Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: "We're on Gardner Island. Gardner, Gardner, Gardner!"  (Read 60199 times)

Craig Romig

• T3
Re: "We're on Gardner Island. Gardner, Gardner, Gardner!"
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2015, 01:55:04 AM »

Ted. This is the first I have read about Dana Randolf. I know sometime in my life. I heard of ship on reef etc. Where can I read about this? I did a search and it only came up with betty's notebook threads and posts.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2015, 05:47:05 AM »

Ted. This is the first I have read about Dana Randolf. I know sometime in my life. I heard of ship on reef etc. Where can I read about this? I did a search and it only came up with betty's notebook threads and posts.

At the top of every page of the Forum, there is a tab called "Search TIGHAR."

Inside the page to which the tab leads is a special Google Search box for the TIGHAR website.

If you put "Dana Randolph" in the special TIGHAR Google Search box, you get 79 results.

All of those results are references to "Dana Randolph" on the TIGHAR website.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:53:07 AM by Martin X. Moleski, SJ »

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2015, 12:57:58 AM »

How does one go off into the night, searching for a sliver of land that means your life, without knowing how to use or verifying the reliability of the one piece of equipment that is essential for finding that sliver of land?  How does one set off to fly around the world in 1937 without knowing Morse code? Neither is rational and yet we know she did both. 

I agree 100%,.....I believe when asked a similar question by someone , she responded " Why do I need those things? I have a navigator" ....or something to that effect.
It seems Amelia, was very fond of map H.O. 5192, I already attached a few images of this map in my preceding post,....here she is with another one; http://earchives.lib.purdue.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/earhart/id/221/rec/684
This one seems the clearest, and one can make out various cities in the legend.
That makes at least three times she posed with that particular map, and seem to show the Phoenix group. Here is another version; http://www.wdl.org/en/item/6776/
Ric,
You posted this in late August-

http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,1728.msg38138.html#msg38138

"...Fred did not plot routes all across the Pacific.  Fred worked only for Pan Am and only on the route across the North Pacific.  His experience as a mariner was confined to the Atlantic and South America.

Quote from: Bob Smith on August 26, 2015, 04:39:37 PM
Even if officially accurate charts were not yet available, wouldn't somebody like Fred have to know where the islands were and their proximity to each other?

No.  Officially accurate charts almost certainly were available. The charts he needed were the charts that covered his proposed route.
-------------------------------------------------
Ric,
Most of the charts actually used to plot the route around the world were probably ordered directly from the "General Catalogue of Mariners' and Aviators' Charts, Corrected to January 1935  U.S. Hydrographic Office"

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31822008699613;view=1up;seq=166

The H.O. chart that depicts Howland Island in large scale, and in the greatest detail- No. 1198-  is listed
under the heading- "Islands Northwest of Phoenix Islands."

http://i.imgur.com/1qBOLvD.png
 20 cents !...mark that a bargain

Another item;  A bit before the Earhart lifeoff from lae, there was an expedition to study the solar eclipse at canton island;
This article;
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/seri/PA.../0045//0000253.000.html
It has been covered here on Tighar before as well ; http://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,360.0.html  ....one wonders how much Amelia and Fred knew about the group and their activities on Canton?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:07:24 AM by Jerry Germann »

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2015, 12:58:40 AM »

At the top of every page of the Forum, there is a tab called "Search TIGHAR."

Inside the page to which the tab leads is a special Google Search box for the TIGHAR website.

If you put "Dana Randolph" in the special TIGHAR Google Search box, you get 79 results.

All of those results are references to "Dana Randolph" on the TIGHAR website.

I was spelling it wrong.

Ted had mentioned recordings. That is what I wad asking about finding out about. It does seem there may not actually be any recording though.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2015, 05:58:04 AM »

I was spelling it wrong.

Ah.

BTDT, got the scars to prove it.

Ted had mentioned recordings. That is what I wad asking about finding out about. It does seem there may not actually be any recording though.

Ted did not mention "recordings."  He called the reports from various and sundry listeners "hearings":

"...  Six years later, on July 4, 1937, 16 year-old Rock Springs resident Dana Randolph picked up her distress call on his home shortwave set.  “This is Amelia Earhart.  Ship on reef southeast of Howland.”  Dana reportedly hollered to his father in the kitchen, “Hey Paw!  I got Miss Earhart!” The Randolph family were African American."

These “location hearings” all give weight to the TIGHAR hypothesis of Niku being the place of landing.

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2015, 06:45:00 AM »

All,

To add to Scott C. Mitchell’s points in his post no. 46 is the following quote from Ric’s post no. 1 under “Can’t help but wonder”;

"That’s the Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogyro AE flew across the country in May/June 1931.  Six years later, on July 4, 1937, 16 year-old Rock Springs resident Dana Randolph picked up her distress call on his home shortwave set.  “This is Amelia Earhart.  Ship on reef southeast of Howland.”  Dana reportedly hollered to his father in the kitchen, “Hey Paw!  I got Miss Earhart!” The Randolph family were African American."

I wonder if Dana and/or his father went to the airfield to see Amelia when she came through in 1931.  The guy on the extreme left in the photo could be African American."

It seems that AE did not know the name of the island.  However, if Dana Randolph’s recorded transmission is accurate AE describes her location rather accurately – “ship on reef southeast of Howland”, the “281 message” (north to Howland), “figure 8 island”, etc.

These “location hearings” all give weight to the TIGHAR hypothesis of Niku being the place of landing.

Ted Campbell

Marty, I think that Craig's question comes from a misinterpretation of a phrase elsewhere in Ted's post.

Craig, "recorded" in this case merely means that Dana Randolph's report of hearing something was written down ("recorded") in a newspaper ... Not that what he heard on his radio was saved on some kind of electronic device.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2015, 06:59:33 AM »

Marty, I think that Craig's question comes from a misinterpretation of a phrase elsewhere in Ted's post.

Craig, "recorded" in this case merely means that Dana Randolph's report of hearing something was written down ("recorded") in a newspaper ... Not that what he heard on his radio was saved on some kind of electronic device.

Thanks, Bruce!

That does make sense.   :)

I was searching the thread for "recording."   ::)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Craig Romig

• T3
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:40 AM »

Yes it was the recorded statement.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org