Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B-24 exhaust manifold specifics  (Read 14517 times)

Jeff Palshook

• T2
B-24 exhaust manifold specifics
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »

Ric,

I have been searching for information on the TIGHAR website on the B-24 exhaust manifold you found in/near the lagoon on Niku, but I have been unsuccessful in finding specific information.  I've found anecdotal comments that a part number on the manifold led to the conclusion that it came from a B-24, but I haven't been able to find anything which gives the actual part number or discusses the chain of evidence which determined it was from a B-24.  Can you help me out locating this specific information about the exhaust manifold?

Thanks,

Jeff P.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
Re: B-24 exhaust manifold specifics
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:46:08 PM »

Jeff

The manifold was found near Gardner 1, the survey benchmark that was placed by the NZ survey of 1985 just inside the inlet on the village side.  It very clearly was made from stainless steel which had been cut fairly crudely by hand, and had a part number stamped into it.  If memory serves, the part number started with 32-xxxxxxx, which upon research via sat phone turned out to be a B-24 part number. 

It was pretty exciting for a brief period between discovery and confirmation of the part number as we were pretty sure we had an aircraft engine part, but the more we thought about the part number the more obvious it became that it was not from the Electra.  Then came the confirmation that it was a B-24 part number which of course deflated all our enthusiasm.

I'll see if I can find photos of it and the part number.

Best

Andrew

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:52:31 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »

Here are some photos of the manifold

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »

And this photo shows the part number and a couple of other angles.

Craig Fuller was able to verify this part number as being from a B-24.  Somewhere I remember seeing drawings of the B-24 engine with this manifold evident.

amck
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:53:45 PM by Andrew M McKenna »

Krystal McGinty-Carter

• TIGHAR member
  • Kilo Mike
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:18 PM »

I had never seen those photos before, Andrew. Thanks for posting! 

Jeff Palshook

• T2
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:54:56 AM »

Andrew,

Thank you for your posts in reply to mine, especially for all the photos.  That was the specific information I was looking for.  I think "32" was Consolidated's manufacturer number for the B-24, so having 32 in the part number stamped on the piece makes sense in tracing the piece to a B-24.

Jeff P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org