Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight  (Read 85211 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Amelia Rose Earhart world flight
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »

I think it is probably in TIGHAR's best interest to cheer her on, wish her well, and welcome any of her audience who happen to browse over thisaway. 

There is a slogan about Three Cs from a 12-Step recovery group: we did not Cause her, we cannot Cure her, we cannot Control her.  If we are friendly, we might be able to Cash in on her notoriety.   8)

If I was able to be that cynical I'd still be in the insurance business.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 01:05:11 PM »

I think it is probably in TIGHAR's best interest to cheer her on, wish her well, and welcome any of her audience who happen to browse over thisaway. 

There is a slogan about Three Cs from a 12-Step recovery group: we did not Cause her, we cannot Cure her, we cannot Control her.  If we are friendly, we might be able to Cash in on her notoriety.   8)

If I was able to be that cynical I'd still be in the insurance business.

Maybe one way to look at it is 'that's nice'; one way to look at any potential benefit from the event (not likely) is 'that's nice', and be willing to tip the hat to someone with a rare name who did make an effort to do something beyond the daily pale.  Y'never know, and I'm not sure being nice to someone doing something slightly vacuous constitutes collusion.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

Y'never know, and I'm not sure being nice to someone doing something slightly vacuous constitutes collusion.

I have no problem with the vacuousness of what she's doing, but to me she's a bit like the people who falsely claim to have medals or to have been a SEAL.  She is misleading people into thinking that she is piloting an airplane around the world when in fact she is going for a ride around the world.  Her accomplishment is putting together the sponsorship, and at that she seems to be brilliant.  But as for the flying, she has not done the hard work to gain the proficiency to do what she is leading people to think that she's doing.  She says that she'll be setting the record for the youngest woman to fly around the world.  Total BS.  You can't possibly set a record in an airplane you're not qualified to fly on a flight for which you are not Pilot in Command.
Amelia Mary was not above stretching the truth, but she did her own flying. 
End of rant.

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »

"I was just baggage, like a sack of potatoes," said the first woman to fly across the Atlantic.
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

JNev

• T5
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »

"I was just baggage, like a sack of potatoes," said the first woman to fly across the Atlantic.

As I read Ric's comments those very words came to mind.  Chalk one up for the original Earhart for honesty...

I certainly respect Ric's view of the thing; I suspect history will too - such claims seldom escape the ax of the historian.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »

Kenny Rogers perhaps said it best - You got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

I think in this instance, it's folding time ... otherwise it's akin to trying to build a seawall on the beach with a teaspoon, and the tsunami of public perception is just getting higher and higher.

Or so it seems to me.

LTM, who knows a little about letting go of your dreams,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »

Kenny Rogers perhaps said it best - You got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

I've said my piece.  We have other fish to fry.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

Randy Conrad posted:

Amelia's Namesake reaches Howland Island!!!
« on: Today at 04:06:16 PM »

Just wanted to share some information that Amelia's namesake is embarking on Howland Island as we speak! Kinda gives you goosebumps! Go to www.ameliaearhartproject.com for live tracking! Congratulations Amelia!!!

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 06:10:39 AM »

Embarking on? Surely you mean flying over, not actually landing on Howland. Last I knew that strip was not useable and not maintained at all, but of course I may have that wrong.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 06:28:25 AM »

Embarking on? Surely you mean flying over, not actually landing on Howland. Last I knew that strip was not useable and not maintained at all, but of course I may have that wrong.

Any attempt to land an airplane on Howland Island would result in another TIGHAR project.

JNev

• T5
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 08:00:37 AM »

Any attempt to land an airplane on Howland Island would result in another TIGHAR project.

Is the gound that rough, or is it the birds?

Probably also draw the violator a fine, as well - protected area.

In any case, great the lady made it over that hallowed spot; too bad couldn't lay a wreath at the Earhart Light.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »

Is the gound that rough, or is it the birds?

Both.  You could probably land a Cub with big bush-flying tires but it would tricky getting there.

Probably also draw the violator a fine, as well - protected area.

No doubt.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »

Passing over Howland.  This was as close as she got....or should have gotten.  Probably closer than AE and FN got now that I think about it. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 09:11:35 AM »

I'd love to see an Itasca-sized ship photo-shopped by the island in appropriate scale.  You can already see a lot of detail on the island, giving an impression of just how small it is.
Cheers,
JohnO

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 11:33:33 AM »

Well, she's off Hawaii and headed for Oakland, CA.  Assuming arrival this evening. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org