Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabin Windows Questions  (Read 9389 times)

Brad Beeching

• T3
Cabin Windows Questions
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »

Do you think there is any more information to be gleaned from Artifact 2-3-V-2 and Artifact 2-2-V-1 that might tie the two together? And are there any plans to further scrutinze 2-3-V-2 in the same manner we have investigated 2-2-V-1?
Brad

#4327R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: Cabin Windows Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »

I'm all for it.  Some has been done and certain sources eliminated, like the B-24 I believe.

2-3-V-1 so far has been shown to have identical thickness and curvature to Lockheed 10 cabin windows, which is a strong pointer because once plexiglass is formed it does not readily change shape or dimension under ordinary environmental exposure.  It takes more heat than even Niku produces to do that.

So per the model you've sketched out, what other types had that thickness / similar curvature plexiglass?  I'd say I wish we'd of thought of that before Dayton, but I'm sure some of us did - just a case of too little time, truly.  But it deserves attention, I agree. 

Make no mistake, I will admit up front being an enthusiast of the Lockheed coming to ground at Niku, but I think I can also reasonably say that the thickness and contour conditions of this item make it a very interesting artifact for the case of an Earhart presence.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Doug Ledlie

• T2
Re: Cabin Windows Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »

Jeff,

Given that the Earhart Electra appears to have had a customized window arrangement in terms of placement (?) and final number (lots less than typical 10E I think).  Do we know for sure that the windows she did have were at standard positions and of standard size?  Meaning direct from the regular production parts stock.

Thanks

Added April 23:
Found the answer myself at least anecdotally - https://tighar.org/wiki/Lockheed_Electra_10E_Special_-_NR16020

Windows come and go

"As delivered in July 1936, the airplane had only two windows in the cabin. These were the aftmost standard airline windows and were directly opposite each other. Then in January of 1937 a window was installed in the cabin door on the port side and a larger-than-standard window was installed on the starboard side. This last window is the one that was later skinned over in Miami."[5]

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:50:42 AM by Doug Ledlie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org