Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question or Ric or anyone who can answer  (Read 12111 times)

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
Question or Ric or anyone who can answer
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

Has anyone thought about publishing a "TIGHAR: A History" type book?  An account of this history of TIGHAR from it inception to date? Not just about the Earhart project but about all of the work that TIGHAR has done over the years.  I know there are CD's, research papers, and an overwhelming amount of information that can be gleaned from this site but I always though it would be neat to have a coffee table-type book about how TIGHAR came to be, how they grew into what they are today, and all of the work they have done.  When I tell people that I have followed this group for over 20 years, I have been asked "Do they have a website?"  Followed by "Do they have a book?"  Just curious.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Question or Ric or anyone who can answer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »

Great idea.  All I need to do is clone myself or find a way to make time stop for a while.  I think the market will be bigger after we wrap the Earhart case.

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »

Dont all great authors hire a ghost writer at one point or another?  ;D

I think it would be a great conclusion after the "Finding Amelia" trilogy is complete.  A biography of the group who solved the greatest aviation mystery of the 20th century.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »

Great idea.  All I need to do is clone myself  ....

*shudders*

And that's all I've got to say about that.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »

Great idea.  All I need to do is clone myself  ....

*shudders*

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Thanks. I just ruined a computer monitor and now Im out of coffee.

That being said, if I could clone myself I wouldn't be nearly as grumpy.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »

Great idea.  All I need to do is clone myself or find a way to make time stop for a while.  I think the market will be bigger after we wrap the Earhart case.

We love you Ric, but... damn;)
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »

We love you Ric, but... damn;)

Wow :o  Sounds good anyway.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »

I've thought about writing a history, but it becomes a project of epic proportions, and I don't have the detail or the time that would be needed even if TIGHAR central opened the archives for me.  Ric is the obvious guy to write such a history, but he has a couple of other things to do these days, and a sequel to Finding Amelia to write first.

As Ric says, it will be a much more interesting history after we conclusively solve the Earhart story.  Might not be a bad idea to prepare for that, but until then we'd only be preaching to the choir, so to speak.

Andrew

JNev

• T5
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »

Well, with all due respect to others who I'm sure are able, I really do want Ric's next installment - point of view and all.  Not to blow his head up, but I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style in 'Finding Amelia' and was struck by the analysis and clarity of the telling.  If you've not had the pleasure, I suggest a copy.

What I'd like to impress upon Ric is precisely what has been suggested here - that the journey itself is a great story; no, there's no good 'breaking point', and yes, things will change - but a story exists.

Not too sure about the cloning, still...  ;D
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 09:05:49 PM »

Jeff, I wholeheartedly agree on the writing style of "Finding Amelia."  I've read more biographies on Amelia than I can count and a common characteristic of many of them is the overtly romanticized telling of her life and death.  In the end the facts come through but you have to weed through the embellishment to get there.  Ric's account of Earhart's final days and the immediate aftermath of her disappearance are unbiased and to the point, but not dry or unmotivated. You're left with a clear picture of the facts rather than an image of Earhart and her navigator embracing one another and  saying their goodbyes as they disappear into a cloud. *Cue the music and closing credits*   

I hope we'll see that continue with the next book. Sign me up for a copy. :)

JNev

• T5
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 09:27:23 PM »

Ric isn't a teary-eyed, helplessly vague ending kind of guy, for sure.  If he were, we wouldn't still be chasing this so doggedly.

There's no shortage of those who say we're wrong - or that wish to prove it; funny, the only way to really prove that is to find it elsewhere... and so far they don't seem to have outweighed TIGHAR's efforts on that.  We may be wrong yet (hah, no way!  ;)) - but in any case, TIGHAR doesn't seem headed for conceding that anything short of running the full distance to find out.

Ric's no shrinking violet either - I'm sure that motivates some critics; but he's done a lot in the telling to give a clear picture of how this vision of Niku came about and why it matters in the chase.  I have enjoyed all the books I've read on Earhart, even those that make no sense to me - but 'Finding Amelia' was the best and most informative read to me.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 09:38:11 PM »

Ric isn't a teary-eyed, helplessly vague ending kind of guy, for sure.

Thank goodness for that. I've read some very good biographies and then Ive read some that read more like a Jane Austen novel. And then there was that awful "Amelia" movie.... If it weren't for all of the airplane eye-candy, I would have left halfway through it.  Maybe when Ric is done writing a library full of books, he can direct a movie that's a little less cringe-worthy!   :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org