Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who moderates the moderator?  (Read 24680 times)

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Who moderates the moderator?
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »

Well  >:(

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Who moderates the moderator?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:24:18 PM »

There are five administrators including two members of the board of directors. Each of us has equal authority and can act independently to enforce the Forum rules. In practice, we discuss and reach a consensus before taking actions such as putting someone on moderation or banning them outright.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »

Pah and the board members are?

Myself and Russ Matthews.

Please translate "Pah."

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »

Chris, the moderators are presumed to be trustworthy people who need no one to moderate them.

Sort of like Queen Elizabeth II is not required to have a driver's license like all of her subjects must have.

LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 05:16:41 PM »

the usage may be lost on you ;)

Not at all.  Just wanted to be sure you intended to convey "contempt" and "disgust" toward my reply to your question. 

drriddle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

This is a private board, run by TIGHAR, so TIGHAR gets to make the rules about how it functions, including moderation.  A lot of people don't understand that point...the First Amendment has to do with the government imposing censorship, it does not stop private entities from moderating speech if they choose.  And, even the First Amendment has legally defined limits, as you can't just say whatever you want at any time and get away without consequences.

Dr. Reed L. Riddle

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »

I think it is a mistake to believe that people don't 'get it' about how TIGHAR's forum is run and may be run according to law -

'Freedom of speech' is never a right in the corporate venue, that is not the question.  Corporate censorship is frequently imposed in private venues, such as vigorously at TIGHAR, including the occasional application of damnatio memoriae to make it as if certain things never appeared.  Fortunately or not, however, our modern internet has a means of rendering that particular effort moot for those who know how to use 'way back', etc.

The question is one of fairness to the representation that what TIGHAR runs here is a reasonably open forum for science-based debate, and who gets to make that decision.  One supposes that is in the eye of the beholder (whether reasonably open and science-based) whereas who gets to censor is without question: emphatically, without apology, always the 'owner', whose administrators serve to the letter by all I can tell.

Chris' alluding to the U.S. Constitution doesn't tell me he believes we have an absolute right here; knowing Chris, I admire the spirit of the example which is more nearly, I believe, a pointing to an ideal we should all strive for - especially when we claim to be open.

As to whether TIGHAR's own censorship (that is what it is whenever this sort of control is imposed) is good or bad is a matter for the beholder to decide for himself: an even greater tenet of the U.S. Constitution is that we live under a body of laws that provide for freedom of choice among our corporate populace - we can take or leave an organization and any or all that it has to say. 

How a corporate entity censors is also something said.  The readership is what it is: if it is largely non-members, then we have little assurance that they are more than curiosity seekers.

Now I - an onlooker, will note how TIGHAR responds to this - will it be censored in part or in whole, or allowed to print as it is, for my voice to be considered as wise or folly by the onlooker?  The measure of risk TIGHAR decides to take in doing so - or not doing so, tells the onlooker something of the character of the censor. 

Interesting discussion, thanks Chris!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:55:11 PM by J. Neville »

Neff Jacobs

• T2
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »

The moderator is ultimately moderated by people voting with their feet.   Here is a list of the top 10 Tighar posters of all time.
Ric Gillespie                 4226      Still active *
Martin X. Moleski, SJ    2625     Still Active *
Chris Johnson              1812      Still Active
Gary LaPook                1624      Banned
richie conroy                 1412      Last Active 7-31-15
Jeff Victor Hayden         1387      Last Active  12-23-14
Monty Fowler                926        Apparently Unhappy
Tom Swearengen          818        Last Active 6-14-13
Tim Mellon                    805        Banned
J. Neville                       780        Apparently Unhappy

*Ric and Martin are both among other things moderators.
Of the eight non-moderator top ten only Chris Johnson is still a regular contributor to the forum.
Monty and Jeff are welcome correct me if they choose.

And then there are the little things like refusing to answer civil questions from Monty and creating Neville's Notions,  not to mention completely belittling newbees rather than  simply point them to forum threads or other information.

So Moderate, Ban, refuse to answer, belittle all you please and then wonder why the question were did all the intelligent discussion and debate go.

And that folks is how the moderator gets moderated.
Neff

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »

Gotta Love It !! Ain't it something???
Bob S.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »

This is a private board, run by TIGHAR, so TIGHAR gets to make the rules about how it functions, including moderation.  A lot of people don't understand that point...

While I accept everything Dr. Riddle says, I find the overall tone regrettable and not conductive to the open and honest debate and spirited discussion that lead to an increase in our body of knowledge about Earhart and Noonan's fate.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »

I find the overall tone regrettable and not conductive to the open and honest debate and spirited discussion that lead to an increase in our body of knowledge about Earhart and Noonan's fate.

I too find the recent overall tone regrettable and I'm eager to return to increasing in our body of knowledge about Earhart and Noonan's fate.

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »

Maybe we could increase that body of knowledge by hiring someone to further evaluate all of the sonar data? Perhaps a new anomaly would appear to replace the Conroy Anomaly that wasn't.

LTM,

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »

Maybe we could increase that body of knowledge by hiring someone to further evaluate all of the sonar data? Perhaps a new anomaly would appear to replace the Conroy Anomaly that wasn't.

Yes, that definitely needs doing. It's primarily a matter of figuring out who should do it, what it will cost, and where we'd find the funding.  When I get a minute I'll post the imagery of the sonar targets we have from the 2012 survey. All of the ones we investigated with the ROV turned out to be coral, but  we only looked at a handful of them due to time and depth constraints. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »

A targeted fundraising campaign and a widely-issued request for proposals from that industry might garner the kind of interest this particular effort needs. If we're really lucky a well-qualified company will take it on for the feel-good publicity it would generate. But first they have to know about it.

LTM,

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org