Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cyclone Pam  (Read 11332 times)

Timothy Smith

• TIGHAR member
Tim Smith
1142CE

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
Re: Cyclone Pam
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:46:53 AM »

Maybe Geoeye can get a new image of Niku after the weather clears for planning purposes.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »

I feel for these people, many of whom are going to loose what little they do have; and international aid, for whatever reason, doesn't as readily flow to that part of the world.

As an aside, every time one of these big ones plows through the area, a little bit more of Amelia and Fred's legacy gets washed away, forever.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Friend Weller

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »

But you never know.....maybe the "wheel of fortune" or "surfin' cabin door" might reappear or something new might be dredged up just for the occasion!
Friend
TIGHAR 3086V

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »

In regards to Friend's comments Monty....with a cyclone of that magnitude...does it have an effect on something say if the Electra is down 16,000 ft off of the atoll of Niku. Always curious about how that would have an effect on wrecks and such as this case the upcoming expedition. Would anything be washed away that far down at those depths is mainly what I'm asking?

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »

I wonder if Ric has received a status report from the captain/owner of Nai'a?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »

Randy

The sonar anomaly at 620 ft is too deep to feel the effects of a cyclone.  Probably not much of an effect even below 100 ft, depending upon the size of the waves.

The Norwich City Engine sitting on the edge of the reef, could easily be affected, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that it had finally toppled downslope from its current position.

We'll find out in June.

Andrew

In regards to Friend's comments Monty....with a cyclone of that magnitude...does it have an effect on something say if the Electra is down 16,000 ft off of the atoll of Niku. Always curious about how that would have an effect on wrecks and such as this case the upcoming expedition. Would anything be washed away that far down at those depths is mainly what I'm asking?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »

Michael Calvin Powell

• T1
Tighar Researcher

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 01:31:50 PM »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »

My God ... if something like that ever hits Niku directly, every remaining clue on the surface will be removed. Forever.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 219 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Chris Murphy

• T1
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 07:35:16 PM »

My God ... if something like that ever hits Niku directly, every remaining clue on the surface will be removed. Forever.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 219 ECSP

It makes you wonder if any similar storms have hit Niku over the last 75+ years.  How would such storms affect existing artifacts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org