Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Last 90 Days  (Read 11045 times)

Tim Gard

• T3
The Last 90 Days
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:36:46 AM »

This documentary purports the Daily Express (NR16059) and Amelia's Electra (NR16020) may have been swapped in Miami, Florida during the 2nd circumnavigation attempt ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZqbb4BqFuk

Can anyone comment on the potential aircraft swap?

/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: The Last 90 Days
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »

Anyone can comment.   ::)

The big question is whether anyone can present a conclusive argument against the hypothesis.

Here is a short article on what seems to me to be the authentic history of the Daily Express.

The problem with developing a decisive rebuttal of the switched-in-Miami theory is that all photographic evidence can and will be waved away.  Whatever is built by humans can be rebuilt by humans.  If one submits photos of NR 16059 that differ from NR 16020, the conspiracy theorists will simply say that the photographs prove that the newer aircraft was rebuilt with the features of the older aircraft before being unveiled to the unsuspecting public--and, of course, NR 16020 was rebuilt at the same time with the features of the newer aircraft, so that it could play its new role as the "Daily Express."

I'm not very good at playing "spot the differences" with aircraft.  I'm pretty sure the undercarriage of NR 16059 lacks the "worm gear" of NR 16020. 

To have the two airplanes rebuilt as replicas of each other is not a trivial task.  It would take a multitude of skilled A&P folks in a well-equipped shop over a relatively long period of time.  All of them would have to have been sworn to secrecy, and all of them would have to have kept that oath until death.

I guess the problem can be diminished by flying in the replica NR 16020 and hiding the real aircraft; the fake NR 16020 takes off and then the real NR 16020 can be made over into a replica of NR 16059 at leisure.

I just can't bring myself to even begin to entertain the thought of doing so much work for so little gain.  The purpose, of course, is to provide AE and FN with extra fuel and super-secret spy technology so that they could dash over Japanese territory, make history-changing discoveries about Japan's preparations for war in the Pacific, then arrive near Howland Island just two hours off-schedule, as if they had been delayed by unexpectedly strong headwinds instead of by spying on behalf of FDR.  Gary LaPook examined all of the possible spy missions and concludes that none of them make any sense. 

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:10:12 AM »

This documentary purports the Daily Express (NR16059) and Amelia's Electra (NR16020) may have been swapped in Miami, Florida during the 2nd circumnavigation attempt ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZqbb4BqFuk

The documentary is just silly.  Doug Westfall has so many of his "facts" wrong I lost count.  For starters, the Daily Express was not lost somewhere in Siberia.  It was flown to Moscow and disassembled.  We tracked down the official report last year.

Tim Gard

• T3
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:34:42 AM »

Many thanks for your replies.

I chuckled when they showed the shot of an United Airlines DC3 (1:40), from pages 140 and 141 of The Great Planes by James Gilbert, suggesting it was Amelia's Electra starting up at Oakland.
/ Member #4122 /
/Hold the Heading/

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »

Many thanks for your replies.

I chuckled when they showed the shot of an United Airlines DC3 (1:40), from pages 140 and 141 of The Great Planes by James Gilbert, suggesting it was Amelia's Electra starting up at Oakland.

Yeah, I caught the DC-3 shot.  There are many, many other shots that don't show what the narration describes.  That's typical of the who's-gonna-know school of documentary production. 

If it's true that AE and FN met Merrill and Lambie in Miami I'd love to know what advice Dick and Jack had to give from their recent transatlantic round trip.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »

If it's true that AE and FN met Merrill and Lambie in Miami I'd love to know what advice Dick and Jack had to give from their recent transatlantic round trip.

Hmmmm ... "Whatever else you do, be really, Really, REALLY sure you're up on your Morse code"?

LTM, who knows just enough Morse to be really dangerous,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »

Hmmmm ... "Whatever else you do, be really, Really, REALLY sure you're up on your Morse code"?

LTM, who knows just enough Morse to be really dangerous,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER

..and double-check your radio gear.  Cripes... but then, here we would not be if she had, huh?
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org