Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting historic things about Miami - relates to 2-2-V-1 study  (Read 70809 times)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Interesting historic things about Miami - relates to 2-2-V-1 study
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »

Is it too far a stretch of the imagination to think that that aircraft may have been repaired in the same facility that fitted our famous patch?

Yes.  Different airport.

I am told by a regular reader of the forum that the two airports were side-by-side.

I don't have a dog in this fight.

I don't think the odds of finding an airframe that was damaged circa 1937, worked on by the same shop with the same raw materials, and then preserved unchanged until 2014, with adequate provenance, are at all good.

Any patchwork found on such an old airframe could have been added any time during or after WWII, at least in principle.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »

It is such an elegant historic pursuit, though - for those of us who dream so much.  :)

I do think your points are absolutely good sense and true though.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »

History Miami houses the Pan Am Artifacts collection, but unfortunately it appears to consist mainly of objects rather than photos:

http://www.historymiami.org/museum/objects/pan-am-collection/

Happy searching anyway,

Karen Hoy 2610CER

Daniel Paul Cotts

• T2
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »

http://www.historymiami.org/museum/objects/pan-am-collection/
Navigational Tools, 1933-1991 (29 objects)
Just maybe there is an old sextant worth viewing.

Bessel P Sybesma

• T1
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »

Is it too far a stretch of the imagination to think that that aircraft may have been repaired in the same facility that fitted our famous patch?

Yes.  Different airport.

I am told by a regular reader of the forum that the two airports were side-by-side.

I don't have a dog in this fight.

I don't think the odds of finding an airframe that was damaged circa 1937, worked on by the same shop with the same raw materials, and then preserved unchanged until 2014, with adequate provenance, are at all good.

Any patchwork found on such an old airframe could have been added any time during or after WWII, at least in principle.

The idea is not just to find an airframe (which would be nice), but any aircraft we identify would probably have been photographed, perhaps documented, all kinds of other evidence and paths for research that might enlighten us...

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »

The idea is not just to find an airframe (which would be nice), but any aircraft we identify would probably have been photographed, perhaps documented, all kinds of other evidence and paths for research that might enlighten us...

Any surviving documentation at all on individual aircraft from the 1930s is extremely rare.  We know quite a bit, but not nearly enough, about Earhart's Electra because it was, after all, Earhart's Electra.  It is not impossible that we could get useful information by chasing photos of random aircraft in Miami during that period but the chances are so vanishingly small that it's not worth extending the resources to do it - unless somebody wants to take it on as a volunteer project.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »

It is not impossible that we could get useful information by chasing photos of random aircraft in Miami during that period but the chances are so vanishingly small that it's not worth extending the resources to do it - unless somebody wants to take it on as a volunteer project.

So ... how many TIGHARs do we have in the Miami area who are willing to go out and beat the bushes?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »

Maybe I can find a way to get down there if it can help.  I'm enjoying the history that is emerging here.

You're of course welcome to join us.  If you can make it just send me an email and I'll fill you in on the details.
Cool, thanks!  Please do - just maybe can.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

JNev

• T5
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 04:47:09 AM »

I think this one may be same day.....

http://www.kansas.com/incoming/eg0zc2/picture863456/alternates/FREE_960/earhart012911

This is one of those cool human moment pictures for me - the kind that makes me want to understand exactly what's going on with the characters at that moment and place.

Not sure we can know whose toolbox that is, but I cannot make out anything relating to sheet metal work.

My impression is that Bo McNeely's primary focus was nuts, bolts and grease; the metal work seems most likely arranged by whatever could have been borrowed or arranged locally.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 09:45:10 AM »

This is one of those cool human moment pictures for me - the kind that makes me want to understand exactly what's going on with the characters at that moment and place.

Call me a cynic but I think I know those two well enough to say that what you see is a carefully staged photo op.  The tool box has nothing to do with anything.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »

Call me a cynic but I think I know those two well enough to say that what you see is a carefully staged photo op.  The tool box has nothing to do with anything.

Good point - there was no such thing as a published candid photo of Earhart - nor Putnam, I suspect.  Not cynical, just calling it as it is.

No telling whose box that is - no, means nothing.  I simply zeroed in hoping to find a CP rivet gun, some clecos, cleco pliers, sets and such... LOL!!! 

I DO see what might be the handle of a file, but more likely an old-style screw-driver.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ron Lyons

• T1
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 07:56:49 PM »

Yeah I think unfortunately it's a staged photo.  He's not actually doing anything, just sitting there in a bunch of stuff that looks 'mechanicish'.  If he had his tools out he'd be up to his elbows in grease by now...

I'm always struck by Amelia's clothes.  They always seem ill fitting, was that the style back then or was she just determinded to dress as asexual as possible?

JNev

• T5
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »

The master publicist - just fitting right in at the ol' aerodrome amid the tools and scuffle of the trade... the aviatrix ready for her next sortie, a light moment between partners and lovers before she would part - forever.

She does seem deliberately almost mannish very often - but aviation was a man's sport mostly too, image-wise.  If she'd take them on it had to be on terms of doing all they did - and being as rough and tumble, I guess.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ron Lyons

• T1
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »

It's a very strange look... her clothes aren't just manly, they're way oversized. I've read that she made her own clothes for quite a while, so I think maybe it's just a combination of that, the masculine look of them, and also perhaps at that time period clothes were less form fitting than they are now. 

She seemed to be pretty careful with her image, so I would imagine she wanted to appear that way... so it's either just a style I'm ignorant of because it's so antiquated or perhaps she was trying to look more like Lindbergh?  She looks uncannily like him. 

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »

Much has been written about Earhart's fashion choices. She was a major trend setter - and yes, her image was carefully managed.  I recommend Amelia Earhart - Image and Icon and changed rather dramatically in the course of her nine-year public career (1928-1937).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org