Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Funding ideas, project approach and means of finding assistance.  (Read 49376 times)

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
Funding ideas, project approach and means of finding assistance.
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »

As  I peruse areas of the forum here and on others, it appears there may be more measures that we can persue on these subjects of external assistance, and more sources of mutual interests than may have been available in the past. I am struggling to explain what I envision, but feel there are other people and organisations that could be interested in helping TIGHAR if there was some sort of "carrot" that would also further their endeavors and investigations. Times can be tough, and money can be elusive, but with the right relationships and sharing of responsibilities, the results also can be shared. Does anybody know what I'm trying to say??
Bob S.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
Re: Funding ideas, project approach and means of finding assistance.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

Bob, yep!  I have been promoting a JV for years.
Ted Campbell

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »

Ted, the idea doesn't appear to have taken hold, has it? Is there some way to make it more palatable? It would have to be a fairly broad approach wouldn't it? It just seems that with some factions wanting to wallow in their own guano, so to speak, there are others who are screaming to be involved and to be noticed, and have the right stuff to move forward. It's a little difficult to imagine all the intricacies of a joint venture from my standpoint, as most of what I do requires only a simple organized business arrangement. I think its the "sharing" that stops many. To share the rewards means some diminishing of the  glory, but maybe at least there is more profound results overall!
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »

We have explored the possibility of a joint venture with the New England Aquarium but we've never been able to work out anything that makes sense. The recent tourist visit to Niku by Betchart Expeditions was a joint venture with TIGHAR and we may do something like that again.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »

Let's not cheapen the whole idea of the research and professionalism that has gone into the Earheart Program. I don't think now or ever is it a good time to turn it into a leisure activity or pleasure cruise for tourists! People are laughing at TIGHAR. And with all due respect for those who produced results at the last minute with ingenious use of strings and cameras on NIKU VIII. But is this what we want to be known for?
Somehow TIGHAR has become attached with an asterisk that says:"only at Nikumaroro".
We need to open up and expand on the possibilities that include not only other theories, but also other methods of persuing them. I know TIGHAR has dealt with other groups and looked at other scenarios and come to conclude the results wouldn't be what was wanted, but don't stop! certainly we must have learned from the experiences: positive and negative results are both teachers.
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »

Let's not cheapen the whole idea of the research and professionalism that has gone into the Earheart Program. I don't think now or ever is it a good time to turn it into a leisure activity or pleasure cruise for tourists! People are laughing at TIGHAR.

We'll be discussing that issue at an upcoming board of directors meeting.  I shouldn't express an opinion at this time but I would be interested to know how others feel about the issue.

And with all due respect for those who produced results at the last minute with ingenious use of strings and cameras on NIKU VIII. But is this what we want to be known for?

The difficulties with the ROV had nothing to do with the tourist cruise.

Somehow TIGHAR has become attached with an asterisk that says:"only at Nikumaroro".
We need to open up and expand on the possibilities that include not only other theories, but also other methods of persuing them.

I think you mean pursuing.  We have carefully considered other theories and find nothing to support them.

I know TIGHAR has dealt with other groups and looked at other scenarios and come to conclude the results wouldn't be what was wanted, but don't stop! certainly we must have learned from the experiences: positive and negative results are both teachers.

I don't know what you mean when you say "the results wouldn't be what was wanted."  The only thing we want is intelligent investigation that follows scientific principles.  The results are whatever they are. 

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »

You have my vote for NOT providing pleasure cruises to the island, at least until after the solving of the original presumption. Mixing these sort of activities confuses people as to what is the real intent. (Is this a research or cruise company we are running?) I doubt if cruises qualify for non profit activities!? And it dilutes the true meaning of "research".
Bob S.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 02:06:02 PM »

I know the cruise idea had nothing to do with the ROV failure, or on second thought, did it? Could more thought have gone in to providing contingencies if there had been more time to arrange for them?
Bob S.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »

"results wouldn't be what was wanted" was probably poor wording on my part, sorry. I don't believe we can pre-suppose any results before they are researched thoroughly, but we do have an agenda here, no?
Then, too, we can investigate intelligently following scientific principles only if we follow scientific principles, such as keeping inexperienced, unprepared people off the island who might tend to litter, take off their shoes, or all other sorts of activities when its  110 deg in the shade and don't know how to deal with uncomfortable situations and still maintain scientific principals! My hat is off to you for putting up with some things not immediately obvious to others! (fill in the blanks) My suggestion remains, downward and onward...
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 02:40:11 PM »

I know the cruise idea had nothing to do with the ROV failure, or on second thought, did it? Could more thought have gone in to providing contingencies if there had been more time to arrange for them?

The tourist cruise did not take up any of my time.  Our Senior Archaeologist handled all the liaison with Betchart Expeditions and arranged for the TIGHAR staff that accompanied him on the cruise.  I had very little to do with it.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »

"results wouldn't be what was wanted" was probably poor wording on my part, sorry. I don't believe we can pre-suppose any results before they are researched thoroughly, but we do have an agenda here, no?

No.  We are testing a hypothesis, not promoting an agenda.  A lawyer in a courtroom has an agenda, to defend or prosecute.  He/she can and should pick and choose the evidence that will best argue his/her case.  We are not looking for victory, we're looking for truth.  We have to evaluate ALL the evidence.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 03:45:53 PM »

"The tourist cruise did not take up any of my time.  Our Senior Archaeologist handled all the liaison with Betchart Expeditions and arranged for the TIGHAR staff that accompanied him on the cruise.  I had very little to do with it. "

But who's running this airline?
Bob S.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »

Im going to have to vote "no" to the full-on "tourist attraction" thing, too. Set aside the fact that PIPA would probably never authorize it, tourists are dirty, messy, destructive creatures.  Niku would wind up looking like Fort Lauderdale beach.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 06:50:11 PM »

"The tourist cruise did not take up any of my time.  Our Senior Archaeologist handled all the liaison with Betchart Expeditions and arranged for the TIGHAR staff that accompanied him on the cruise.  I had very little to do with it. "

But who's running this airline?

This has been a most bizarre conversation.

Bob: "TIGHAR should engage in joint ventures."

Ric: "We did engage in a joint venture."

Bob: "That is probably why the underwater search failed."

Ric: "No, the joint venture did not keep me from doing everything I could to make the search succeed."

Bob: "If you're in charge, you should make sure that the joint venture keeps you from giving the primary mission the attention it needs."

::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Joshua Doremire

• T1
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »

If tourists want to visit a extreme heat warning hot, humid, smelly, and hazardous island out literally in the middle of nowhere I say let them at it. The way the tour had a guide is respectable. It's possible a tourist could trip over 'the smoking gun' and looks like a visiting diver nearly did so in the past. 

Fort Lauderdale Beach is an apples to oranges comparison as the weather is better and it's way more accessible and completely uncontrolled. It also doesn't have an abandoned ship falling/rusting apart all over the place on it. 

I have suggested the Ham Radio operator on land post card would be a awesome fund raiser. Hopefully this can be carried out on the next visit. It's popularity last time was extreme.   
TIGHAR # 4274R

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org