Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fred Noonan, Chicago Tribune article (November 4, 1937)  (Read 6833 times)

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
Fred Noonan, Chicago Tribune article (November 4, 1937)
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:48:19 PM »

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1937/11/04/#page/4/article/king-cobra-the-deadliest-of-snakes-arrives-at-zoo

Fred Noonan apparently had a cousin named Richard Piper. In 1937, Piper and his wife Agnes lived at 8006 Hermitage avenue in Chicago. The above article states the Pipers provided information about Noonan to his widow. However, it also states Mrs. Piper was given Mrs. Noonan's address in Jackson, MS.

It looks like someone made a mistake and gave Mrs. Piper the address of the EX-Mrs. Noonan!

I found Agnes and Richard Piper in the 1940 Census, along with their daughter Marcella and her husband Oscar Nelson. Is this worth pursuing or is the Piper/Nelson clan a dead end?

Several years ago didn't someone find a Noonan cousin who wasn't from the female line? Was that Richard Piper?

Karen Hoy #2610 CR

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
Re: Fred Noonan, Chicago Tribune article (November 4, 1937)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »

Karen, I had occasion to meet a Noonan who's first name was Fred! Although this probably is not the same Fred Noonan so popular on this site,you never know. It was in a rather personal and business type connection, so I don't know how much I can post, but I will look back in my records from many years ago and see if it is a relative subject.
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »

I found Agnes and Richard Piper in the 1940 Census, along with their daughter Marcella and her husband Oscar Nelson. Is this worth pursuing or is the Piper/Nelson clan a dead end?

Richard Piper's descendants would be of no use in getting Noonan mitochondrial DNA. MtDNA is passed only through the female line.

Several years ago didn't someone find a Noonan cousin who wasn't from the female line? Was that Richard Piper?

That guy's name was Groff.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 04:26:57 PM »

Haven't found the info yet, but had fun looking through the old ads in the Tribune!
Bob S.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org