sharper corners
On Craigslist
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/atq/3071435609.html

The piece you did a hypothetical cross section thru could be part of the lid that transisitons into the piano hinge.
The pieces with washers could be for the rotating clips with key holes like for a strap attachment,in 3rd picture down. I think carrying the box would be easier with a strap (also, see my theory on the little clips being to a strap to the sextant box)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vintage+first+aid+kit

There is also the Bauer and Black Box in the Luke Field Inventory that may be metal too.
3971R

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:54:02 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member

The label on the inside of this Tabloid Burroughs Wellcome & Co  first aid kit indicates its contents were good between Oct. 1, 1936 to September 30, 1937.
Rivets seem to be holding the piano hinge.
edit: I think to get this to suggest remains of 40cm on one side it would need to have been left open, like to collect water in both bottom and lid
3971R

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:36:36 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

jgf1944

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »

One of the critical items I suggest that would be salvaged from the plane and also taken to the 7 site is a First Aid Kit.
I googled the Tabloid Burroughs Wellcome & Co First Aid Kit listed in the invetnory of the Luke Field report and found these pictures of a metal box. It looks about 40cm so about the right size.
It appears to have fold-overs, rivets and round corners as well as sharper corners
On Craigslist
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/atq/3071435609.html
   Another "box" candidate is found in AE's Final Flight book: She and Fred were eliminating items in Lae, and "all Fred has is a small tin case which he picked up in Africa. I notice it still rattles, so it cannot be packed very full" (p.152 of the e-book edition).  JGF
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org