Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia's Pilot license  (Read 5753 times)

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
Amelia's Pilot license
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:41 AM »

I found this rather interesting tonight and would like someone to clarify on how much fuel exactly Amelia used to fill up her Lockheed Electra. I noticed a huge difference in amount of gallons per document. Plus, am curious to know back in that time frame how often a pilot renewed their pilots license and why Amelia never renewed her license before her fateful flight.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/New-Amelia-Earhart-Photos-134331928.html#
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:56:15 AM by Randy Conrad »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Amelia's Pilot license
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:23:55 AM »

I found this rather interesting tonight and would like someone to clarify on how much fuel exactly Amelia used to fill up her Lockheed Electra.

"Weight and Fuel Capacity."

"The Fuel System of NR16020."

"The Chater Report."

... why Amelia never renewed her license before her fateful flight.

"The World Flight, First Attempt: Oakland to Honolulu, Preparations and Departure."

How to search TIGHAR's website.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Amelia's Pilot license
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:09 AM »

I noticed a huge difference in amount of gallons per document.

Unfortunately there remains a great deal of mythology, confusion and controversy about many elements of the Lae/Howland flight for which documented facts are readily available. Marty has provided several links.

Plus, am curious to know back in that time frame how often a pilot renewed their pilots license and why Amelia never renewed her license before her fateful flight.

Earhart did renew her license.  The entire episode is described in detail in Finding Amelia starting on page 16.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org