Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tough One  (Read 35537 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Tough One
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 03:48:27 AM »

To do a crew search for the different crews for each mission 42-31899 flew, use the crew search link in reply 3. Click aircraft search. Enter 42-31899. Click on mission number

Thanks Greg
This must be the place

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »

Any idea what size the jacket is?  Ball turret gunner's had to be small, as can be seen in the photo that Jeff posted above.
Cheers,
JohnO

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 04:44:08 AM »

The clues may be with the jacket itself. Any information regarding the manufacturer, date, labels, markings, size, damage, where it was handed over and by whom etc... might help to determine the theatre of war, Europe, Pacific, Far East therefore narrowing down the search.
We already have one candidate:
'Ye Olde pub' crew members
Sgt Samuel W. 'Blackie' Blackford, Ball Turret...

But there are many others, example:

"John L. "Blackie" Porter — a former stunt pilot — is credited with commanding the first organized air rescue unit in the theater. Known as "Blackie's Gang" and flying out of Chabua, India, they were equipped with two C-47 aircraft. One of their first rescue missions was the recovery of twenty people who had bailed out of a stricken C-46 in August 1943 in the Naga area of Burma"

Every little bit of information helps

This must be the place

Doug Ledlie

• T2
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »

Here's another possible tangent for the current jacket holder to consider...using the crew search at the link given earlier for 351st "load list", I find a John R White who is noted on two missions on 42-102955 (Chatterbox II).  Given that nicknames are often ironic/opposite (ie a tall guy gets "Shorty" or a fat guy gets "Slim") I could see a reasonable possibility for a guy with the surname White to get tagged as "Blackie".

Just a thought if other leads don't pan out

Jim Moulton

• T1
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »

I am a son of Reed Moulton  who was the Tail Gunner on Chatterbox  he was interned in Switzerland and know many of the relatives of Vee Taylor also interned in Switzerland and whom exscaped together in December of 1944. They are both deceased. Vee did a project with one of grand children that was very detailed and maybe that recording will mention Blackie. I am trying to get that recording as I am going to Switzerland in a few weeks to see Dubendorf, Adolboden, and Wengen. And if time permits Polbrook area in England.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 12:35:22 AM »

I am a son of Reed Moulton  who was the Tail Gunner on Chatterbox  he was interned in Switzerland and know many of the relatives of Vee Taylor also interned in Switzerland and whom exscaped together in December of 1944. They are both deceased. Vee did a project with one of grand children that was very detailed and maybe that recording will mention Blackie. I am trying to get that recording as I am going to Switzerland in a few weeks to see Dubendorf, Adolboden, and Wengen. And if time permits Polbrook area in England.

We're not getting anywhere trying to match the name 'Blackie' to any of the crew of your fathers B-17 Jim. Good luck with tracking down the recording and if you make it to Polbrook, welcome to the UK.
This must be the place

Blackie Blackburn

• T1
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »

I don't expect this is your answer if your person was flying in a WW II bomber overseas, but my father was a Navy pilot named Blackie, flying out of the U.S.   He came home with his flight jacket (dark leather, fur collar, waist length) and I wore it for many years with his permission.  He was flying amphibious multi-engine planes (PBY?) along the U.S. Gulf coast mostly, seeking subs as I recall.  Maybe this will only serve to eliminate one more pilot nicknamed Blackie from your search.  He crop dusted for a few years in NE Arkansas after the war, then practiced law until his death in 1981.  I also use the nickname Blackie.  I am Calon E. Blackburn, Jr.  Let me know if you need any further info.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org