Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What about an artifact of the week?  (Read 7795 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
What about an artifact of the week?
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »

TIGHAR has found lots of odd little things on Niku, primarily at the 7 site but also in the village and other areas, and has not been able to identify a number of them, although most of the more interesting ones have at least a brief writeup in the Earhart Project section of the vast website.

What about starting an Artifact of the Week on TIGHAR's Facebook page, as a way to hopefully attract more interest and funding to Niku VIII? Might even get some of those bits of metal and such identified, if they're exposed to a wider audience.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
Re: What about an artifact of the week?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »

I like it.  It would be interesting to see what kind of Q & A it would generate. Id be happy to share the posts through my blog. I dont have a massive following but I get a couple of hundred hits per week. 

Todd Attebery

• T1
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »

I like the idea.  The PIPA report has the most complete list that I'm aware of.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Expeditions/NikuVI/PIPAreport/PIPAAppendices/PIPAAppendixC.html

I've been curious about 2-2-V-3 and 2-2-V-13.  Aluminum tubes, cylinders and pipes have a limited number of applications in "typical" aircraft construction.... elevatator and rudder torque tubes, fuel lines, etc.  Having limited uses might make them more readily identifiable.... especially to the folks in Kansas who have been rebuiling an Electra.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

Capital idea! However, and this is just my opinion, I don't see it going anywhere.  The minder(s) of the artifacts will, and probably rightfully so (not an indictment, really its not), claim to be too busy to undertake presenting new artifacts on a weekly basis. That's not to say discussions regarding those items already shown on the website can't be discussed, after all there is an artifact analysis section on the forum. Sorry to be such a downer. Just being realistic that's all.   

John B. Shattuck

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:25:31 AM »

I like it; if not too burdensome.  Could be a useful way to direct some of the energy of the forum.

JB

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 06:17:40 AM »

I suggested TIGHAR's Facebook page because that is another way to meet a whole different group of people, many of whom are not TIGHAR members or regular participants in this forum.

Would it be a pain? Not too big of a one. because we already have a great deal of info about some of the artifacts. That would probably be enough to get the ball rolling.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:39:47 AM »

Would it be a pain? Not too big of a one.

If you're volunteering, go for it.

If you're asking someone at TIGHAR Central to make the choices and present the questions, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. 

I started this page in 2009 to try to keep track of some of the more interesting finds. 

I created the "Join the Search" board after an EPAC meeting a few years ago.  You should look at the five pages of topics there to make sure that you get the information about a particular artifact or line of inquiry to pool in an easily found location, if at all possible.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org