Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: View Nikumaroro aerial imagery on line  (Read 41892 times)

Alan Williams

• inactive
View Nikumaroro aerial imagery on line
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:49:57 PM »

For any who might be interested it is possible to easily view Nikumaroro aerial imagery on line.

Certainly better resources exist but Google effortlessly offers enough quality and resolution to fire the imagination looking around to see where our lost crew might have landed and looked for food and water and shelter and might have stood waiting/hoping for a rescue ship on the horizon. Just go to http://maps.google.com/ and start a map search for nikumar..... and then select the offering of "Nikumaroro Island, Kiribati". On the upper right of the map select "Satellite", then zoom in and look around.

(I see the wreck of the SS NC is disintegrated enough as to not be readily apparent [confirmed from recent expedition photos?], unless it can be pointed out under a wisp of cloud and Seven Site appears to be identifiable)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:12:56 AM by Alan Williams »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: View Nikumaroro aerial imagery on line
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 04:45:31 AM »

(I see the wreck of the SS NC is disintegrated enough as to not be readily apparent [confirmed from recent expedition photos?], unless it can be pointed out under a wisp of cloud and Seven Site appears to be identifiable)

Norwich City is still there but now reduced to the huge triple-expansion stem engine and the base of the hull.  A scatter of wreckage extends southeastward across the reef-flat.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »

For any who might be interested it is possible to easily view Nikumaroro aerial imagery on line.

Certainly better resources exist but Google effortlessly offers enough quality and resolution to fire the imagination looking around to see where our lost crew might have landed and looked for food and water and shelter and might have stood waiting/hoping for a rescue ship on the horizon. Just go to http://maps.google.com/ and start a map search for nikumar..... and then select the offering of "Nikumaroro Island, Kiribati". On the upper right of the map select "Satellite", then zoom in and look around.

I think it is at 4°39'39.42"S 174°32'43.69"W in Google earth.  Under the cloud, but sticking out from the edge of the reef.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »

Hello,
On Google Earth. at 4.41.11.74 S - 174.29.50.61 W, elevation 4 m, I have the impression of seeing some sort of a triangular feature. Settlement remains ? Or optical illusion ?

Rudolf.
Tenno heika banzai.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »

On Google Earth. at 4.41.11.74 S - 174.29.50.61 W, elevation 4 m, I have the impression of seeing some sort of a triangular feature. Settlement remains ? Or optical illusion ?

I see the "triangle" along the shoreline, too--at 4°41'11.74"S 174°29'50.61"W.  It is strange and not far from the 7 site (4°41'8.36"S  174°29'47.31"W).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Erik

• T3
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »

Interesting Rudolf...

Click HERE for easy google map view

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »

Click HERE for easy google map view

Much easier!

This view shows the relationship between the triangle and the seven site.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »

Hi again.

Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes.

Does anyone else see something strange in the lagoon at 4.40.01.23 S - 174.31.44.23 W. Eye altitude 282 m.

I admit I had a glass of rum.

Rudolf.

Tenno heika banzai.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »

Does anyone else see something strange in the lagoon at 4.40.01.23 S - 174.31.44.23 W. Eye altitude 282 m.

Here is the easy view for those coordinates.

That area has been discussed.  There is nothing man-made there.  That may be true of the "triangle," too--just "artifacts" introduced into the picture by the vagaries of digital imaging.  Similarly, it seemed to some that there was an "ELP" visible in the slough near the Coast Guard station.  It's clearer in Google Maps at -4.6937396,-174.49409.  You also have to rotate it so you're viewing it from the north.  

Also just a digital "artifact."

I suppose I should start a photo gallery and FAQ.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:45:30 PM by moleski »
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:51:23 PM »

Thought so.

Rudolf.
Tenno heika banzai.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »

... I suppose I should start a photo gallery and FAQ.

I have started the photo gallery for "unusual Google Earth sightings."

It's just a start.  I know that there was at least one other discovery--the underwater resting place of the airplane in the lagoon.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »

I thought it would be a fun exercise to recreate the 1937 Lambrecht photo using Google Earth.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to change the default camera perspective used by Google Earth to match the lens used by the camera that took the Lambrecht photo.  So this means that there are differences in perspective, but it's still interesting to figure out the true compass heading from the photo and get a rough estimate of altitude.  It looks like around 1000 feet seems to match the photo the best.  It might be of interest to others, is there a way to upload the photo?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »

... is there a way to upload the photo?

Google Earth lets you capture the image.

Edit / Copy image

Then import the clipboard into your favorite editor.  I use XnView and Gimp mostly;
sometimes Inkscape.

Upload the edited image to your favorite photo bin.  I use Picasa.  Many others
are available.

Here comes the tricky part: Right-click on the image and view it all by itself.
That will give you a URL directly and only to the image.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vZ4A06KI5BY/SW6hig3lZxI/AAAAAAAAFGs/7E_M2GYvUVY/s640/P1010054.JPG

Then put the URL between image tags:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vZ4A06KI5BY/SW6hig3lZxI/AAAAAAAAFGs/7E_M2GYvUVY/s640/P1010054.JPG[/img]

If all goes well, people will see what you've done.

Short tutorial on including images in posts.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:36:01 PM by moleski »

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »

Thanks Marty.  Some forum's allow images to be uploaded directly rather than linked to, but I'll upload it to Picasa and then post a link.

Mark Petersen

• T3
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »

Bill, you could be right but it's hard to say.  At 2000+ feet the foreground (south-eastern shore of Niku) is a better fit to the photo, but the part of Niku in the distance (Tatiman Passage and North-Western part of the lagoon) looks more accurate to my eyes when I used 1000 ft.  I was never able to get the foreground and background details to match to any elevation which is why I think the focal length of the camera in the Lambrecht photo doesn't match whatever default settings are used by Google Earth.  In the end I used what looked to be the best elevation to match the distant part of the Lagoon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:49:51 PM by Mark Petersen »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org