Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: The most perplexing issues  (Read 157718 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: The most perplexing issues
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »

Greg, it's not always a few inches of water on the reef...

"The broad, flat expanse of hard coral which surrounds the island’s shore dries at low tide to provide a very attractive surface upon which to make a forced landing. However, a disabled aircraft on that reef-flat would, at high tide, be partially afloat in 3 to 4 feet of water. Over a period of a few days tidal cycles would move the aircraft inexorably toward and ultimately over the edge of the fringing reef. From there it’s a steep plunge to depths of 2 to 4 thousand feet."

Wasn't it wedged into a groove with the tyre uppermost?
This must be the place

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

Greg, it's not always a few inches of water on the reef...

Jeff,
 "at the time" the Bevington Photo was taken it had a few inches.
The point of mentioning the few inches was that I could see the axle was high above the water and that the tire did not seem to be in a hole or groove (IMHO). Although that doesn't mean it wasn't at some time.

I think the plane may have moved from a high to low area before it sank off the reef. I am considering that wind may have been more of a factor in pushing it west towards the reef edge than water currents or tide floating it. Norwich City debris seems to head South East towards the lagoon which is consistent with the currents. So why might the plane not move South East as well? Perhaps because wind had more of an effect on the plane because it had wheels and Norwich City debris did not.  Maybe a combination of water current twisting the plane off its wheel chocks allowed it to then be pushed west by the wind. (Edit: more speculation- If this happened they may have tied the chocks to the wheels or used something else as chocks and that is what was helping hold the Bevington object there)

I am also considering the "knee deep" phrase in Betty's Notebook and the lower water levels during Betty's signals in considering that the plane may have moved in stages and was in a lower area during Betty's time than in previous days. For the radio to work and there to be movement of the plane, one possible explanation is wind pushed the plane and water never really got high enough to damage the radio until it was forced into even deeper water.
3971R

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:20:13 PM by Greg Daspit »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »

Hi Greg

I am of the opinion that the knee height comment was depth of water outside plane i have attached image of Amelia next to propeller blade

Thanks Richie 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »

Hi Greg

I am of the opinion that the knee height comment was depth of water outside plane

Thanks Richie

If the premise is that the water outside the plane was knee deep during Betty's reception and conditions were calm then I think the plane moved from the night before.
Say knee deep is about 1.6 feet
Per Time and Tide, during Betty's reception the tide was as low as -.6 meters (even lower but thats where the chart stops)
The night before the tide was +.75 meters, a difference of 1.35 meters or 4.4 feet from Betty's reception.
4.4 + 1.6 = 6' deep water the night before if the plane did not move.
The dry transmitter constraint is 2'-11 7/16". See fig 8.
I'm not saying your premise is wrong, only that if we accept the premise then the plane either moved or the conditions were not calm. My speculation above was that the water was knee deep outside the plane and it had moved from where it was the night before. See attachment in reply 48 in this other thread
3971R

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:28:37 PM by Greg Daspit »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:23 AM »

On the subject of maps/charts http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strategic-Air-Chart-Map-of-the-Pacific-Ocean-1935-/181195684414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a301aba3e#ht_838wt_880

Matt.

Whoa!  VERY interesting.  It's a U.S. Navy Hydrographic Office chart so Fred could have had one of these.  Various air routes are depicted including a couple that use Canton Island in the Phoenix Group as a checkpoint. Gardner is not shown. 

I think we need to have this map in the archive.  Anybody want to bid on it as a contribution?  If not, I will.

Matt Rimmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »

I can't bid Ric as he's only taking bids from the U.S. and Canada, but I'll put $25.00 "in the pot" who else is with me?.

Matt.

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »

Have to be careful NOT to bid against another member.  Just drive the price up.  Any ideas on how to do that?  Maybe only bid at 15 after the hour and 45 after the hour.  Where have I heard of something like that?  Let me think.  Seriously, don't want to bid each other up.   

6 Days left on this....plenty of time to watch it. 
TIGHAR Member #4154

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:58:47 PM by Dan Swift »

Charlie Chisholm

• T2
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »

I can't bid Ric as he's only taking bids from the U.S. and Canada, but I'll put $25.00 "in the pot" who else is with me?

Matt.

I'll throw down $25.

So how do we do that? When we have enough pledged for whatever it costs, Ric buys it and we send in the money as donations?

- Charlie

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:51:07 PM by Charlie Chisholm »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »

I'll throw down $25.

It's under control.  An anonymous member will do the bidding. Once we know how much it ended up going for I'll let everyone know and you can just make a donation via the website.

Joshua Doremire

• T1
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »

I suggest esnipe.com and set a bid for what you think it is worth to go through in the last 2 seconds. It will win you over the high bidder before they can bid more. Used it years ago with good results for things I just had to have. Keeps the pre-bidding amount and interest down. In fact they sold the company and it was bought with an esnipe bidder account...  ;D

You could also directly ask the seller to sell it outside of eBay or a private eBay auction esp. if you say what it is for.
TIGHAR # 4274R

Karen Hoy

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »

It appears the seller has ended the auction because "the item is no longer available."

:(Karen #2610CER

Matt Rimmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2013, 04:13:40 AM »

Saw that - disappointing.

I agree. I guess it's a lesson learned, in future with such online "finds" it's probably better to send Ric an email or private message, I feel bad that I didn't do that rather than posting on the forum.

Matt.

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »

That's good news. Interesting to note that the maps routes correspond to the South Pacific air ferry route which was initially established in the 1920s to ferry Army Air Service aircraft to the Philippines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pacific_air_ferry_route_in_World_War_II

This must be the place

Rich Ramsey

• T2
  • Hang Tough
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »

Am I the only one that finds it odd that Howland is listed as a stop? I didn't think they started the strip that soon?
"Hang Tough"
Rich

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org