Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cadaver Dogs  (Read 7228 times)

Ron Taylor

• T1
Cadaver Dogs
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »

I hope you'll excuse this question which I ask in relation to an unrelated project.
If I understood correctly because of the difficulty of taking cadaver dogs to the site soil samples from known gravesites were taken to establish whether the dogs could detect based on those samples.
Have there been any results from that testing?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Cadaver Dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »

Not "cadaver dogs."  Forensic dogs (there's a difference).  This is what we reported in August:

An experiment conducted by TIGHAR archaeologist Dawn Johnson during the Niku VIII expedition could be a game-changer in the search for DNA. We have often considered using specially trained dogs to search for surviving bones at the Seven Site (aka castaway campsite), but the long sea voyage and the hostile island environment make that impractical.  So instead of bringing the dogs to the island, Dawn brought the island to the dogs.  In a carefully designed test, she collected soil samples from six known grave sites on Nikumaroro, three known non-grave sites, and four locations at the Seven Site.  Upon returning to the U.S. the samples were laid out for examination by six dog and handler teams from the Institute of Canine Forensics in Woodside, CA.   The results of the initial test, although somewhat inconclusive, suggest the presence of residual human decomposition scent at a spot at the Seven Site that matches Colonial Officer Gerald Gallagher’s description of where he found the partial skeleton in 1940 and close to where TIGHAR’s 2010 excavation found a possibly human phalange  (finger tip bone).
A second test with better controls is being scheduled for later this fall. If the second test confirms the findings we’ll know with reasonable certainty exactly where the castaway died and where to focus our search for bones or teeth that may yield DNA.  Watch for an in-depth article on this fascinating new development in the next issue of TIGHAR Tracks.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »

Not "cadaver dogs."  Forensic dogs (there's a difference).

One good article on "forensic dogs," FWIW.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Murphy

• T1
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »

A second test with better controls is being scheduled for later this fall. If the second test confirms the findings we’ll know with reasonable certainty exactly where the castaway died and where to focus our search for bones or teeth that may yield DNA.  Watch for an in-depth article on this fascinating new development in the next issue of TIGHAR Tracks.

Will the second test be conducted with the ICF in Woodside?  I live nearby and I would enjoy watching their efforts (and capturing it via photo or video if you're in need of any).

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »

Will the second test be conducted with the ICF in Woodside?  I live nearby and I would enjoy watching their efforts (and capturing it via photo or video if you're in need of any).

Yes. Thanks Chris.  That would be good.  No date has been set yet.  The dogs have been working the fires.  I'll let you know when the second test is scheduled.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org