Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Endangered Goose  (Read 8899 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Endangered Goose
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »

There's trouble brewing in Oregon. I hope they work something out.  Our new barn storage area isn't quite big enough to handle the Spruce Goose.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Endangered Goose
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »

Money or sex are at the root of most troubles. Where is Howard Hughes to straighten this mess out when we need him?

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »

The fifty-grand seems ridiculous - the real problem obviously is the long-term storage / display need and vitality of what has been Evergreen as a sponsor (I don't know what the books tell, but it seemed clear to me when I visited that place that such a grand thing wouldn't have happened without a lot of 'corporate interest'). 

Looks like some sort of gargantuan trust is needed from a large body of those who care - that thing dwarfs every other aviation exhibit I've ever seen, including the Air Force museum in Dayton which has some truly acreage-challenging exhibits (the 'goose' could easily be a generous crate for the B-36). 

Could the goose finally be cooked one day soon as the outlying aviation white elephant of all time?  Did Hughes only buy a few decades by poking congress in the eye by demonstrating that his bird would actually fly? 

I pray it is not so - and would hate to see that bird hacked-up for many smaller displays here and there...  Somehow "look kids, that aileron is longer than our driveway... just imagine what the whole airplane must have looked like" doesn't seem as impressive as being able to walk under, around and through that giant.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Chuck Lynch

• T1
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »

They should have left it in Long Beach.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »

This must be the place

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org