Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ROVs and GPS  (Read 55732 times)

jgf1944

Re: ROVs and GPS
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »

This from today's (23 June) Niku dispatch: "Meanwhile, the team is working on hanging all the hardware onto the Seabotix ROV and lowering it down to the anomaly: cameras, laser scale, GPS, everything. The motherboard for one of the onboard computers seems to be bad, and there is still a chance the unit can be made fully functional, but this is the next best thing."
    I understand the continuing effort to make right the Seabotix problems. What is confusing to me is the final clause: this is the next best thing. What is "this"?  The "hanging all" of all the hardware in anticipation of the anomaly dive?
Thanx for a comeback, jgf

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »

This from today's (23 June) Niku dispatch: "Meanwhile, the team is working on hanging all the hardware onto the Seabotix ROV and lowering it down to the anomaly: cameras, laser scale, GPS, everything. The motherboard for one of the onboard computers seems to be bad, and there is still a chance the unit can be made fully functional, but this is the next best thing."
    I understand the continuing effort to make right the Seabotix problems. What is confusing to me is the final clause: this is the next best thing. What is "this"?  The "hanging all" of all the hardware in anticipation of the anomaly dive?
Thanx for a comeback, jgf

I worked for a time as a Field Engineer and we carried at least one of each part that could even remotely go bad.  Being in the field (the key word being "field") whether installing new equipment, testing, or repairing installed equipment, you can't just run down to the local computer repair shop for spare parts.  That was the SOP.

I wouldn't even attempt to guess the $$$ they are paying to rent the ROV, you would think that Seabotix would be proactive enough to have a similar repair kit that would go with the ROV just for such incidence as this.

LTM,
Don

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »

Does seem that one lesson that ought to be learned is to vet any supplier to the hilt for that level of back-up discipline, Don.  More than being a demanding environment, it really appears that the challenge of Niku is remoteness.

It might prove hard for Seabotix to live down the image of their ROV being used as a sinker for a bottom fishing rig...

Here's hoping Nai'a doesn't cut the tether due to maneuvering challenges.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

...then again, maybe all that stuff is secondary after all - looks like the serious business is yet to come (and apparently Niku IX is already on the horizon).
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 03:21:01 PM »

wat they need to do is drop rov 500m then attach anchor to drop it rest of the way to give it that bit ov steadiness

every time they have sent a rov down they have had problems so why did they go without a back up or spare parts  ???
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 03:48:22 PM »

I recall some mention of gym and excercise equipment being onboard for the athletes in the team. Maybe they didn't have room!!!
Bob S.

Bob Harmon

• T1
  • TIGHAR #4294R
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »

wat they need to do is drop rov 500m then attach anchor to drop it rest of the way to give it that bit ov steadiness
every time they have sent a rov down they have had problems so why did they go without a back up or spare parts  ???
I wouldn't even attempt to guess the $$$ they are paying to rent the ROV, you would think that Seabotix would be proactive enough to have a similar repair kit that would go with the ROV just for such incidence as this.
I talked to Pat three or four days ago and she told me that they have enough ROV spare parts to practically build another ROV so I'm really suprised at this.

Bob

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »

It might prove hard for Seabotix to live down the image of their ROV being used as a sinker for a bottom fishing rig...

Seems to me this is on the ROV contractor, Advanced Remote Marine Services, not Seabotix the manufacturer.  Of their three vehicles did they elect to deploy the first string unit or third?   

http://advancedremotemarineservices.com/offshorerovservices/

jgf1944

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 05:34:22 PM »

Ah, now I think I understand, presumably with tongue in cheek? how Seabotix might still find an application.
All Best to all doing the repair work. Great challenges are a source of amazing behaviors.
jgf

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »

I worked for a time as a Field Engineer and we carried at least one of each part that could even remotely go bad.  Being in the field (the key word being "field") whether installing new equipment, testing, or repairing installed equipment, you can't just run down to the local computer repair shop for spare parts.  That was the SOP.

I suspect--without having any proof to back it up--that they don't have a Seabotix employee on board who could swap motherboards inside the ROV.

I've built a lot of computers in my day (I'm using one of my homebrews as I write this), and I know a lot of what it is like to take them apart and put them back together.  Odds are that it is not a job for amateurs, and it is conceivable to me that TIGHAR couldn't afford to take a pro with them.

I've only blown up one (1) motherboard, so far, but it was quite a lesson to me.  The shop very kindly replaced it with a different brand and did not inquire too closely into the failure mode.  I didn't exactly lie to them, but I did pretty much withhold some painful truths from them.   :-[
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »

The thing about  motherboards, as I recall, is that a lot of other stuff is connected to it and by the time you're done replaceing it, it seems like you should have put together a new computer. I think if they are smart enough to know its the motherboard, they should be OK at replacing it. I suspition they didn't really have another motherboard.
Bob S.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »

The thing about  motherboards, as I recall, is that a lot of other stuff is connected to it and by the time you're done replaceing it, it seems like you should have put together a new computer. I think if they are smart enough to know its the motherboard, they should be OK at replacing it. I suspition they didn't really have another motherboard.

I know that our Nissan Sentra has a leak in or near the driver's side B pillar. 

I turned it over to our dealer anyway. 

It doesn't take a whole lot to know that something bad has gone wrong with a motherboard.  Unplugging everything and plugging it all back in is, in my experience, a different kettle of fish.   8)
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Eddie Rose

• T1
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 07:12:31 PM »

Does anyone know if it was working before they left?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »

Does anyone know if it was working before they left?

I think the answer is "yes, it was working."

Today's daily says:

"The motherboard is toast. Apparently a power surge occurring during the course of the repairs killed it. It is now rigged with all the gear and functioning as a sled for instrumentation and cameras. Nai’a can take station over the anomaly and hold with her engine – necessary because the wind has dropped off and will no longer hold her out against the moorings. We should get the coverage we need, although there are variables that can’t be controlled. The dive team will support this work today as their formal mission is finished."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 09:34:54 PM »

In Kansas when we go fishing for something...we find the murkiest pond we can find and use the heaviest weight to lure the big catch. I agree with Richie...you need to attach a heavy weight of some sorts to the ROV and drop it down. This way its a steady drop instead of all over the place. I firmly believe that Ric won't leave Niku without having some sort of evidence of pictures or whatever in his hands. Its best we do this for everyone. I don't know bout you guys but I'm on pins and needles since this expedition started. Heck I've already lost a week's worth of nights sleep due to listening to transmissions from Niku. But, its been fun and educational. I think the team needs a big break on the last day. Kinda of like the big shot in the Final Four game. Seconds are winding down....we call a timeout...regroup...and go for the big shot!!! You can do it guys!!!! Good Luck and God Bless!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org