Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Report: Recovered F-1 Rocket Engines Came from Apollo 11  (Read 12505 times)

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
Re: Report: Recovered F-1 Rocket Engines Came from Apollo 11
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »

I am a member of the Kansas Cosmosphere and over Labor-day weekend I visited the just-opened Apollo F-1 engine conservation exhibit where you can view the process from an observation area. Bezos has arranged for the Cosmosphere to do the 2-year cleaning and stabilization process since they have experience in this, having previously conserved, and put on display, Gus Grissom's' Mercury Liberty Bell 7 capsule after it was recovered.

Bezos may have announced that these are the Apollo 11 engines however the Cosmosphere has posted no such news.

http://www.cosmo.org/photo/photo-restore.cfm?ID=37

Gus Rubio

• T2
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »

Note to self: drive to Kansas!  I would LOVE to see these babies in person, even if from a distance.  I was born in 71, at the tale end of Apollo, so I never actually experieced it first-hand.  This would be the next best thing. 

I applaude jeff Bezos for his recovery of these amazing pieces of engineering history.

James Champion

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »

Correction - I saw the recovered engines over Memorial Day Weekend. The identification of the engines came up during the tour, and guide indicated conservation may take a couple years, but identifying the Apollo(s) they were used on could take longer. The engines were to last only 5 minutes. After a successful mission there was no reason to keep inspection paperwork which would carry serial numbers of the engines and sub assemblies. Most Saturn V rockets were launched on similar trajectories, the first stage was discarded at around 60 miles altitude and 8000 MPH, and would have broken-up from aerodynamic forces and heating before impacting the same keep-out-restricted-area of the ocean at 400 MPH. Furthermore, many dataplates would have been made out of stainless steel, with the engines made out of space-age Monel alloys. The Monel alloys with their high nickel content in a salt-water environment results in the stainless becoming the electrochemical sacrificial anode. They are finding a few identification numbers stamped directly in some parts but tracing those numbers to a engine number, and then to a particular mission is still an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org