Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ROVs and GPS  (Read 55731 times)

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
Re: ROVs and GPS
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »

I think every one agrees that the success we are all looking for is still lacking, more effort on a larger scale, or a different scenario, is needed to attain that success. The amount of success that has been attained is probably directly proportional to the amount of effort afforded at this point. Therefore, I,as you and many others will probably agree, More effort would lead to more success, and our goals should perhaps be set higher. If we determine that the success of the overall mission to find real evidence of Amelia being on the island of Nikumaroro, depends on finding articles we can prove are directly related to her, we aren't there yet. The effort used to find the articles we have found is extraordinary compared to efforts of others, perhaps. But the articles found are not really extraordinary proof (yet.) We may need to shift that effort to other areas, other depths, other landscapes. Enough said for now, but I think we have reached the "spinning wheels" stage and need to change something. Maybe not.
Bob S.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 09:48:03 AM »

I think every one agrees that the success we are all looking for is still lacking, more effort on a larger scale, or a different scenario, is needed to attain that success.

A possible plan for the expedition had to be scrapped because of lack of funds, if I'm not mistaken.

There was a research ship available for a short time, but TIGHAR was unable to raise the money necessary to secure its services.

Hence, plan B, which may still be underway ...
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »

We all know that the ROV is key to the success of this venture and if it isn't going to happen - abort, save the money and regroup.
Ted Campbell

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 11:52:48 AM »

We all know that the ROV is key to the success of this venture and if it isn't going to happen - abort, save the money and regroup.
Ted Campbell

I suspect that all of the transportation costs are gone--nothing to save there.

I don't know what kind of refunds they can get from Seabotix.  I haven't seen--and won't see--any of the contracts.  Way above my pay grade.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »

I thought investigating the Glickman debris field was reason enough for the expedition to begin with.
If they find parts of the  landing gear or any Electra part in the Glickman debris field, then wouldn’t the expedition be a huge success? I think so.
There are a least 3 possible ways to investigate the debris field. Scuba Diver,  the Seabotix ROV and the smaller ROV.
If the Seabotix ROV is not operable, then there are still two investigative methods left. I’m glad two weeks were funded instead of one.
3971R

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:13:26 PM by Greg Daspit »

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »

And then there's talk of lowering the crippled Seabotix ROV to the anomaly, using it's own weight and attaching all peripheral gear (HD cam/laser scaler, etc.).  I wonder what kind of an undertaking that would be, assuming all the equipment works.  Can it just be lowered straight down or are there underwater currents to battle and mathematics to consider to home in on the target with precision.  That would be an amazing accomplishment if it works.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 07:16:08 PM »

Oh I don't know, I try to believe in one or two impossible things every day. Comes from working in research administration.   ;D

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Rob Seasock

• T2
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »

Sounds like it is being rigged as a drop camera. At 600' there will only be control of height off the seabed, lateral control will only be by movement of the ROV support boat.  The more weight rigged to it the less it will off set in the current.  It could easily become fouled in slope of the drop off never to see the light of day again which in my opinion is the very best place for it.   >:(

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »

I must have jiggled somebodies bobber with one of my posts. An advocate of one of the other "Amelia" sites contacted me and became rather nasty in his performance to get me to the other site. After he refered to me as an "uninformed newbie" (which  I am) I decided if he was somebody from North Dakota who knew how to raise cows he couldn't be all bad. So I checked out some articles which I'm sure some of you are familiar with, and decided they could use a little "extraordinary proof" Jeffrey, and I hope they find some because they'll have a hard time with the success end of it in any case.
That would be some heck of a tail wind they would have encountered if it got them to New Britain, wherever it is!
The point is with all the places between Lae and Howland, you could pick any where and decide this was the place Amelia landed, make up a story, verify it with assumptions and quotes from people long dead, but who "were there" and you've got a fundable product!
I think I'll stick with Ric and the crew. They've got the extraordinary courage  and determination that will get us somewhere, and nobody has provided proof they are wrong.
Bob S.

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 10:46:06 PM »

Hey guys!!! I'm rather puzzled here in regards to the recent set of dives. Help me out and refresh my memory...but how far down is the rov video of the debris field that was sorted out three years ago?

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 12:39:45 AM »

Hey guys!!! I'm rather puzzled here in regards to the recent set of dives. Help me out and refresh my memory...but how far down is the rov video of the debris field that was sorted out three years ago?

200 feet.

They have only done the grid search that they planned down to 120 feet so far.

The have two divers who are capable of making the deep dive, but they would rather send a machine.

All of this is in the dailies.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

George Lam

• T2
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 01:01:10 AM »

I had a little fun and created an approximate scale diagram of the depth of the anomaly in relation to the Nai'a and a reference skyscraper.  The reef edge/cliff is approx. as well and I based it on the second image below from the Niku VII analysis update newsletter.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:05:56 AM by Greg Ladjimi »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 05:40:56 AM »

I must have jiggled somebodies bobber with one of my posts. An advocate of one of the other "Amelia" sites contacted me and became rather nasty in his performance to get me to the other site. After he refered to me as an "uninformed newbie" (which  I am) I decided if he was somebody from North Dakota who knew how to raise cows he couldn't be all bad. So I checked out some articles which I'm sure some of you are familiar with, and decided they could use a little "extraordinary proof" Jeffrey, and I hope they find some because they'll have a hard time with the success end of it in any case.
That would be some heck of a tail wind they would have encountered if it got them to New Britain, wherever it is!
The point is with all the places between Lae and Howland, you could pick any where and decide this was the place Amelia landed, make up a story, verify it with assumptions and quotes from people long dead, but who "were there" and you've got a fundable product!
I think I'll stick with Ric and the crew. They've got the extraordinary courage  and determination that will get us somewhere, and nobody has provided proof they are wrong.

As always, agreed - 'extraordinary proof' is in order anytime presence of Earhart is claimed.

Sounds like you got pegged by an 'East New Britain' adherent, whether Billings (not of North Dakota) or otherwise I know not -

Edit - Neville: [I NOW have it on impeccable authority that it was NOT Billings... who is CERTAINLY NOT from North Dakota, in any case as well ; ) ]

And to stay somewhat on topic, will note that ENB doesn't lend itself to ROVs, and it's far from the current GPS track, such as it is.

TIGHAR is certainly having a time with her ROV effort.  I'm not a huge 'anomaly' fan I admit, but I am really sorry to see that as there are good people out there doing their best I realize, much was put into this to make even a scaled-down search happen and I know much was counted on there. 

I really hope that even the very capable technical divers won't try to overcome this ROV gap at too great a risk - the location is so remote that we could become witnesses to something not so good if all didn't go just right for them.  There must be sane limits and I am sure we're all counting on the leadership to ensure those bounds are kept well despite the temptations some may feel.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:00:47 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »

I really hope that even the very capable technical divers won't try to overcome this ROV gap at too great a risk - the location is so remote that we could become witnesses to something not so good if all didn't go just right for them.  There must be sane limits and I am sure we're all counting on the leadership to ensure those bounds are kept well despite the temptations some may feel.

Exactly right, Mr. Neville sir. It is NEVER a good idea to risk live people to try and find dead people. Never.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

jgf1944

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »

KUDOs to Professor Moleski for his calm and rational handling of the ROV feature of NIKU VIII. Remindful of the Texas Ranger saw, "One riot, one Ranger."
jgf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org