Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROVs and GPS  (Read 55720 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: ROVs and GPS
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2015, 06:38:26 AM »

Amazing behaviors, he said...

Here's one possibility -

Tie a heavy weight to the ROV, lower it rapidly and cut the tether as it pays out...

Of course that would mean two less auxiliary anchors aboard for emergencies.  Might feel pretty good though.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:44:07 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

jgf1944

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 09:07:17 AM »

Tie a heavy weight to the ROV, lower it rapidly and cut the tether as it pays out...
    A needed LOL. Thanks.
jgf

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »

Isn't it against the Geneva Conventions to shoot the wounded?

But Niku isn't Geneva, so ...

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »

talked to Pat three or four days ago and she told me that they have enough ROV spare parts to practically build another ROV so I'm really suprised at this.

Bob

Well apparently they didn't feel the need to include a new motherboard - damn the bad luck!

I suspect--without having any proof to back it up--that they don't have a Seabotix employee on board who could swap motherboards inside the ROV.

I've built a lot of computers in my day (I'm using one of my homebrews as I write this), and I know a lot of what it is like to take them apart and put them back together.  Odds are that it is not a job for amateurs, and it is conceivable to me that TIGHAR couldn't afford to take a pro with them.

Nothing but a mere guess but I would think that with the cadre of talent on the expo that they could've muddled through a motherboard swap if a spare was available.  I build, repair, upgrade, and configure computers for a living and to this day I sometimes make drawings, take pictures, or do whatever is needed to aid in reassembly of unfamiliar equipment.

BTW:  It was noted that the ROV contractor is Advanced Remote Marine Services.  The onus for the spares would be on their back not Seabotix the manufacturer.  Lets just hope that what they have left is enough for the task of at least getting something definitive on the anomoly.

LTM,

Don 

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »

Nothing but a mere guess but I would think that with the cadre of talent on the expo that they could've muddled through a motherboard swap if a spare was available.  I build, repair, upgrade, and configure computers for a living and to this day I sometimes make drawings, take pictures, or do whatever is needed to aid in reassembly of unfamiliar equipment.

Understood.

If I was there and had a spare, and there was no one else available, I'd attempt it.

Note that the original motherboard seems to have blown up from a "power surge" while someone was working on something.  It may be that someone onboard made a mistake and was hot-swapping some components.  BTDT, paid for the damage.

BTW:  It was noted that the ROV contractor is Advanced Remote Marine Services.  The onus for the spares would be on their back not Seabotix the manufacturer.

Thanks for pointing that out.  It is a very important distinction.  My bad for taking Seabotix' name in vain.   :(
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Brad Mackey

• T1
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »

Love the subtleties in the update.  One can't be too careful in exclaiming partial victory. I'm hoping my analysis is correct and they found the plane.

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 04:16:46 PM »

Love the subtleties in the update.  One can't be too careful in exclaiming partial victory. I'm hoping my analysis is correct and they found the plane.

I didn't quite reach that conclusion from the report, but I'm hoping for the best.  Something more than interesting shapes.  Im rooting for little to no coral growth on this anomaly...

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 10:08:16 PM »

[As we wait for more details] ... this is insane... how did they lower a line 200 meters down and know (or believe) that the end of the line was over the anomaly? Would there not be drift or currents that will blindly offset the bottom of the line?  Did they have a GPS unit rigged to the cameras too? So many questions.  This is coming from someone without diving or underwater experience, so please correct me if there are ways to control the descent and location of the rig. 
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2015, 12:54:58 AM »

Well, it's hard to imagine they were able to "find" the "anomaly" without ROV...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:56:59 AM by Oskar Erich Heinrich Haberlandt »

jgf1944

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2015, 07:36:01 AM »

Despite the prevailing north to south current, has any Norwich City debris ever been seen north of the wreck?
jgf

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 07:41:51 AM »

Despite the prevailing north to south current, has any Norwich City debris ever been seen north of the wreck?
jgf

From the Week 2 dailies for this expedition:

"Yesterday the dive team found some Norwich City debris north of the shipwreck. This was quite surprising as the current goes the other way, and may cause us to revise some others of our hypotheses. They will keep working along their lines and see what is to be seen. Some time today a map will be generated using the GPS system aboard Nai’a which can be matched with the grid map; I hope to have this to post tomorrow to show their progress."

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »

Hitchcock would be proud.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »

Lets just hope that what they have left is enough for the task of at least getting something definitive on the anomoly.

Gotta love the TIGHAR spirit and ingenouity.  Bolt everything together and pitch it overboard.   :o

After all the ROV drama it sounds like their last ditch effort returned results.  To you intrepid explorers, I give a standing ovation.

LTM,
Don
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:21:09 AM by Don Dollinger »

JNev

• T5
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2015, 08:25:55 AM »

Lets just hope that what they have left is enough for the task of at least getting something definitive on the anomoly.

Gotta love the TIGHAR spirit and ingenouity.  Bolt everything together and pitch it overboard.   :o

After all the ROV drama it sounds like their last ditch effort returned results.  To you intrepid explorers, I give a standing ovation.

LTM,
Don

There is something to that, fascinating.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org