Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NYT article on Decre's Midnight Ghost search  (Read 14901 times)

Alex Fox

• T1
Re: NYT article on Decre's Midnight Ghost search
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:45:13 PM »

Fascinating story.  And he reportedly got $200k from the French government to search.  Wouldn't that be nice...

Christine Schulte

• T1
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »

I'm quite proficient in French and have spent several hours going over M. Decrés website, but I'm still not entirely sure what exactly his theory is, or what kind of evidence it's based on. The website completely lacks the structured, scientific approach, logical reasoning and willingness to submit every part of the findings and the theory to public scrutiny I've come to value TIGHAR for. The SAFRAN/Decré theory seems to hinge on the testimony (felt by officials to be doubtful at the time) of the St-Pierre fisherman whose dog started to bay, and on a Coast Guard report about part of a white biplane wing being found off the coast of Maine several weeks after L'Oiseau Blanc disappeared. The "shot by Al Capone's bootleggers"- and "picture of a shot-down biplane"- parts seem to have been added to the theory at some later point. There's also a byline about parts of an old plane that were found in Maine in 1960, and sent to France. French experts at the time apparently thought there was too much metal for the parts to have come from L'Oiseau Blanc. M. Decré feels they were wrong, and has been looking for those plane parts all over Paris, but they can't be found. To me, it all sounds a bit too contrived to be true, rather like a roman-policier. (Like a puzzled comment on the website says: "S’ils étaient là, je ne vois pas pourquoi ils les auraient mitraillés" ("If they (i.e. L'Oiseau Blanc and its crew) were there, I can't see why they (i.e. the bootleggers) would have shot them") But as I said, I haven't be able to fathom it yet, and my assessement may be unfair.
They certainly seems to have a lot of equipment and a millionaire to foot the bill, though  :D

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:49 PM »

And it doesn't look like anything new has come up at http://whitebird.over-blog.net/ in almost two years. He must still be scouring Paris for those metal bits or something.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

Decrés may have a dash of the Anglo 'Artful Dodger' in him, for all I can tell by these breathy go-nowhere adventures; as odd as it may seem, there is always a millionaire or two lying about for the spider to drag in, for a time anyway.

As to the French Navy's support - who knows, but navies always need training, and in various odd places at that; maybe t'was a fortuitous 'marriage' in brief, but rather puffed up by this story to sound more like official French guvmint participation in Midnight Ghost than was truly the case?

Yes, I guess despite the excitement of it all (nothing since 2012, and looking back, much ado over nothing of substance), I am a 'SKEPTIC' (note the screaming emphasis).  What exploratory excitement there may have been now having turned to excrement I stand unamused at this 'effort'... I so wish it were not so, so wish that Nungessor and Coli could be found and put to rest, bless 'em and the noble nation that sent them forth in the day for their loss: Ric had a point - this IS arguably the most important open case in 'lost aviators' history. 

Think of the import of the Orteig Prize and aviation commerce with Europe as we know it today.  Consider the brave efforts of people like Nungessor and Coli and those who backed them.  Guys like Lindbergh, Chamberlain, and quite a few others risked their necks while backers risked reputations and fortunes. 

As I am from Georgia, Paul Redfern burns in the mind and heart as well (he was a native of SC but flew from near Brunswick, GA - and would have far out-stripped the NYC-Paris nonstop mileage had he succeeded, although as a 'route', one has to concede that trade with Rio was likley only a particle of that with Europe even then); sentimentally he's 'in there' with White Bird for me - but in terms of historic significance... well, how many know his name? 

Earhart was not really notching a new commercial route on the Earth's belt, but arguably notching one for women doing as men had already done (a stronger candidate might have actually been chosen, but hers and Putnam's ambitions saw otherwise). 

That Nungessor and Coli came so close to leaving Lindbergh for us to know as a mere footnote has to stand as the most remarkable of all those distance fliers of yore who remain now only as ghosts.  The contemporaneous Lindbergh believed his efforts were about to be put to an end as he realized the pair was in the air flying westward and thought they would surely make it, being experienced airmen.  Think of that, and that shining moment in time when the world watched for these two aviators to arrive over American shores.

As such, while I have tremendous empathy for the French in this matter, this man's chase of White Bird appears to be at least a near-abuse of public sentiment to me.  Of course he is pardoned if he knows not better...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:31:58 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »

Three years since any updated on his website, so, unless he started another website for some reason, this leads me to assume that nothing whatsoever has happened to advance his theory or search.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 EC
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org