Advanced search  

Poll

Could Amelia Earhart be a face on U.S. currency?

Yes, if it was a limited run paper or coin.
- 2 (11.8%)
Yes! On one of the more frequently-used paper notes.
- 4 (23.5%)
Yes, on a high-value denomination that most people aren't likely to ever see.
- 0 (0%)
Yes, but only on a coin.
- 3 (17.6%)
No. That is far too unlikely to ever happen. Sorry.
- 8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: November 23, 2013, 02:44:07 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could Amelia Earhart be a face on U.S. currency?  (Read 7062 times)

Gabriel Arthur Petrie

• T1
Could Amelia Earhart be a face on U.S. currency?
« on: July 26, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »

Sorry if this subject seems impertinent, wasteful, or foolish to anyone. At least let me explain the background: recently, a woman in the UK led protests to successfully have author Jane Austen featured on the 10-pound note (replacing Charles Darwin).

I couldn't help but wonder if Amelia Earhart might ever grace the halo of a denomination here in the United States.

I thought this might be the right place to ask people about that possibility. I know that TIGHAR is a serious, scientific organization with real goals depending on facts and observations. Still, I felt that this was the most fitting place to ask this question, because I can't think of any group of people more interested in the personage in question.

Sorry if anyone here feels that the subject is inappropriate.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
Re: Could Amelia Earhart be a face on U.S. currency?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »

Why not?

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »

Only if she gets elected President.....

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

... Franklin wasn't a president - but obviously was a founding father.  Currency seems reserved to that level so far in our history and I have the feeling that may remain.
Hamilton on the $10 bill: neither a president nor a true founding father (but the first Treasury Secretary).
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:47:03 PM »

And Hamilton authored a majority of the Federalist Papers, so important in the creation of our Constitution.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »

Why wait for the US Treasury?

TIGHAR could always mint Amelia and Noonan silver bullion coins to sell as a fundraising item. Other organizations have done the same. Of course it could cost more than the effort would be worth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org