Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Niku VIII Funding  (Read 209544 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Niku VIII Funding
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »

With just about two weeks left to find funding for a Niku VIII expedition this year, we've produced a new fundraising video.  You can check it out on the TIGHAR homepage.  Please share it with anyone you think might donate.  Our plan is to use it in an Indiegogo crowd sourcing campaign. 

George Lam

• T2
Re: Niku VIII Funding
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:46:56 AM »

Awesome, finally a promo video to Tighar's name.  Good work.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »

Ric,

I must admit to being somewhat disturbed by the sequence at 3:04 in your new video. It shows the submersible blasting off the underwater surface, creating a large cloud of "dust", and causing who-knows-how-much havoc with any potential artifacts below.

Do you have some protocol of movement in mind that would avoid such disturbances?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »

Do you have some protocol of movement in mind that would avoid such disturbances?

Good point.  Yes, we've talked about that.  Disturbance of the surface by wash from the thrusters is a concern with any vehicle, remote or manned.  Some disturbance is unavoidable as you probably recall from our work with Wolfgang.  I wouldn't anticipate anything like the blast-off in the video.  In that case the sub was resting on the bottom beside the midget Japanese sub so the thrusters had to propel the entire weight of the submersible up off the bottom.  We won't be parking beside anything that looks interesting. 

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »

Good point.  Yes, we've talked about that.  Disturbance of the surface by wash from the thrusters is a concern with any vehicle, remote or manned.  Some disturbance is unavoidable as you probably recall from our work with Wolfgang.  I wouldn't anticipate anything like the blast-off in the video.  In that case the sub was resting on the bottom beside the midget Japanese sub so the thrusters had to propel the entire weight of the submersible up off the bottom. We won't be parking beside anything that looks interesting.

In the 2010 videos, the ROV parked at least twice during the 8.55 minute section. It arose more gently, but still scattered some particles when it moved. In both cases, things that looked "interesting" (at least to me) were not discovered in real time, but only later.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »

In the 2010 videos, the ROV parked at least twice during the 8.55 minute section. It arose more gently, but still scattered some particles when it moved. In both cases, things that looked "interesting" (at least to me) were not discovered in real time, but only later.

That's right. We try to learn from experience.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:29:44 PM »

Our long-awaited crowdsourcing campaign is now live at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/we-can-find-amelia-earhart/x/8445833

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »

We won't be parking beside anything that looks interesting. 

Oh Really?

I bet if you see a definite AIA, you will park beside it to get as many pictures as possible.

By AIA I mean Any Idiot Artifact.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

We won't be parking beside anything that looks interesting. 

Oh Really?

I bet if you see a definite AIA, you will park beside it to get as many pictures as possible.

By AIA I mean Any Idiot Artifact.

Truth be told, I won't be making those decisions. If something interesting is found the underwater archaeologist calls the shots - and archaeologists are a lot more conservative than I am.

Russ Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:43:53 AM »

I wouldn't anticipate anything like the blast-off in the video.

Agreed.  The so-called "blast off" is not typical and, I strongly suspect, was done purely for dramatic visual effect.

... the thrusters had to propel the entire weight of the submersible up off the bottom.

Actually, I can't agree with you there.  Remember that a submersible in the water column doesn't operate like a helicopter or a Harrier jump jet in the atmosphere.  It is more akin to an (extremely maneuverable) airship in that the pilot can trim ballast so the vehicle "weighs" less than two ounces .. or even so it becomes positively buoyant.  A full power thrust is not at all necessary to heave its bulk off the bottom, but it sure looks cool on camera.  I'm certain the spot near the Japanese midget sub wreck was carefully chosen and the shot staged so as not to disturb the artifact.

The real time presence of live eyes and brains aboard the HOVs (Human Occupied Vehicles) is a major advantage that means anything "interesting" can be spotted more reliably and investigated immediately.  Plus, the wide field of view, powerful lighting, and precision control afforded by the Pisces subs will allow for a more prudent and considered exploration of whatever promising targets are detected.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:45:29 AM by Russ Matthews »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »

Good point. Thanks Russ.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »

Annnddddddddddddddd we're off!

I can say that because I live next door to Kentucky and that horsey-racey-thingy they do every year.

LTM, who never understood the appeal of Mint Juleps,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »

The video is excellent, Ric - great thumbnail of the best of TIGHAR's efforts I think.

Hope it brings some big interest!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jeff Scott

• T2
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »

There sure is a is big gap between the $125 donation and $300,000 donation levels!
It's not too late to be great.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »

There sure is a is big gap between the $125 donation and $300,000 donation levels!

True.  I added a bunch of new lower level "perks" but I'm having trouble coming up with rewards for $500, $1,000, $5,000, etc.

Ideas?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org