Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A gentle suggestion about the 1938 NZ photos  (Read 11747 times)

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
A gentle suggestion about the 1938 NZ photos
« on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:49 AM »

Ric Gillespie and Jeff Glickman are back from New Zealand - with a potential treasure-trove of never-before-seen images of Gardner Island. They are also jet-lagged, their brains are exhausted from running on adrenaline for a week, and there are far too many disparate thoughts bouncing around in their brains right now for much organized, coherent, rational thought or analysis.

Why do I say all this? Simple - let's all try to be patient, and give the process time to work. By "the process" I mean the systematic, deliberate, thoughtful analysis of each photo negative and print; by persons with the specialized knowledge and advanced processing tools to do so.

I have absolutely no doubt that TIGHAR will release information, to its enthusiastic supporters and the public at large, so that everyone can have their crack at these images. TIGHAR has been transparent and open throughout this exciting and potentially game-changing event. If I didn't have faith in the organization and its leaders, I wouldn't keep sending them my hard-earned money.

Crowd sourcing can be a wonderful tool - hat's off to Richie Conroy for finding the sonar anomaly, as just one example! - and it will , I'm sure, be allowed to take place with the NZ photos. "Good things come to those who wait," the saying goes. Amelia and Fred have been waiting for more than 70 years. A few more days or weeks will not make any real difference in the end result, and I personally prefer a well-reasoned and thorough examination, as opposed to a "rush to analysis."

LTM, whose check for the analysis is in the mail,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Jeff Lange

• TIGHAR member
Re: A gentle suggestion about the 1938 NZ photos
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »

Well said! It has been 70 years already, so a few more days or weeks will not be the end of the world. Brighter things are on the horizon- so let's wait and see.
Jeff Lange

# 0748CR

Chuck Lynch

• T1
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:13:32 AM »

Yes, a little patience is needed here.

But this might be the most awaited journey slideshow since the Griswalds went to Wally World.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »

Thank you Monty, Jeff and Chuck.  You're exactly right.  This is going to take some time but we'll share everything we can as soon as we can.
Our trip was 100% successful.  The museum could not have been more cooperative. Matthew O'Sullivan, the Keeper of Photographs, worked closely with Jeff Glickman for the two days we were there to help assure that we obtained the best possible copies. The condition of the negatives is extraordinary.  Because they were preserved on the original roll of film in the original can for 75 years, they are not brittle or scratched - literally a time capsule. Jeff shot in NEF (RAW) format and we ended up with nearly 12 GB of imagery.  We, of course, left a complete copy with the museum.

I'm working on a report of the trip for the TIGHAR website. I'll let everyone know as soon as it's up.  I also have video of interviews with Matt and Jeff that I'll put up on YouTube.

As for the 1938 images, our intention is to make hi-res copies freely available to all TIGHAResearchers.  We just need to figure out the best way to do that. 

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »

... we'll share everything we can as soon as we can.
... I'm working on a report of the trip for the TIGHAR website. I'll let everyone know as soon as it's up.  I also have video of interviews with Matt and Jeff that I'll put up on YouTube.
... As for the 1938 images, our intention is to make hi-res copies freely available to all TIGHAResearchers.  We just need to figure out the best way to do that.

Openness + Transparency = Credibility. I'm willing to stand behind this organization and support it as much as I feasibly can. Who's with me?

LTM, who can be patient if he trys really hard,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Jeffrey Donald Shaffer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »

It's marvelous the trip was such a success! Thanks, Ric and Jeff.

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »

I'm willing to stand behind this organization and support it as much as I feasibly can. Who's with me?

Right on, Monty.  I too am willing to stand behind TIGHAR and support as much as can.

I remember in one of the ROV image threads Ric saying luck is an essential component.  NZ negs are indeed an extraordinarily lucky break, and thanks to Ted Campbell for rapidly bringing this trip to fruition.  Great stuff!

v/r John

(edited to correct grammatical error)

John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:34:47 AM by John Balderston »

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 10:22:09 PM »

Ric,

Welcome back from N.Z., hopefully the effort on your and Jeff’s part will pay off in solving this mystery

One thing that I truly wish comes out of this effort is a re-visit of the “Gallagher’s Clues”.  More specifically the following elements:

Clue 1– looking at the “spring tide” reference being more along the lagoon shore – as opposed to the ocean shore – where the location of the “bones under a ‘ren’ tree” were found.  Hopefully we will be able to narrow the area that was verbally recorded to be consistent with our new photo images.  e.g. can we now identify ‘ren’ trees in the 100’ above high water springs with the topographical map along the lagoon shore generated by the subsequent N.Z. ground survey.

Clue 2 – the reference to the S.E. corner may also include the “7 site” i.e. in the “old” N.Z. photos I think I see a vague trail leading NW of the 7 site toward the northern end of the lagoon.  Question, are there ‘ren’ trees in that vicinity?

Clue 3 – is there anything identifiable in the new N.Z. photos which may suggest numerous fire pits among the ‘ren’ trees (if any) in the vicinity noted above?

Clue 9 – the coffin wood material came from a “kanawa” tree growing on the edge of the lagoon.  Do the new N.Z. photos show a “kanawa” tree/grove in the area?  Remember Gallagher did state in another communication that the “kanawa” wood source was in close proximity to where the bones were found.

Clue 10 – in the new N.Z. photos is there evidence of a “small groove of coconut trees” – albeit separated by an impenetrable “belt” of brush - in the vicinity of the 7 site?

Conclusions/assumptions:

If the new N.Z. photos can add detail to Gallagher’s first person observations of the site where he found the bones and if these observations coincide with what we have observed at the 7 site this would certainly bolster our efforts at the 7 site.

I realize we all would like to see pieces of the plane but we must remember these pictures were taken almost a year after AE and FN went missing.  I am suggesting working backwards from the new N.Z. photos initially and see what else may suggest a migration from where we “hypothesize” the plane came down and where it may lie today.

Ted Campbell   

Dave Potratz

• T2
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »

I remember in one of the ROV image threads Ric saying luck is an essential component. 

Wholeheartedly agreed!   I'm also struck by an adage I've heard from more than one wise person:  "The harder you work, the Luckier you get."   

I feel TIGHAR exempifies this, and deserves every bit of good luck received.
It's easy to gain a strong feeling that more is on the way.

Boy, am I glad I upped my membership to Researcher!  Highly recommended to those who are considering.  This is truely terrific stuff, IMHO.

LTM,
dp
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org