Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earhart on New Britain search suspended?  (Read 18258 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Earhart on New Britain search suspended?
« on: November 04, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »

It appears that David Billings, longtime proponent of the theory that Earhart and Noonan doubled back and crashed in New Britain, has at least temporarily suspended his efforts - ttp://www.electranewbritain.com/Page1.htm is now showing as inactive.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC

Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Earhart on New Britain search suspended?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »

It appears that David Billings, longtime proponent of the theory that Earhart and Noonan doubled back and crashed in New Britain, has at least temporarily suspended his efforts - ttp://www.electranewbritain.com/Page1.htm is now showing as inactive.

Fixed link, still shows "suspended":

http://www.electranewbritain.com/Page1.htm

I suspect it means that someone hasn't been paying the bills.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »

It looks like Mr. Billings has migrated his information to a new format, a blog, at: https://earhartsearchpng.com/

There is a lot of new material there, including more documents, photos and maps.

LTM,

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »

Well if that is the case, who made the post loss radio calls?  Better yet, who made the calls so close to Howland?  I guess she landed and refueled to fly back to crash in the jungle.  We know she said her fuel was low and she should be over Howland..."but can not see you". And who were the castaways on Gardner Island?  No one else was missing in that part of the world that I am aware of, that wore rouge anyway...and used a compact from the '30's.  Oh never mind! This is ridiculous!   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:16:38 AM »

It's not ridiculous to look at other possible explanations for something, no matter what that something is. Say what you want about Billings - and I personally don't agree with his theory - he does marshal a lot of interesting (sometimes compelling) information to support it. And he has put his money where his mouth is and put boots on the ground innumerable times, in a hostile and unforgiving environment.

LTM,

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »

Preposterous!  She certainly did not have 12 hours of fuel!  She even reported their fuel was running low when communicating with Itasca!   So no way possible.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:31 AM »

Dan, I didn't say I agreed with Billings' theory. I did say I think it's always a good idea to keep an open mind until all the facts are in on a case, whatever that case may be.

All the facts aren't in on where Amelia and Fred ended up. There is a lot of supposition and speculation, but at this point, that's all it is. Until the aircraft is found, that's all it can be. I would like TIGHAR to be right because I've got a lot of time, money and emotional energy invested in its theory, but I won't be devastated if someone else finds it at the bottom of the Pacific.

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »

Dan, I didn't say I agreed with Billings' theory. I did say I think it's always a good idea to keep an open mind until all the facts are in on a case, whatever that case may be.

I agree with Dan.  It's good to keep an open mind unless you keep it so open that your brain falls out. In this case, more than enough facts have been established to dismiss the New Britain theory as impossible.

All the facts aren't in on where Amelia and Fred ended up. There is a lot of supposition and speculation, but at this point, that's all it is. Until the aircraft is found, that's all it can be.

Nonsense. 

Doug Giese

• inactive
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 11:09:03 AM »

Monty is obviously a well educated and bright person. He doesn't deserve to be talked at in a condescending tone. So what if he doesn't fully subscribe to your views?
------
Doug

Stacy Galloway

• T2
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »

Monty is obviously a well educated and bright person. He doesn't deserve to be talked at in a condescending tone. So what if he doesn't fully subscribe to your views?

I agree with Doug. There's no need for ill-manners. And since this area of the forum is about 'Alternatives to the Niku Hypothesis' I would think that those 'alternatives' are appropriate subjects to discuss without sniping.
TIGHAR #4284R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 07:24:20 AM »

G. K. Chesterton said, "Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.”

We do not have a lot of facts about the fatal flight, but those at our disposal suggest to me that AE and FN flew in the general direction of Howland Island for at least 20 hours, coming closer and closer as indicated by the increase in signal strength from 1410 to 1928 (S5--maximum signal strength).

We know how much fuel AE had on board for the last flight.

We know the fuel capacity and the rate at which the plane would burn fuel under different conditions.

From these indicators, it does not seem to me to be a huge stretch to conclude that the Electra could not have flown to New Britain and crashed there after coming so close to Howland Island ("We must be on you but cannot see you").

I do not doubt that there are unidentified remains of aircraft in New Britain.

I do doubt that any of them are NR16020.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org