Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Richard Beckham, Radio man from original Colorado search in 1937  (Read 14266 times)

Michael Calvin Powell

• T1

"Beckham lived through it all. Actually, he was in the middle of some of it. He is the last survivor of the official Navy search party that was dispatched to the South Pacific to find Earhart. It was Beckham who sent the first message to the world of Earhart’s fate."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865624304/A-century-of-life.html?pg=all
Tighar Researcher

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
Re: Richard Beckham, Radio man from original Colorado search in 1937
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »

Very nice story!

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »

Just a few hours away from me....now about that film footage......!!?!?!  :o
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 04:45:38 PM »

This link worked better for me

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865624304/A-century-of-life.html?

<<<<
Beckham was the only man who had a film camera on the search team and he still owns the only footage of the search.
>>>>

One wonders what he means by film "footage".  Sills?  Movie film?  Lets have a look at it....

And what they mean by getting him involved in the next expedition.

<<<<<
The family is lobbying to have Beckham included in an expedition to locate what they believe is part of Earhart’s plane, hoping it will solve the mystery of her disappearance. An organization called TIGHAR will begin the expedition in June.

“I've contacted them about it,” says Brandon. “They are aware and will keep me abreast with their plans.”
>>>>>

At the very least, we should make him an honorary Expedition Member.  Nothing to loose.

amck

Michael Calvin Powell

• T1
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:52 PM »

100 year old Mormon the last survivor of Amelia earhart search party

http://blog.chron.com/mormonvoice/2015/03/100-year-old-mormon-the-last-survivor-of-amelia-earhart-search-party/

Did TIGHAR get a copy of the footage he says he retains?
Tighar Researcher

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 05:03:02 AM »

Did TIGHAR get a copy of the footage he says he retains?

About 2 weeks ago TIGHAR on its Facebook page posted this about that film:
We've had his film (as a digital copy) for some time. There are some great air-to-air shots but all the footage seems to have been taken before they embarked on the Earhart search - possibly when they were bringing the aircraft back to the ship from Fleet Air Base, Pearl Harbor on July 3. I'm going to write a re-assesment of Beckham's testimony and we'll include the footage on the TIGHAR website.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Harbert William Davenport

• TIGHAR member
H. Wm. (Bill) Davenport
3555R Prof of Philos, ret.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »

We had quite a discussion with Mr. Beckham's son a few years ago.  Mr. Beckham remembers being on the July 9 search of McKean, Gardner and Carondelet Reef but the Colorado deck log does not support his recollection. The log lists "Beekham" (sic) "Sea1c" (Seaman 1st class) as observer for Lt. (jg) Fox in Plane 4-0-6 on the second of three searches flown on July 8, and he is shown as Fox's observer for the morning flight on July 10, but according to the ship's log he did not fly on the 9th.
The home movie film he took seems to have been shot on July 3 when the planes were bought back to the ship from Fleet Air Base, Pearl Harbor prior to departing for the Phoenix Group.

The Beckham footage is on the Youtube TIGHAR Channel at https://youtu.be/XQxMfFM2Hok
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:53:11 PM by Ric Gillespie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org